1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Dupree Decision....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thesteeldeal, Jan 16, 2019.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

kendricks has good speed and burst for that ILB spot that vince just doesn't. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    It's Jehovah Witness theology and interpretation of the 144,000 in the book of Revelation. But yeah a good cryptic name for an elite group in WWI also.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I know believe me I know.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Sure, Ola has potential. However, he didn’t exactly dominate in college, and played against mid-major competition. Also, did you watch him drop into coverage during his preseason work? Not pretty. He has potential, but the likelihood of him being able to step in during 2019 and be a quality starting OLB is remote. His long-term potential is part of the reason I’d go with a guy like Barrett or Smith, and not feel the need to jump up in the 1st round for a top OLB prospect. But expecting him to be a stud in 2019 is very unrealistic, especially after the injury set back his development in 2018. Any comparison of him to Watt coming out of school is utterly silly, and you know it. I won’t even say another word on that one.

On Chick - he’s a solid backup. Nothing more, but nothing less either. I’d resign him in a minute for the right $. PFF graded him as their #43 edge defender in the league in 2018. That fits what I see on tape.

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree on Chick I see him as a nice backup and don't forget he is a big part of STs as well.
    As far as Ola and his ability to drop ,I have a question. I don't watch enough of the two guys you mentioned to know how they're coverage skills are. Are they even asked to drop in their schemes as much as ours. If not that would be a concern for them as well. I like the prospect of adding Smith because not only do we pick up a experienced player. We also take a part from the Ravens D.

Does Ola have to be a stud right away? Dupree never was. I already see a better pass rush ability and technique from Ola and there are a few nice highlights of him setting the edge as well. A entire offseason in the gym could be a huge plus as well....

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    No use bringing up the sub par competition of the MAC either. Come on elvis. Ben, AB, harrison, nix, fort, hargraves, feiler and many other players in the NFL now and then. That point doesn't hold water. Chickillo ranked at 43 as an edge player is not that high considering the limited amount of edge players in the league. Also I never said he would be a stud. Now as far as watt, there were many that questioned if he could play the position in the pros. He was not a sure thing coming out with his limited play at the position in college. We have had many outside linebackers that became starters after sitting behind starters for years. We need solid players and ola shows that. :cool:

7. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    There are 64 starting edge players in the league, so being ranked by PFF as #43 implies that they see him as a lower tier starter. That’s not shabby for a backup.

I’m not going further into your silly argument that planning for Ola to be a starter in 2019 is the same as the “gamble” (really???) that we took on Watt. Silly.

8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    If not I can come over to visit and we can talk about it ;)

Playin

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Not all edge players are created equal as you know. They lump 4-3 and 3-4 " edge players " together. That's how you get 64. Quit acting so high and mighty elvis. They kept ola for a reason on the return list. Whether you like it or not watt was a gamble. Of course ola is not the same type of gamble because he wasn't a first rounder but watt was a gamble. Just as dupree and every other draft pick is. The kid can get to the passer. He does well against the run and he has done what has been asked of him in the coverage game. He can only play against the players they put him against so down playing that makes you look so petty. Just stop trying to twist meanings to make yourself look brilliant. It's sad. You are better than that.:cool:

10. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    In post #71 of this thread you said Ola starting, Adams as backup and a rookie as the 4th OLB (3 guys with a total of 9 career regular season snaps). You equated that to being the same gamble as we took on Watt in 2017. However, in 2017 we had veterans with NFL regular season experience in both Moats and Chickillo in case Watt wasn’t ready (extensive experience in the case of Moats). There’s no comparing the relative risk of the scenario you’ve suggested vs. what the team did with Watt. I’m not being Petty, I’m debating you and winning handily. Good evening to you sir :hi:

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Yes, you are a legend in your own mind. Next season Adams will be in his 3rd season with the team. Ola his second. Watt his 3rd. Similar to Harrison's situation. He had very little field time and became the DPOY. People were leary of him starting too. Watt was a part time started in college and had two years at the position ever when he was made the started here. It's not like Adams and ola are rookies. :cool:

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    What.png