1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The future for Mason Rudolph?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Nov 17, 2019.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We are doomed.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015

Right....how the hell can we expect to build an offense and play playoff caliber football with a QB making $26m / year?

sincerely,

Tom Brady
    Russel Wilson
    Aaron Rodgers
    Kirk Cousins
    Jimmy Garoppolo
    Drew Breese
    David Carr

Amazing how the best teams in the NFL have QBs making about what Ben makes. Of the top 10 SB contenders - 2 have cheap QB's.

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The article was from the off-season.:shrug:

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I knew Mason didn't have it when the 49ers gave up 5 turnovers, and the offense still couldn't score enough points to put the game away :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    That game still haunts me. 5 frigging TO's and you lose. Kind of unheard of. I remember years ago the NFL stat nuts showed how your chance of winning a game goes up with each turnover. It was something like if your team gets 3 TO's your chance of winning was 70%, get 4 and it's 85%, get 5 and you pretty much win the game.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    So that coach is no longer helping Mason? idk

7. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    That's the point, he never shows up.

Defenders love to compare his numbers to Bens rookie numbers. Thing is, even in Ben's rookie season, at least 2 or 3 times a game, he would make a play that made you smile and say, "This kid's gonna be good."

I can't remember one such moment from Rudolf in how many games now? There may have been a couple plays possibly, but none of them have stuck with me. I was watching Detroit's 3rd string guy the other day and saw a few plays that I haven't seen MR make.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am not sticking up for MR, I in no way think his future is settled. But he needs to make major
    improvements in some areas or he will be out of football.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Iirc his cap number for the next two years is 33.5m. If he retires before June 1st 2020 the dead cap hit in 2020 is $25m so it frees up 8.5m in 2020 and 33.5m in 2021. If he retires after June 1st the hit is spread over two years 12.5m in 2020 and 12.5m in 2021, freeing up 21m in each year.

Im sure he will come back unless he suffers some sort of setback with the injury. Anybody’s guess whether he is 100%, 80% or whatever. The hope is that he is as good as he was but given his age I don’t know if it’s likely.

10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Mason is terrible lol

He was statistically the worst qb in football and regressing. Hope he has a backup plan

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Rudolph has horrible mechanics. He has zero foot work in the pocket. He is completely without an imagination back there and is simply a statue. I like the kid but he's done. There should have been some improvement from game to game and instead he got worse. It appears he's trained himself to throw off his back foot so no one really has an idea if he has any arm strength or not. He consistently underthrows receivers or throws behind them. There's just no that much there to work with. He will be out of football in a couple years. The front office has not addressed the back up QB situation at this point and simply drafts for a body and hopes. We see the results of that. They traded up for Rudolph and it looks like a bust at this point. The guy has had 8 weeks of starter reps at practice and has regressed each week. Duck is a fill in and will never be a starter in this league. So nothing out there to look forward to at this point. Just more of the same. I've stated before I don't think Ben is coming back. I think he retires and moves on. Hope I'm wrong. If we don't make some improvements to our coaching staff this year then we're marooned at this point. We're not as good as New England or the Ravens or the Browns at this point,. Sad but I don't see any other way to look at it. I'm going to hang with the team no matter what but my expectations for this team have never been lower. I won't be able to watch the game as in Harrisburg we get the Ravens when they play the same time as the steelers. So there's mercy in that. It's easier to listen to the radio. Less stress :)

12. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    The sad thing is that he's had even more than 8 games worth of first team reps considering that Ben always gets Wednesdays off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Also in consecutive games Mason took a safety, just standing there holding the ball too long, no pocket awareness at all.

14. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    No more time. We’ve seen enough. Mason needs to never start a game in his life. I’ve seen zero upside to him.

15. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    LOL i just noticed your Avatar :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Not really sure where to put this, maybe it deserves its own post:

We didn't need to draft Mason or Dobbs, we could have definitely rolled with Landry as a back up. Landry was no worse than Mason or Duck.

Just think of what those draft picks could have been and how they could have helped out this team.

Why did we run Landry out of town, was it just that they didn't want to pay him a non-rookie contract?

17. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    More like they were looking for Ben’s replacement. He’s pushing 40.

Like it or not, QBs are a crapshoot. They have to keep trying until they find the next franchise-level QB. So far they haven’t.

• Agree Agree x 1