1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Dupree Decision....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thesteeldeal, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not at 9.5 million he won't be. I'm 100% confident that won't happen.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Stranger things have happened. But who knows maybe they have him pack on some pounds and muscle and let him play DE.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Enough already with this Clay Matthews talk, he has to be 33 or older not interested. Re-sign Dupree to a lower amount is their most likely option, let Chickillio go they need a better player at OLB #3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Here is what OTC has to say:

The Steelers picked up Bud Dupree's fifth year option for 2019. The option is worth $9.232 million and is guaranteed for injury. If he is on the roster on the first day of the 2019 league year his salary will become fully guaranteed.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree he should be in the mix this year but I feel we need a veteran as a starter. Especially if we are drafting a guy here we need experience imo. If we let Bud go and Chick is a FA we have 2 spots open, I feel Ola will spell the end to Chick. jmo

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    @thesteeldeal I guess you are the only one that gets called out on this......Guess some people pick and choose.......:shrug:

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Chick doesn't bring much as a pass rusher eitber, much like dupree. Ola showed some flashes, Adams was paid extra to keep around. I don't think dupree is going anywhere.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Dupree is a serviceable starter in this league. I get a kick out of the fire and pitchforks flying his way. As Rooney stated, he has improved.

Kind of a late bloomer, and his pass rush is not up to hopes/expectations coming out of the draft, but it's not like he'd be on the free agent waiver for long with the Steelers able to re-sign him to the league minimum. << guaranteed.

He's due 9 mil + next year. So it'll be interesting to see how they go forward as most including myself don't believe he justifies that salary.

With that said, I have not seem much of anything from Chickillo to justify an extension either. He's been a very subpar player, and I think it's a joke that people think he'd be an upgrade over Dupree. He's less effective even as an edge rusher ( his only sack was going up the middle)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Also if people go back and review the draft Dupree was selected out of, they'd see he was a consensus 1st round projection by many scouts and teams. You can also look to see who else came out of that draft that had more of an impact that Bud has had.

Bud was a need pick when Worlids decided to retire to become one of the 144000. Or something like that. No one was criticizing the pick at the time. Now with hindsight everyone becomes an expert.

I expect the Steelers to target an edge-rusher/OLB with the 3-4th round pick this year. They may or may not exercise Bud's option based upon need only.

Then cut ties in the following year most likely. We'll see.

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That's ok I've never been Moms favorite either;)

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Dupree deserves back up money because we've been getting back up production. Someone said we need a better number 3. We need a better number 2 first. We did everything we could to accommodate Dupree. Switched sides and allowed him to freelance more. The results we got were only marginally better than the past with the deck stacked in his favor. He had everything on his plate and only needed to eat. Factor all that in plus he knew he would basically be playing for a contract and that's still the results we got.
    This was the season we should of finally got a bang for our buck .....instead we got another DUD.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree he is serviceable however that don't mean we can't improve. My problem with Bud is he is a one trick pony, he is fast and tries to go around the out side......around the outside, like two trailer parks girls.........oppps sorry that was a song, lol! No but seriously the issue is the deep rush, go back and look at the long runs on his side. They are caused because he always does outside and deep, if he fixes that which he hasn't show I feel he would live up to a #1 pick.

With that said do we stay with him and offer a bigger contract because you know what he isn't just gonna take a team friendly deal. The Steelers have 3 options imo. #1 pay him the 9 mil...#2 cut him and move on sign a fa or draft and #3 offer him a contract for multi years. The last option will be costly cause Bud can test the FA market and probably get a lot more then the Steelers will offer. This is business and you bet Bud's agent will be in his ear for him to get more money. Again I will point out this is JMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Oh now you didn't just go there......oh snap the message board police will be coming for you. :roflmao:

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh no I didn't?........oh yes I did :hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  15. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Worilds would be a member of the Great Crowd. The 144000 are typically those that saw the start of World War 1 or who are exceptionally zealous.

16. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I think even after 4 years he is exceptionally raw. The one trick pony is part of that. He can't meld thought and instinct into the whole package and ends up fallin back into the bullrush. Last season Tunch and Wolfe talked about him developing a rip move but when it was game time he went back to the bull. Same with his taking boxing to work on hand fighting and working with Von Miller on spin moves and stunts. Right back to bull rush. I think to maximum his use they need to line him up at end in a wide 9 type scheme, have him put his hand in the dirt and explode towards the QB and that's it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Package deal trade? Anyway we could do a lot with 9 mil. and the 1 mil. from brown. In total between the two it's about 11 mil. Then buy one draft one. With ola and Adams here, it may not have to be a high priced guy or first rounder. :cool:

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with a vet and a draft, the more I look at it the more I want Anthony Barr but the Steeler fan in me knows we don't go after these kind of players. So I look and say who else would bee good if we have young guys. My answer is pretty simple...Clay Matthews and here is why. He is an older players who is on the wrong side of 30 but IMO still has enough left for 1-2 years. Speaking of 1-2 years we would want a guy here who could teach these young guys while also letting them get reps. One other note about Clay is he is a guy perfect for Tomlin's scheme where we switch to and from 3-4 4-3 as he can play both inside and out.

Dupree isn't gonna sign for cheap he is looking for a payday just like every other player so the thought of just offering him something like 3 years 20 mil is not gonna happen. So we cut ties with Dupree and Chick, sign a vet and drafting a guy is perfect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    So some want to keep Alvin because he is a serviceable starter? Serviceable. :lolol: He has reached his ceiling. He is NOT good. He has had 4 years to get it right. He is Jarvis Jones part two. So they will sign him for less? 9.5 guaranteed. So they release him and sign him to a smaller deal? :lolol: I'm sure his agent will have something to say about that. If they sign him to ANY contract we will see much of the same. Rooney needs to get some glasses if he thinks Alvin has improved. If he stays he starts. And that folks is a part of why this defense is below average. And those who feel that Chickillo should be gone and keep Dupree makes me laugh. At least in a part time role Chick has more of a motor and more then one pass rush move. Yea, lets keep Dupree, and watch as the Dud does what he does :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am glad someone feels the same way nice post. :thumbs_up:

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm not on the clay matthews train but the mychal kendricks and deone bucannon train. fort as a backup and bostic and vince to the bench keeping only one of them. tegray scales as the 5th. bud gone, chick gone, ola starting and adams the backup with a rookie filling in as the 4th. sign frostee rucker for a year, draft ryan bee and move hooks up. thats the plan roll with it MT. :stogie::cool:

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe Dupree could be more productive with a new OLB coach, I doubt it though. Butler is a lot better at coaching LBs than Porter, that's for sure.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Ola starting in 2019? Based on what? Success at times vs 3rd stringers, practice squad guys and preseason roster cuts? I like what I’ve seen too, but let’s maybe pump the brakes a bit on expecting him to be an improvement at ROLB, especially in 2019.

I want Chick back. He’s a very capable backup OLB with no glaring weaknesses. Underrated as a backup, and also effective on special teams. Whether he’s the 3rd or 4th OLB depends on how well he competes with the other backup players. As a starter, I’m leaning toward a moderately priced guy like Shaq Barrett or Z’Darius Smith. Someone who is a good, proven football player. We’ve had 4 years with a superior athlete who has never quite figured out how to get the most out of his athletic talent. Meanwhile guys like Barrett and Smith have played very well in their opportunities despite showing lesser athletic pedigree during their pre draft processes. We need football players. I would of course look to the draft as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I can understand that you are not alone and I am not sold 100% on Clay but imo is a very nice option for us. I am not on the Kendricks train but love the idea of Bucannon as he is a fit for Tomlins scheme.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

based on college play and play against 3rd stringers, just like the gamble we took on watt. then let's visit chickillo based on what, his 12 tackles and 1.5 sacks? ola was on the field for nine plays and had one tackle. the potential is there elvis. i'm one of chickillos biggest fans but he is what he is, a backup that could be upgraded. :cool: