1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The importance of Mark Barron...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Daddymac10, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    The group of Bush, Williams, & Barron solidifies our ILBs. I'm aware most of you hate Barron ...but do you remember what it was like before he arrived?? He may lose a battle here & there, they all do sometimes ...but at least he has the ability to compete covering TEs compared to what we had before. I like Bud Dupree, but losing Mark Barron is absolutely not an option if we still wanna be competitive defensively. He's part of the reason why our defense improved so much last year. Devin Bush has size issues covering TEs, we have possible replacements for Dupree, but we have no replacement for Barron ...what do you think??

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    bush taking all the reps this time, surprised the team held him back . i guess to get their money worth out of barron. we could use barrons cap on more pressing areas imo

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Remember the " Vince Williams/ Keenan Allen game " Aaaaarrrggghhhhhh

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Without Barron getting beat consistently on third down passes, the rest of the defense will have more work and they might get tired.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with what you are saying @Daddymac10 but do we know what the reason for the improved defense really is? I mean some want to point to Bud's improved play, some want to say the trade for Mincah, some say it was the signing of Nelson and yes some say it was the signing of Barron. I am on the side of Mincah but do believe it was some of all. Now with that said for me it isn't about hating Barron for me as it is about the cap hit/cap savings we are going to get letting him walk.

A few here talked about upgrading at safety and sliding TE into Barron's role and I love that idea. I am not sure who we could get in FA but I am sure there is a guy there that come in and help as well as UG3.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Barron sucks, cut him we need the cap space.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Barron isn't good and he certainly isn't worth the money to a team desperate for cap space.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    As long as Vince doesn't have to cover anyone i'm all for releasing Barron. Then the 5th year one year wonder will have to cover again :eek: If he is retained...at 16.2 :facepalm:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Barron is a bit of an enigma, I saw his horribly out of position numerous times last year but Tomlin raves about him? I goal line D he seemed completely lost and at other times he seemed to know the other teams play call.

I wonder if he anticipates and acts on that anticipation......sometimes nailing it, and sometimes looking like he was transported into the play by the Starship Enterprise at the exact time of the snap.

10. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    he's technically still learning the position and is using his safety instincts for a position that it doesn't apply to

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That explains some of his issues against the run, but the guy also can't cover. You would think those safety instincts would help him in that area.

12. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

not at that position.... at the safety position, he would have more time to diagnose a play.... further towards the line of scrimmage though, and the read and react skills are far more quick twitch

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That makes sense, but even once he's in coverage, tight ends and running backs seem to be able to shake him too easily. Far too often, the opposition's best offensive play is to find Barron and throw it there.

14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Not sure Bush will be ready to replace Barron's coverage duty in year two, I hope he is. My only gripe with Barron is he doesn't look like he is giving 100% at times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    His first year in this defense too. Many new parts to bring together. Bush gave up many a TD to backs and TEs. Only when a catch is made he sucks but many more he had good coverage and the ball didn't come that way but most only see the catches and criticise them. He also was asked to do many things at times. He was also highly regarded for teaching bush. Still better then vince. I think it would be a huge mistake to change the two inside backers this quickly. Let these guys play together a couple of years. We will have enough turnover on this defense with possibly bud and hargraves and possibly hilton and kelly. I wouldn't create more holes. That's my opinion on the subject. :cool:

16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think the defensive improvement was 100% Minkah!

I do agree some "experts" say Barron's play did improve toward the end of the year, but I sure didn't like what I saw earlier in the year. It looked like he took some plays off.

Add in the fact Vince came in and made some splash plays when he was in there... I mean this is why you jump up to get Bush, he better be able to do everything Barron can do, but waaayy better ... if not it is a waste of a pick.

I wouldn't mind Bush and Vince as the starters. How often do we even have 2 lbs on the field anymore? Not much.

Can we save anything if we cut Barron?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

I agree we got Bush for this reason and gave up a lot to get him so let him step up and fill the Barron role as well as UG3.. Cutting Barron is a 5.25m savings.....get it done.