1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great TD4Watt Redraft

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, May 2, 2021.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    So I am sitting around, reading a few "expert" reviews of the Steelers 2021 draft. I couldn't help but think to myself, "Why all the hate?".

I like the Steelers draft. I do. But I have to admit. I do feel like it could have been epic, if a few things had gone differently. So I started thinking to myself again, "Who else was available when we traded up for Loudermillk?". "What if we didn't draft Freiermuth"?

So now that we know where everyone went in the draft, why not do a redraft? It is like a mock draft, except this time around, you know all the answers before you take the test.

So here are the rules for my mock redraft.

The Steelers pick where they picked in the actual draft. This will include the 5th round trade up.

If I pass on a player that the Steelers did select. I will assume he is off the board before the Steelers select again.

There will be no additional trade up or trade downs.

The Steelers can only select players that were selected after their pick.

These picks are being made as if I ran the show. These are the players I would have selected if I had complete control over the Steelers Draft Room.

Now that we have some ground rules, lets dive into the picks.

Round 1 (24) Travis Etienne RB
    The Steelers are in desperate need of a starting running back. Etienne fits the Steelers current offensive philosophy far better than any other back in the draft. He does lack the size to be considered a power back. But the Steelers will address the need for a power back later in the draft.

Round 2 (55) Creed Humphrey C
    The second biggest need on the Steelers is clearly at center. Addressing the Tight End position is tempting with Freiermuth still on the board. But Creed can not only be a day 1 starting center, but also has a chance to be a year 1 pro bowl selection.

Round 3 (87) Spencer Brown T
    Not only is this a pick at a position of need, but this is also quite a value pick. Most people had Brown slated to go in the 2nd round. Having him here in the 3rd makes the selection a no-brainer.

Round 4 (128) Robert Rochell CB
    Drafting offense in 3 straight rounds means that all the top corners are long gone. Rochell is a guy that can contribute right away. Departures of Nelson and Hilton make this the biggest position of need on the Defense.

Round 4 (140) Brevin Jordan TE
    So the Steelers pass on Pat Freiermuth, but they end up with Jordan in the 4th round. Jordan wasn't rated as high as Muth. But in the 4th round this is great value for a pretty nice TE prospect, with some pretty nice receiving skills. Not much of a blocker, but Freiermuth isn't either.

Round 5 (156) Daviyon Nixon DT
    This is purely a BPA pick. AluAlu is back. Tuitt and Heyward are locked in as starters. But when you can pick up a guy like this in the 5th round it is worth trading up to do it.

Round 6 (216) Jacoby Stevens S/LB
    Year after year we keep hearing about the Steelers utilizing a hybrid S/LB in pass defense. Heres a guy that has chance to fill that role. Stevens is a project, but then again, this is the 6th round.

Round 7 (245) Shaka Toney OLB
    The Steelers neglect to address the outside of their defense until late in the draft. Luckily for them they are able to grab a guy who has no business still being available in the 7th round.

Round 7 (254) Kylin Hill RB
    Kylin Hill is an instant upgrade over, Snell, Ballage, or Samuels. If you remember back to the Etienne pick, I said the Steelers would address their need for a power back later in the draft. This is the guy that addresses that need. The combination of Etienne and Hill would give the Steelers quite the 1-2 punch.

So there you have it. This is one of the many combinations of drafts the Steelers could have had. I am sure this list would look a little different for each of us.

I am not unhappy with the Steelers draft in anyway. This was more for fun, than it was about poking holes in the Steelers draft. Stayed tuned to Redraft Episode 2 where I examine what the Steelers draft would have looked like, had they passed on a 1st round back.

• Like Like x 2
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I thought about this post the other day. This redraft didn't grab much attention. How did it fare now that some time has passed?

Etienne is looking like the real deal, and Harris is losing time to an UDFA.

Humphrey and Brown would be starters on this O Line.

The rest of these guys have all been contributors with some starts under their belts. Stevens was the only guy in the group that didn't stick. Kylin Hill looked solid initially then tore his ACL.

For comparison the Steelers drafted

1 Najee Harris 24 RB 2 2021 2022 0 1 1 10 25 1 1 4 0 0 415 1561 8 98 579 5 Alabama
    2 Pat Freiermuth 55 TE 2 2021 2022 0 0 0 4 23 92 864 8 Penn St.
    3 Kendrick Green 87 OL 1 2021 2021 0 0 1 5 15 Illinois
    4 Dan Moore 128 OL 2 2021 2022 0 0 1 7 24 Texas A&M
    4 Buddy Johnson 140 LB 1 2021 2021 0 0 0 0 4 Texas A&M
    5 Isaiahh Loudermilk 156 DE 2 2021 2022 0 0 0 2 18 Wisconsin
    6 Quincy Roche 216 DL 2 2021 2022 0 0 0 2 17 Miami (FL)
    7 Tre Norwood 245 DB 2 2021 2022 0 0 0 2 25 Oklahoma
    7 Pressley Harvin I

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Freiermuth is very good, but passing on Humphrey was a mistake. I think most of us knew that at the time.

I agree that Etienne would have been a better choice than Harris, but that is hindsight. I probably should have seen that coming. I had seen him play enough in college. He is faster than Harris. He doesn't have the same power, but he can get the tough yards.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Etienne and Harris are a wash so far. Etienne lost his first season to injury and Harris is dealing with an injury this season.

Muth is a great pick, they haven’t had a TE since Heath, I have no problem with that pick. The reason they didnt take Humphrey was because it was believed he didn’t fit their blocking scheme and went with the more athletic Green. Wrong choice but I understand the thought process. And who’s to say Humphrey would be doing as well here if scheme fit is indeed different from what they are running in KC. They dont have much of a running attack after all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I understand the thinking, too. That is a good point. If they can't make it work with a guy that good, maybe the problem is with the system, but the real problem is that they vastly overrated Green.

That said, I still would have rather seen them take the outstanding, plug-and-play center and make it work. It is weird because Freiermuth is certainly worth the spot where they took him. I just think they could have done better at a position that was a complete disaster in 2021 and still needs a long-term solution.

I wonder how much of the problem with Kansas City's running game is that they have no patience. It has to be tough to stick with the running game with the alternative is putting the ball in the hands of Patrick Mahomes.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    To be fair Etienne lost an entire season to injury. We are not sure how much of Najee's struggles are injury related. I am not denying that Najee's injury is playing a role in his performance. But some of the lack of vision he displays has nothing to do with the injury. Complete ineptitude on offense isn't helping his game out either.

I like Freiermuth, and I understand why they drafted him. But a starting center was a priority. The Green pick was a reach IMO.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No matter how You put it. If You draft Etienne....You must also sit Him for a full Year....because that's what happened.
    Like Qbs, or most players....I don't really judge how good ,or bad they are off of one Year.
    I've seen countless times a player be just awesome for a year, and then become average afterwards.
    I would give examples, but You have watched tons of football.....so I bet you can also ....just by sitting there thinking about it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Etienne's speed is the factor that makes me think he would have been a better option than Harris, even if they had to wait a year for him. The down side to that is they likely miss the playoffs last year without Harris. The team's margin for error to get in was just so slim that losing even one solid player might have been enough to knock them out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I took out my NFL vehicle's rear-view mirror so I will trust in everyone's opinions in this thread. Good effort in the OP's and interesting reading following.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    That is fair. So I guess the thing to do is compare Etienne's numbers this season to Harris' in 2021.

Through the first 8 games of their careers

Najee Harris 554 rushing yards 3 TDs / 30 rec 150 yards 1 TD

Travis Etienne 680 rushing yards 4 TDs / 19 rec 174 yards

It's like you say STD. It is all about what these guys do going forward. 1 season doesn't make a career. Hopefully Najee can turn things around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I always wanted Muth in the 1st Rd ...
    Humphrey definitely should've been the pick in the 2nd...
    3rd Rd, I would've gone with Rhamondre Stevenson.....

• Like Like x 3
  12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Looking back that would have been a great draft.

• Like Like x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Etienne isn't good as Harris when it comes to ball security.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    You have a better track record than Tomlin. GMdot will consider you for an assistant job.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2