1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Dupree Decision....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thesteeldeal, Jan 16, 2019.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

A bust is someone like Senquez Golson. Dupree does not classify as a bust. Not even close.

Now, a disappointment? Without a doubt he is. He is more athlete than he is a player. That being said, Joey Porter could not do anything with him in the end.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

? Do it? They likely will have to. Brown is not coming back as it stands to begin with. Burnett has not beem shown to stay healthy throughout his career; Gilbert doubly so. Dupree remains the biggest question though as he affects Pittsburgh's draft plans greatly.

Releasing him means another pass rusher in Round One. Keeping him means either an Inside Linebacker or Cornerback in Round One. If either scenario does not pan out, BPA will kick in.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    FIFY

4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Dupree will go the way of Jarvis Jones. Can't get rid of him soon enough. Resign Chickillo, lets see what Ola can bring and draft an OLB. No Clowney or Ford. I want a top tier free agent corner opposite Haden. Alvin has reached his ceiling. Watt is light years better then him.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    While I did think he had a better year, 9 mil. is too much but the league dictates this cost. We may resign him after next year but it will be for much less.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    This is typically a situation we’ve historically missed on that has a domino effect on our roster/performance.

We should not pay Dupree $9mil next year, but we will because we haven’t been able to make those tough decisions. We’ve all seen what Dupree is capable of and he’s very unlikely to improve. But nevertheless we’ll pay him, tying up money that could be spent on a FA cornerback and tying up a roster spot (and playing time) that could be used on a cheaper player without a drop in performance.

We need our FO to make this move but we all know they won’t.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    If we pay Dupree 9 mil next year, that would be just stupid with all the deficiencies and needs this team will have next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    We have the money to spend so with that not being an issue some names I like are:

Top Targets: Clay Matthews ,Anthony Barr, Dee Ford and Jadeveon Clowney

Next level: Shaquil Barrett, Shane Ray, Stephone Anthony, Deone Bucannon and Preston Smith

9. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Fifth-year option salaries are non-negotiable. It seems dodgy, but I *think* we’d be ok releasing him (before 3/13/19), then re-signing him to a new, lower-cost contract.

10. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I’ve heard some good things about Preston Smith. I’d be open to giving him a shake.

Personally I want to “unleash” Ola, as I think he’s a natural hunter/killer, and live with any deficiencies he may have in the rest of his game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I consider him a bust because he was drafted of being a combine warrior and potential. Not an actual football skillset. He is a great athlete but a horrible football player. His technique is terrible. Porter didnt di enough but Dupree was a complete project. Idk if he had the time to actual teach him how to play the game. Also his instincts were terrible.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I think Smith could be a dark horse as for Ola I am not against him but I am a little worried about him being a starter when he could sniff the field this year. I know many here are high on him and I am not gonna say I don't want him or he won't work out I just am not ready to give him a starter job just yet.:smiley1:

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Better chance of him getting “released “ than “unleashed “

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't know, I just know that Ed B and Ray F have said they could sign him to a longer term deal at a lower $.

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I think the way it would work is the Steelers would void the 5th year option since it don't become guaranteed until the first day of the new year and then Bud can sign the new contract.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
  17. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well he wasn't activated until late in the season because of his injury but they did think enough of him to stick with him and activate him to the 53. I also don't think you have to consider him a starter but he could be part of a rotation that includes Chick and KA and or a FA or draft pick. My concern with either a FA or draft pick is that they have to be adept at playing the right side which Chick and Ola currently are. There is no way we move Watt now.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, they obviously feel Ola has a lot of upside to protect him like that. Didn't want him getting poached.

They will definitely be drafting someone though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017

^^^^^This...I'm torn, Dud sucks but...With Chickillo a FA " and he sucks "...If we don't resign Dud we have Watt and 2 unknowns in Ola and Adams...NOW, We go into the draft needing an ILB, OLB, and CB...

We will have to get 1 or 2 in FA...Or hope we get a 1st for Brown...Even in that case...We would then need a no.2 or no.3 WR, either in the draft or FA...:facepalm:

20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Washington not ready to step up in your opinion? Rogers can function as #3 not sure I want him at #2. We have much bigger needs on the defense, we should draft all defensive players this year.

21. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I really like him but...We need him to be a legitimate no.2...If we roll the dice and DON'T beef up the WR's ( if AB leaves ) He has to step up big time!

JuJu will now be getting the double teams AB once commanded...And if we don't have a complimentary sidekick ( which we have always had ) That could spell a real problem.with the offense

22. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I like Washington, but I didn't see enough good from him to be a #2 receiver. I think we will need another receiver either thru the draft or free agency assuming AB is gone.

23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Washington may have been staying out of AB's way. Imagine the meltdown if he & JuJu were both putting up catches & yards. Come to think of it, was JuJu in the area when AB was flinging stuff off his balcony?

24. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    In fairness to Washington, Ben many times didn't even look his way, 1st look at AB then JuJu then if both covered a dump off.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You guys should brace yourselves for him being on the team. Art said he made progress this year and looks for more progress out of him in 2019.