1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Good and the Bad for Mike Tomlin this year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jan 9, 2023.

1. A

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  2. B

21 vote(s)
    46.7%
  3. C

15 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. D

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. F

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    is Tissue the new :facepalm:?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I see you no longer b a Brown

Is this some form of New Years resolution :smiley1:

3. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    ‘I think I changed it before the new year when Steelers stopped being the browns, and the browns kept getting brownier- a moving target is hard to hit.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Wilson wasn't a third-string quarterback. He was their starter, and that was before he fell apart. The only third stringer I can remember them facing was the who finished for the Ravens in the first meeting, and mostly just handed the ball off.

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If they played in the NFC, they would likely be playing next week. They are in the stronger of the two conferences.

Overall, the schedule wasn't brutal.

The poll should have asked people entered the season as Tomlin supporters, Tomlin haters, or a very small group that falls in between. Everybody seems to be grading along those lines rather than objectively evaluating this season in context.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yeah, I'm the one who gave your post a hilarious rating, and it's a laughing at you sort of hilarious.

7. Steelers4tim

Steelers4tim Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2022

Great post, and unfortunately correct. They can keep giving Dumblin paychecks until the year 2040, but he will NOT be a better football coach. His thinking ability and his coaching ability has already peaked, and he is an AVERAGE NFL coach, nothing more nothing less. The indictment against Dumblin is based on the job he's done for the Steelers Organization vs. all the paychecks that he's cashed. He's had MORE than a chance to prove himself, and nobody can dispute that. Time for some tough, concrete, & objective views about our HC. Let's do the math:

-NFL record 44 losses to teams .500 or lower.
    -0 Super Bowl wins in 14 years.
    -0 AFC titles in 13 years.
    -0 Playoff Wins in 7 years.
    -3 Playoff wins in 13 years.
    -Missed playoffs 6 out 16 seasons.

Time for some accountability here. Mike Dumblin has single-handedly taken the Pittsburgh Steelers as his HOSTAGE! The Pittsburgh media REFUSES to ask tough questions about his track record, and Artie II just keep pretending everything is OK. The question I have is...WHY?

#firetomlin

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    I think Tomlin is very loyal to his players and coaches and is a good thing but at times I think that blinds him to making changes sooner. Examples IMO. Najee was hurt and was not ready and Warren should have been used more, Mitch you could tell quickly was not it and I thought he should have made the switch before the jets game to give Pickett reps and time to prepare, not stepping in sooner to correct the OC from having KP throwing as much as he was (Cowhers rant of a running game is a rookies QB's best friend seemed to drive the point home.), the lack of targets to Pickens, which seemingly seemed to defer to the supposed #1 WR who still seemingly hasn't been Coached about running backwards. I still get frustrated with the undisciplined play at times that seemingly isn't addressed forcefully enough (I know i'm not in the locker room to know for certain) but when things happen twice or more it tells me it wasn't addressed strongly enough). If he doesn't address our garbage OC and Special Teams coach it will be telling. My concern is we wash rinse repeat and come back with the same coaching staff again.

9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    And coach. This is Vegas oddsmakers after all, not Yinzers gathered at Kelly O's diner on 24th street.

10. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    All great points at some point there has to be accountability for not winning playoff games. This can’t go on another year or two where this team continues to be mediocre and barely get in the playoffs with a 9-8 record and then they don’t win any playoff games. It’s not good enough period and until Art Rooney as you mentioned starts feeling the same way the same old bull**** with Tomlin will continue the next few seasons. I’m tired of hearing people saying Steelers fans are spoiled. This team hasn’t won a Super Bowl going on 15 years, hasn’t been to one in 13 years, and has won hardly any playoff games in 13 years. What is there to be spoiled about there?? It just isn’t good enough and until things change nothing will change under Tomlin.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I find it impossible to take a post that refers to the guy as Dubmlin seriously.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Why not?

13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Solid B. He did a good job and will continue to do so. We aren’t true contenders but I have accepted that. I have lowered my standards for winning seasons and no playoff success. I’m suffering greatly as a person, so even just maintaining a winning season brings me joy that I may no longer experience eventually. As with the Steelers and with life we move forward.

• Like Like x 1
  14. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

i believe the Ravens had their 3 string QB, the Browns their 2 nd string, the Jets Wilson was 1st string then demoted to second string, seems to me you are nick picking and not getting the point that we lost most of those games and had no blitz packages when Watt was gone for so long. You look up their passing statistics if you want to but the point is this QB we lost to were not Mahomes, Josh Allen, or even Justin Herbert types.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm with You on the Heyward part

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It had Me winning money. Thank You Vegas.

17. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Although Ravens did play their 3rd string....it was only part of a game. Wilson was the starter.
    Just like Trubisky was the starter here.
    Also I would say that the Browns starter was actually who they started with...since Watson never played with them before. JMO :shrug:

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I give Him a B.
    Simply because of what happened through the year. Hell I would have maybe went higher, but because of the whole Trubisky thing.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Is for people who seem to be overly negative and have a problem with every friggin thing. You know for people that nothings ever good enough for them.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not missing the point. The lack of a pass rush was frustrating, but they also had a secondary that struggled when they got too aggressive.

It is important to portray things accurately. The only third-string quarterback they face this season was Anthony Brown of the Ravens, who came on late in that game. That was also a game in which Watt played. Brown completed three of five passes for only 16 yards and was sacked once. The issue with him in the game wasn't the pass rush. It was the inability to stop the run.

Brissett is a veteran who started the majority of the games for the Browns this season, not a third-stringer.

Wilson was the starter for the Jets. That he later lost that job doesn't retroactively make him a third-stringer at the time. Yes, they should have gone after him more aggressively, but they were having trouble containing him. They got pressure but didn't contain him well enough.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Makes you look dumber and dumber every time you post it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m always riding high!

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    13 years would include the 2010 season. We went to the Super Bowl that year

The last seven years would include 2016. We went to the AFC championship game that year.

13 years would include 2010. The year we went to the Super Bowl. We have 5 wins over that span.

You just sound childish every time you say this.
    Before you start calling me a Tomlin Lover you need to know that I want to move on from Tomlin, but if you’re going to make an argument to get rid of Tomlin then at least get the facts correct.
    I think DumbTim is more fitting than Dumblin.

• Like Like x 1
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m thinking he must be one of the kiddies