1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The elephant on the sidelines

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2...camp-2018-all-is-not-bliss-in-steeler-nation/

Tomlin’s habitual and longstanding practice of making allowances and exceptions for his star players and core veterans has allowed them to expect being granted future allowances and to expect Mike’s continued indulgences with their missed practices, late arrivals to practice or games, disruptive or negative behaviors, social media stupidity, and seemingly weekly dramas that bleed the team’s focus away from upcoming games.

It’s gotten to the point that Tomlin’s favorites seem to assume that such behaviors are their right rather than evidence of their immaturity and selfishness. Mike’s excusing of multiple starters from running in this year’s training camp conditioning test was a perfect example. If the coach thinks the only point of a conditioning test is to test conditioning, he’s mistaken.

The worst part about this situation is Mike seems oblivious to the problem; he doesn't think/know there is something inherently wrong with being so lax with certain players. It IS a problem, and it leads to things like losing to J-ville twice at home last year, one in the playoffs.

Inexcusable.

And there are no signs he is going to correct the issue.

And before you claim the source is just sour grapes, no, no. Others have stated the lack of discipline problem including Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    He sure is not a Tom Coughlin, or Belichet or Parcell type of coach. Agree he dosen't see the lack of discipline as a problem.

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This is one of those things for me that should be impossible to mess up. If it is important everyone should run. If not then don't do it. If the results matter than stress thathat if not then you say guys can walk but just need to do the test. If it truly is a blank slate and everyone starts in the same place then there can't be favorites. I mean do like Ward did, every year you have to earn your name and number.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    I mean this team is the Circus..why not try the elephant? Custom size head set and he's good to go.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I was kind of puzzled when I read that about the conditioning test too. It's obviously important because they waived a guy who failed it in Bryce Harris. I remember Casey Hampton getting flak for not making it some years too. He had to run it until he passed (or got close lol) IIRC.
    All you hear Tomlin preach during the offseason is to come into camp in shape ready to go. Definitely some favoritism, if I was a lineman I'd be kinda irked. AV has to run for example, but Foster and Pouncey don't? Who draws the line? MT or Munch?
    At least I heard Pouncey stayed after practice to run sprints or something so that was good to see.
    IMO, everyone should have come into camp on an even surface. Vet, all pro or UDFA.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Was Heyward one of the players who didn't have to run?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    That one article made the point that when everyone has to do it, like the Marines, it builds comradery and chemistry since they experience the grind with each other. In Tomlin's world, only some experience the grind, so there is no comradery on this front. Good point.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    yes from what I read Heyward, Pouncey and Foster didn't have to run. There may have been others.

9. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    MT has some serious lack of fundamentals deficiency. THAT is a major handicap for the Steelers with Super Bowl winning aspirations.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Spock!! Are you saying Tomlin is out of his Vulcan mind...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. SteelHaven

Sep 24, 2012
    [​IMG]

12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    This is a debacle. I coached team sports for nearly 20 years. There is a lot more to a run test, than just a run test. Its about setting a mindset that its time to get back to work. Its like Watt Wack said. Its about building comradery. As a coach, one of the best things about running your team, is seeing your most fit players help out their teammates who are struggling to finish. Its team building, and it sets a tone. Disappointment in Tomlin here. Its not the first time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    not so big Benjamin as well

14. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Wow star players get different treatment? As if none of that stuff happened with other teams. This stuff been going on for years and all of a sudden people want to make a big deal. When the Steelers can no longer win games because of that stuff then that's when it's a real issue.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

You mean like when Bell skipped the walk thru in the playoffs?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelHaven

Sep 24, 2012
    Love it when the Tomlin supporters get put in their place :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I wasn't there and neither was anyone else. Maybe Bell had a reason? Whatever the case I don't know and neither does anyone else. We've seen throughout the history of sports that certain players get more leeway. IMO a handful of incidents doesn't mean there is a major problem. Stuff happens. The Steelers will deal with Bell when they feel it's necessary. The wanted him back and signed to a longer term deal so you be the judge how they felt about Bell.

Supporters like Colbert?

Mike Tomlin has full control of locker room and the organization is going strong, Colbert told reporters at Saint Vincent College, home of the team's training camp.

"I had no question about our mental preparation, our internal organization and how our team is run," Colbert said on Friday. "No concern whatsoever about our team's attitude, discipline and all that other stuff that's talked about. Absolutely no concern."

Colbert, however, said Tomlin has a unique ability to command a roster and relate to the "generational" player in the social media era, caring about individuals as people as well as players.

"[People] don't see the coach Tomlin in a meeting room; they don't hear a coach Tomlin talk to his team and watch them pay attention," Colbert said. "They don't see him in a one-on-one meeting with a player whether a player is doing something good or bad."

• Like Like x 1
  18. SteelHaven

Sep 24, 2012
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I love it when nay sayers are proven wrong

20. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The elephant on the field was the awful secondary and LB talent. I am not sure that the combination of Bud Carson and Buddy Ryan could have stopped the bleeding against JAX.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteelHaven

Sep 24, 2012
    You'll be waiting for a very long time.

[​IMG]

22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Then you wonder why he was out of shape against Jax in the playoffs.. I swear he did nothing not even bike or treadmill to prepare for that game for 2-3 weeks.

23. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    In reading all of the article I'm going to have to call B.S. I respect his opinion and defer to it when he has more info about what goes on behind closed doors that we don't see but in regards to the playoff game his explanation was completely confusing and sheer excrement. Yes hats off to the Jags but they were sloppy and unprepared. I don't know how he can admit that they didn't have the right personal in, the right game plan or played a good game and still insist they were prepared.

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Do you know the definition of Elephant in the room?

25. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017

You know this how? (not trying to be contrary, just a genuine question.)