1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The elephant on the sidelines

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jul 27, 2018.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    You can tell he was so out of shape for that game. I've tried grabbing gifs but NFL blocks it. I'd have to download the video and all this other nonsense so I'm not wasting my time. Just watch the long highlight video of the game and watch him the whole time. He was getting run over the first drive. Pretty sure they ran right at him on 4th and 1. Few times just falls to his feet. I remember him tripping and falling over people at least two times. I have to rewatch it myself but when you watch it you can really see him and Tuitt cost us that game.

2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016

• Like Like x 2
  3. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016

1:00 - 4th and 1 they run right at him and he gets no push and falls forward.

3:34 - They run at his side for a big gain but he's not in there because he's already gassed at the start of the 2nd.

3:48 - Run at him for a touchdown.

5:14 - Falls on his face again.

11:00 - Gassed and not even in for two crucial plays in the 4th. How much money is he making again?

12:42 - Huge 3rd down, he's not doubled and gets no pressure whatsoever. Gets pushed back 2 yards.

4. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe if they all agreed to not run...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Do you need help there?

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The squeaky box of rocks has posted again and again totally wasting useful bandwidth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    First of all, I said "Elephant on the sidelines." Secondly, yes, this qualifies.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    He may be asking you what it means. He wasn't specific though.

9. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Coaches was even showing up late:

Before that game, Bell showed his commitment to the team by ... showing up super late to both the pregame walkthrough and the game itself. According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

Tomlin wants players and coaches to report to the locker room two hours before kickoff for games. That was continually ignored by both players and a coach or two.

Not only did Bell arrive much later than that for the playoff game against Jacksonville (as well as one coach), he missed practically the entire Saturday walk-through the day before, showing up about five minutes before practice ended.

So, that's not great.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

Pacific? Isn't that the ocean on the west coast? Be more Pacific.:smiley1::cool:

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Pacifist?

I don’t see that happening.

12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 3
  14. Cobalt7

Cobalt7 Active Member

Jul 27, 2018

15. Cobalt7

Cobalt7 Active Member

Jul 27, 2018

16. Cobalt7

Cobalt7 Active Member

Jul 27, 2018
    Look, Steeler fans understand Mike Tomlin will not be a disciplinarian or 'call-out' his many 'player' pals on the team. That stated, he clearly will also protect his assistant Coaches, because Keith Butler is returning for another season -after The Jags Leonard Fournette smashed through his defense like butter. The Rooney's extended Mike's contract and that speaks volumes about what millionaires believe is leadership. I happen to believe our 7th Lombardi will be a longer journey than fans want because of discipline breaches. Just the truth.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I've believed for many years that Tomlin is the problem with this team. I've been quite outspoken about it too, but for the most part I lay off because it's pointless repeating the same things. We're super talented on paper, but we always struggle in the exact same areas every single year. We have zero discipline, both on and off the field apparently. I believe many other coaches would have won SB's with the talent we have, but we can't even get there. NE isn't the reason for that either, we're simply our own worst enemy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    I'm a little tired of hearing how much "talent" we have. We have some, for sure, but how much talent have we had on D the last several years? How many of our starters would start on other teams?

Jarvis Jones - no one. Bounced out of the league as soon as Pgh let him walk.
    Mitchell - the same.
    Davis - might start for half the teams, maybe.
    Dupree - same.
    Hargrave - not sure.
    Williams - I think he's underrated but a lot in here think he's below par.
    Cam and Tuitt - would start for any 3-4 team I believe.
    Williams - meh

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    So is Williams underrated or Meh?

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Not really. This stuff has been discussed and talked about to death. Quite the opposite of an Elephant in the room ( sidelines)

21. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    The two are not mutually exclusive. "Meh" meaning he is not an iron clad starter on other teams, while STILL being underrated by a lot of Steeler fans. Are you capable of grasping that the two are not mutually exclusive? 88 tackles and 8 sacks is not dog crap, but he isn't pro bowl level either.

22. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017

Oh really? So, show me all the articles from local Pgh press that covers the following. Yes, USA Today ran this, but the local Pgh media hasn't covered the topic much, hence elephant on the sidelines. I'll tell you what: you show me 3 dozen articles that addressed this subject in the local media and I will concede the point.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2...camp-2018-all-is-not-bliss-in-steeler-nation/

Tomlin’s habitual and longstanding practice of making allowances and exceptions for his star players and core veterans has allowed them to expect being granted futureallowances and to expect Mike’s continued indulgences with their missed practices, late arrivals to practice or games, disruptive or negative behaviors, social media stupidity, and seemingly weekly dramas that bleed the team’s focus away from upcoming games.

It’s gotten to the point that Tomlin’s favorites seem to assume that such behaviors are their right rather than evidence of their immaturity and selfishness. Mike’s excusing of multiple starters from running in this year’s training camp conditioning test was a perfect example. If the coach thinks the only point of a conditioning test is to test conditioning, he’s mistaken.

The worst part about this situation is Mike seems oblivious to the problem; he doesn't think/know there is something inherently wrong with being so lax with certain players. It IS a problem, and it leads to things like losing to J-ville twice at home last year, one in the playoffs.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  23. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I guess the Steelers as an organization failed to address the issues, maybe the people in the organization knew, maybe the individuals had good reasons, or something else? I can see the same people getting all worked up if Bell was benched for being late. I guess the issues were not that bad. After all the Steelers decided to bring Bell back. People love to make mountains out of mole hills.

Another thing if 98% of the players show up on time then that doesn't equate to a serious problem to me.

At the end of the day people need to understand that athletes that make millions of dollars are going to get some leeway. Teams invest a lot of time and money in players. Very few coaches if any have the kind of control that people believe. I doubt coaches can just cut or trade star players without going through an organizational process. There's just to much money involved. Teams deal with problematic players in their own ways and time.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Do you have proof coaches were showing up late?

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    3 dozen articles?
    Lol.
    ****s been discussed to death around here. No elephant here.