1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The "I was wrong about ____" Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel_Elvis, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I was wrong about Sweet Baby Jesus, it's a pretty tasty beer.

I was wrong about Mike Wallace and Lamar Woodley - I bought both of their jerseys, should have bought Heath Miller and James Harrison.

I was wrong about Haley, after two 8-8 seasons, I thought his offense stank.

2. funkysteelersfan

funkysteelersfan Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Ok, I'll be the guy who admits that he was dead wrong about Limas Sweed. I thought he was going give the team the kind of contribution that Martavis Bryant has this year.

3. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I am ok with letting Sanders go. We would not be able to afford other players we need to sign. It is a good problem with the talent we have drafted at wr. Bryant pick was huge and gives us different type of wr. I think Wheaton can give us similar things to Sanders in the end.

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My biggest wrong was Gay.

5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I was wrong about my ex-wife.
    Iwas also wrong about Bell. I thought he was going to be injury prone.

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Aye, me too. I was dubious about resigning both Harrison and Kiesel (as heretical as that felt), given the need to rebuild... but the team has got the balance between vets and younger players fairly right this season. With a few exceptions.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I was wrong about Tomlin, oh wait no I wasn't
    I was wrong about Bell, oh wait, no I wasn't
    I was wrong about JH, oh wait, no I wasn't
    I was wrong about Ben being sacked less than 45 times, oh wait, no I wasn't

Ok, real one...

I was wrong about Haley, he sold Ben on the importance of living to fight another day. He gets rid of the ball quicker and checks down more than he ever did.

8. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    i had to have the wife type it
    I just couldnt........

9. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Ok, I'll play. I think we were all wrong about Cortez Allen.....so far, jury is still out. I was wrong about Shazier. I hated the pick at first. I was so focused and concerned about our secondary I wanted one of the top 3 corners or top two safeties. A 4-3 OLB in my first thoughts was stupid. After a day or two of thinking I came around. Our defense has not been the same since Farriors departure. Just goes to show the team knows better me.....most of.the time.

Cajun

10. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I was wrong about my pre-season 16-0 prediction.... oh well; maybe next year...lol

11. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Fantastic idea for a thread! I've really enjoyed reading it. If only I had been wrong about anything... :thumbs_up:

Macdaddyo will like this one. I was wrong about Kelvin Beachum. For a long time I had him pegged for a Ramon Foster-type career. I thought he'd be a pretty good backup at a few positions, and maybe someday start at guard (actually, I thought he'd replace Foster eventually). Everyone seemed to jump right on board with him being our new franchise LT when he replaced Adams last year. I noticed he had plenty of problems of his own, and didn't even have the physical gifts almost all LTs have. It takes more than hard work to make up for all of that; it takes an incredible amount of skill, too. I was extremely skeptical of him being the long-term solution at LT.

Now I think he really can be the guy. He might never be elite, and I still see him get physically manhandled sometimes, but an overachiever that can't help getting manhandled isn't really any different from our underachievers that have no business getting manhandled, but do anyway. He'll deserve a high contract, and I feel good enough about him to not spend a high draft pick at the position. And with our secondary, that's huge. Consider me a fan! I really hope he cleans up his game even more and becomes a reliable anchor at the position for years to come.

I was also pretty wrong about Le'Veon Bell. I thought we reached for him. I ultimately graded the selection a B, but far from a solid B, as you'll read below. Here's what I wrote after the 2013 draft:

On a smaller scale, I was wrong about three of our cornerbacks. Antwon Blake and Brice McCain have both outplayed my expectations on defense. More notably is William Gay. I liked him in '07 and '08, hated him in '09, and liked him again after that. But I always maintained he should never be higher than #3 on the depth chart. This year, I was surprised to see him perform well as a starter. We are still desperate for young talent at the position, but if he hadn't come through for us this year, we'd be in much worse shape, for sure.

That was harder to do than I thought it would be. I feel like I need to brag a little to get back on track. Can we start a "I was right about ____" thread?

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I was wrong about Harrison, he has played better than I expected him to.

13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Lol, only on the condition that
    - we have an agreed definition of 'bust'; or
    - all players discussed are now retired, just to be sure we actually were right.

14. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I was wrong about Sean Spence. While I rooted hard for the kid's recovery, I didn't think he'd ever play a snap in the NFL after that injury.

15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Oh god no.... I'd get severe carpal tunnel syndrome. :cool:

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I've got another one... I was wrong about Santonio Holmes. I was utterly PO'ed that we gave him away to the Jets for a 5th rounder. Well, I'm not sure we've missed him all that much, and if I'm not mistaken the pick that we got from the Jets indirectly turned into AB after the BMac trade with the Cards.

17. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Colbert traded Holmes for a 5th and then that 5th to the Cards for Mcfadden and a 7th(AB).

18. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
  19. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    a little off topic but how the hell did brown last until the 6th rd?

he rob kill or molest someone?

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Size probably had something to do with it, maybe the school too, don't recall where he went but the draft isn't a science, look at this very thread, some thought Bell was a bad pick and others felt it was a great pick. Everyone can look at something and see things differently. How did Brady last to the 6th?

21. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Its a crap shoot. Some 1st Rd picks are busts and some 6th Rd picks are HOFers :shrug: Go figure. It really is a inexact science.

22. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I was wrong about Cortez Allen. I thought he was gonna be really good for a long time at corner. That might not be the case now. Also I thought Mitchell would be really good as well.

23. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I was also wrong about Cortez Allen. He's one of the most tentative guys I remember seeing in a Steeler defensive backfield. It's almost like he's afraid of contact. I've got serious concerns now about his long term viability as an effective CB. Hope I can say I'm wrong about that one day.

24. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Lol! I LOVED the Danny Farmer pick too! I thought he was perfect for us and would become the next "Easy" Ed McCaffery.

25. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Also, I was very wrong about Steve McClendon. I thought he was just a guy, but he makes ALL the difference to our run stopping. When he's in, we are a much better rush defense.