1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Line of Scrimmage

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MusicMan, Dec 28, 2011.

1. MusicMan

MusicMan Member

Nov 14, 2011
    With all the injuries to the offensive line, the Steelers have performed better than I would have expected both in the run game, protecting a virtual statue against one of the best defenses in SF and holding blocks so receivers can get open. It's not like they run a New England-style offense where Brady barely gets touched because he gets the ball into the hands of the playmakers so quick.

It's a nightmare to have to block for so long on most of the pass plays they run.

I also think losing Aaron Smith last year for so many games has actually helped the D line this year. Overall, the D line looks good - and because of that, our secondary is performing above the line compared to last year too.

Playoff games are won on the line. Let's hope we can control the line, control the clock and the games that are coming up.

MusicMan

2. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Here! Here!

I think Ben goes into a zone with the playoffs coming and the rest of the offense follows his lead. HERE WE GO STEELERS! HERE WE GO!!

3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    We seem to play better when we have a point to prove. I agree that, while the oline comes in for a lot of deserved stick, it also needs praise when it performs well.

I'm not sure I agree on the d-line: play-offs will be the real test. I can see Heyward breaking into the starting line up next season and making a HUGE difference.

4. MusicMan

MusicMan Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You don't think the d-line is playing better than last year (and subsequently our entire defense is playing better)? I think our D is waaaaay better this year. Heyward is really starting to contribute and I think you're right...next year I'll bet he starts.

5. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Not consistently better. That said, I think the way Lebeau has focused on pass defense this year means the d-line is not being as noticeable as in years past.

6. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Particularly our pass defense. Its very good this year with Carnell coaching these guys..

7. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Bringing in Carnell was one of Tomlin's better decisions concerning assistant coaches.

8. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You forgot how well they played Monday Night in SF when they had a point to prove.

9. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Sorry but not enough sacks or forced turnovers for my liking or compared to what we've been accustomed to anyway. That said they're still performing well overall and I also agree with you on Heyward. I think he's gonna be a big time playmaker for us in the future.

10. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Well, they certainly did prove a point... :frustrated:

11. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I guess I see this in both a positive and negative light.

No pressure, no sacks, no turnovers. Though Harrison missed a bunch. Woodley missed a bunch. Big Snack is not the same. Teams are running on us. Ryan Clark is our number 1 run stopper.

Having said all that. We are tops in points allowed in the AFC this year, secondary has improved (though we havn't faced many quality QB's). If we get healthy at the right time, our Defense can carry us so long as the offense doesn't turn the ball over.

12. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    This is probably the most important point. With the defense not brining in many turnovers, the offense needs to protect the ball. It's okay to not get any turnovers as long as the defense stops the opposing offense (which, in general, the Steelers D is doing), and the offense protects the ball and scores.

I think this offense can do this. But they key is: focus.

13. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    yep Tomlin made an excellent choice here....I hope our pass D keeps improving