1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The good old days

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 22, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Still the best Super Bowl ever IMO

• Like Like x 7
  2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I think you watched the wrong video...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    ha ha, Whoops, I guess I did!

1979, I wasn't around for those SB's...

How good were they? Can't say I ever saw a full game of the 70s teams.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    They weren't good...they were great.;+)

"There are 27 teams in pro football, and then there are the Pittsburgh Steelers."

A lot of the Steelers full games from the 70's are on Youtube, they're always an enjoyable watch.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    My HS Graduation Year, man I won a lot of money betting on The Steelers in the 70's.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I was at that game in the Rose bowl. Bought Tickets for 35.00 / ticket. What a game.
    My once and only time in California, would like to make it back before I croak.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Watched it live at home in Pittsburgh. What an incredible game.

• Like Like x 1
  8. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    How good were they? Dominant. There was a stat I read years ago where in one 6 year period, the Steelers were 52 -1 in games in which they were favored. Let that sink in for a minute. They were so good that often other teams knew what they were going to do on both sides of the ball and could do little about it. The 1976 defense was arguably the greatest defense in NFL history. Jack Lambert is quoted as saying it was the best team he played on. Unfortunately both Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier were hurt and didn't play in the AFC championship game and Pittsburgh lost to the Raiders. In SB IX, Minnesota had 17 yards rushing. 17! They had around 120 total yards. The defense was full to the top with grade A, USDA Choice badasses.

Do yourself a favor and watch the 70's playoff games and SB's. Yeah, kind of rough because the video quality compared to today is awful, but you'll get an idea about how great those teams were.

• Like Like x 1
  9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    It's.......grown a bit since then!

10. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Lol I bet, I am hoping to visit Northern California and drive up the coast to Seattle God willing.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

you old fart. :smiley1: mine was the year before.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Ha, HA, we old folk compared to some of these kids on board. :hehehe:

• Like Like x 2
  13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Make sure to take your time in the redwoods! The Oregon coast is beautiful. Make sure to drive through Portland during the day!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Mine was '75. Now, get off my lawn, ya youngster!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You whippersnappers - I was already driving during the Summer of Love. :guitarplayer::guiness:

• Like Like x 1
  16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    considered one of if not the greatest of all time;however, the game has changed a ton since then

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey Clive From PIT.

I do not think that you and I have ever chatted before. So, "Hello".

I was already am established Steelers' fan at that point in my life. I began my Black & Gold fandom in 1972. Actually, I was Pirates' fan first of all sports. I am not sure of the exact year but I do remember running down the street when they won it all in 1971. So, probably between 1968-1970 is my guess. I was in early Elementary School at that point. Then shortly after I became a Steelers' fan. I grew up in the Southern New England Region and was always "different" when it came to fandom. I have said this before. I have been really fortunate with my lifetime fandom of the Steelers, Pirates and Penguins.

Given that, we are due for another Championship from one of them and like now.

As far as Super Bowl XIII, yes we "Blew it Open" out of nowhere, only to let the cowturds make it interesting. Nonetheless, we brought home the bacon. I still feel that Mr. Chuck Noll and Mr. Terry Bradshaw do not get anywhere near the media darling attention that they deserve. 4-0 on the biggest stage in sports. One word for that...."Money".

I say "Unbelievable but Typical" in these situations. The Steelers long and glorious history and tradition is why there is so much national media disregard for them that some here like to complain about. Our legacy is etched in stone and there isn't anything that they can do about it. Now add in the Ben Era and it only infuriates them more.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are the Gold Standard in the "World of Sports". Think about when we do not win, even in a down season. The other teams are jumping for joy all over the field. And with today's social media it only gets compounded. You do not see this kind of reaction when teams beat other successful franchises like the 49ers, Cowboys and Patriots. It is a form of compliment when these teams celebrate because we are deeply entrenched in their heads.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

18. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Football was so much better back then. This was my second favorite SB. SB XIV was my favorite.

19. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, on a bus!

20. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Another one of us! You from Santee?

21. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Thank you for the info, yes I am anxious to see redwoods and the rest of the beautiful west coast, I am fortunate to have seen quite a bit
    of the US, but i have never been in the Pacific Northwest or the upper plain states. Hope to see them all someday.

22. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You mean this one.............. upload_2021-1-22_11-54-16.jpeg :rawk: Love-ins at Elysian Park. What a time. :cool:

23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't mind the video quality, for the most part. It really takes me back to old style tv with rolling screens and ghosts images. The games they kept some of the old commercials in are neat to watch also.

24. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    In Frankfurt Germany, I think the game started around Midnight there. Our Battalion commander was a huge Steelers fan, out XO was from Texas. He ordered the mess hall to be opened, beer was cheap (most of us were drunk way before the game started), and gave the entire Battalion Monday off as a holiday. Bets were flowing throughout the game, then went Jackie Smith dropped that pass in the end zone there were more F bombs being shouted than German ho's had ever heard....man it was beautiful.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  25. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Greatest rock band ever!
    But, I was referring to the slang term.