1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Haley/Fichtner relationship - Interesting to watch!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by diehardsteel, Feb 9, 2012.

1. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The two key "players" on our new & improved offensive coaching staff. All bruised egos aside, will they become the Dynamic Duo or The Odd Couple? I say dynamic - what's everyone else think?

2. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Re: The Haley/Fichtner relationship - Interesting watch!

Person A has been an NFL head coach and led that team to a playoff appearance; has also been the offensive coordinator for a Super Bowl participant.

Person B has been the OC at Memphis and Arkansas State.

I expect Person B to keep his tail tucked between his legs if he knows what's good for him.

3. MikeFanForLife

MikeFanForLife Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

And to keep his eyes and ears open.

4. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

fichtner is an assistant coach and understands his role. he's a professional. and he's a southern boy and as nice as they come. an aggressive personality (haley) mixed with a passive personality (fichtner) . . . that'll work.

if it's drama ye seek, tune in to the big ben/haley show. it'll be interesting to see these two egos coexist.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    LOL, well said. :cool:

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Yeah, a failed head coach at that. Why does Fichtner have to keep his tail tucked between his legs? If Haley has half a brain he will seek Fichtners input, he's only been here for years and will have a good idea on what works and what doesn't. And pick his brains about Ben too. Everyone thinks Fich is BA's clone, BA was his boss, what was he supposed to do, "no Bruce you dumb jackass, do it this way instead". I don't know where you work 12 to 88 but thats a really counter productive attitude you have.

7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm pretty sure the equation goes like this:

Win games + Win Championships= Better Coaching Chances + more money

No reason to believe that they won't work well together.

8. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011

A "failed" head coach? Seriously? He took a 2-14 team to the playoffs within two years. Point was, I don't expect Fichtner to second-guess his OC. Do you?

9. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011

I'm reserving judgment overall until I see what sort of progress our offense makes. Until then, it's all speculation.

But I'd just like to point out that Dick LeBeau was a "failed head coach." That term of derision doesn't seem to matter in his case, eh? ;)

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Its funny that our 12 - 4 record is dismissed but the Chiefs win 8 games his first season I think and then go 10 - 6 and win the division. Does it escape people that the division sucks and 10 - 6 is not something to thump your chest about. Just seems odd to me. Oh, and this year he was fired before even finishing the season, so yeah, that's a failed coaching job to me. Our own HC has gone 60 - 28 and doesn't even get the credit being heaped on Haley. As for Fich, second guess Haley? No. But nor do I think he needs to run and hide like a scared puppy as your "keep his tail tucked between his legs" suggests.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

I'm reserving judgment overall until I see what sort of progress our offense makes. Until then, it's all speculation.

But I'd just like to point out that Dick LeBeau was a "failed head coach." That term of derision doesn't seem to matter in his case, eh? ;)[/quote:mdasv6p2]

Definitely, I've said a number of times, just because you fail as a HC doesn't mean you can't be a successful coordinator. We'll find out if AZ was a flash in the pan or if he can get this offense rolling like we all think it can.

12. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think they will mesh well together?Tomlin,Haley,Fitchner all have a good track record.I would love to finally score on a consistant basis inside the Redzone.Hopefully,We will be dangerous on Offense with our new OC?

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i'd expect person b to show person a his winning SB ring. something person a has never done. person a can show person b how to be fired from many a job unlike person b. :cool:

14. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Well now Tomlin has a guy working for him who has direct and strong lines of communication to the Rooneys. I think that stinks more than a little and I'll bet Mike does too.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

:roflmao:

16. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think this could be a great thing for Fichtner's career. Haley is a very good OC and has had significant success at the NFL level. Fichtner can learn from Haley for a few years and be more ready to take the reigns of his own offense one day. Maybe with the Steelers if Haley gets another head coaching opportunity.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he will be a big help to haley. MT never messed with the O much. kirby is not here. goodwin is gone. fichtner used to be the WR coach and is the qb coach. if they are gonna keep some of this offense, and some of the same jargon , he will be invaluable to haley. :cool: