1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The last time the Steelers drafted in the top 5.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Jan 25, 2021.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    1973 - J.T. Thomas, Fla St DB. Selected #4 overall.

It's been 47 years since the Steelers drafted in the top 5 and 50 years since they selected Terry Bradshaw #1 overall.

Since that 1974 draft the Steelers average draft position is 19.85.

This statistic shows the stability of this organization through the years.

I'm not going to lie. If there is ever a season that this team could pick up a top 5 draft pick next year might be that opportunity. Our schedule will be much tougher next season and the rest of the AFCN seems to be progressing our Steelers might be regressing. I am no way advocating for a dismal 2-14 or 4-12 season but picking in the top 5 might be our best shot to replace Ben after his contract is up next season. The timing wouldn't be better for a dismal season.

This team still has a bunch of talent and therefore will probably win 7 or 8 games and maybe even more if everyone stays healthy and probably have a 15-22 slot in the 2022 draft.

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    As I said in another post. No way we get top 5 pick unless we trade for it.
    Ben( no matter what anyone says) is still good enough for 7- 8 wins maybe more....and with the other talent on the team....well your looking at 7 and 9 at worse. Worse! I still honestly think only Qb in AFCN better than Ben is Burrows, and he's coming off a big injury.
    Shore up the O Line we get 2 the playoffs again.
    Make it 2 the dance ,and anything can happen.
    I will never 4get Ben's second season. I was on a Steelers Board...I can't remember which one, but halfway through the season....half the board was like....we should blow it up, no way we can compete with , Bengals, Ravens, be lucky to have a 7 and 9 season. Low and behold. I believe we Won a SB that year. So thing are never as bad as you think...is all I'm saying.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Yeah... no.

2022 Quarterback Class is loaded. Granted, there is no Trevor Lawrence but that class has plenty of very good options to choose from. Phil Jurkovec is still my personal pick should he do well in 2022.

4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Kind of impressive I guess. I know it's been a hell of a long time. I told this to someone and they started saying how about the Patriots. Damn youngsters, too young to know the Pats sucked for many years prior to that lucky ass 6th round pick.