1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Dupree Decision....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thesteeldeal, Jan 16, 2019.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I figured we've beaten the current topics to death enough and figured I'd introduce some new discussion material. I included a link (sorry Blast;)) to the 19' FA OLBs. There are a lot of names I'm unfamiliar with and some that are well known. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on how to handle Dupree and some guys that might intrigue you from the list. Including any information you might have on some of the lesser known players...
    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/outside-linebacker/

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    But wheres the link! I may be overlooking it :lolol:

Can't pay Dupree 9 million or whatever it is. Renegotiate for a lesser amount. If he doesn't go for it, let him go. Theres really no other choice.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree. Any names you like. Would you feel comfortable with holding on to Chickillo and seeing what we have from the young guys as a worse case scenario? I think we can address it in FA sufficiently enough to replace Duprees production and a possible draft pick . I even think we can replace Duprees production with what we currently have in house. IMO

4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I thought you were kidding I did forget it...doh. Editing it now

5. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    He could play for free...doesn't matter.

The Steelers love the 3-4. They absolutely need a good edge rusher opposite Watt. It's paramount.

Dupree is not it.

Let him walk. Please and thank you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Better production with our current players over Dupree...they just need the reps .

I'd love to see Chickillo coming off the edge all game long for one year before you can make a judgment on him.

The Steelers were never going to sit a first round pick like that. They always sink or swim with their first rounders until their contract is up. Then it's walkaway or resign.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I like Dupree as experience depth. His athleticism wins out over Chickillo for me.

On the fat chance list, I would go hard after Dee Ford or Clowney but both will probably be franchised if they can't work a deal out with their current team. Plus teams with more cap space than us will be interested.

After them and on the more realistic list, Za'Darius Smith. Had a nice year for the Ravens and would be more in line with the Steelers price range. PFF has him as the most underrated FA. He's weak in run defense though, not crazy about that and not much confidence in our coaches to coach him up.

8. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah I'm not sure how cheap Dupree will be and personally I don't know if I even would want him as a backup.i don't think he signs for back up money. Chickillo would be much cheaper and is a real good STs player. I'm not sure how much STs he would play being thrust into a more prominent role but at least he has that as a fallback if we hit in the draft or FA. Chickillo and Olas money probably still comes out cheaper than Dupree with not too much loss in production,if any. Personally I think Ola is ahead of Dupree already skill wise.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Dupree's decision is immense for certain. Whether he stays or goes is going to influence Pittsburgh's draft plans greatly. There is no understating that.

Moreover to the point though, whether or not Dupree is around does not assist us in the end. Good coaching will. For that matter, I seriously hope Jachai Polite is available by Pick Number 20 should the cornerbacks go off the board like crazy. If not him, Brian Burns would not be a bad consolidation prize.

• Like Like x 1
  10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'll take Clowney and Matthews (to make Allstate commercials with Ben).

How can Suggs keep up with the young studs????

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Suggs has been ugly his whole life. He doesn't even realize he's too old to be playing still:hehehe:

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Shaquil Barrett all day for me. I just don't think Denver lets him go without a fight. I see Dupree back with the Steelers though. I'd rather he moved on, but I think the team feels otherwise. I hope they let him explore FA though, so maybe a team overpays and he is adios.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m not a big fan of keeping Dupree, even on a low cost contract. I don’t think he’s as bad as some make him out to be, but he is largely the same raw player now that he was 4 years ago. Maybe a new LB coach can get something out of him, but I have my doubts. In my view, Chickillo outplayed him in 2018. Chick doesn’t do anything spectacular, and he’s best as a backup, but he also executed his assignments more consistently than Dupree in both run defense and rushing the passer. Chick has instincts and football sense that Dupree has not developed. I would try hard to resign Chick as the 3rd OLB, and possibly the interim starter bridging the gap to a rookie taking over later in the year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I would let him walk, but our depth sux at that position, maybe something happens in the offseason where letting him go is easier to swallow?

When does the decision need to be made by?

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    March

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Let him leave, we will find somebody just as good and alot cheaper.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Yea, I can see it now though. Belichick picks him up and turns him into an all pro worlds greatest OLB to ever grace the NFL with his presence. QB's will be shaking in their shoes to the likes of the the way Lambert intimidated Elway. Colbert, Tomlin and Butler will take credit for his development and blame Stephen A., Mark Madden and Steelers fans everywhere for not believing in his potential. The Cheaters will win their 11 SB title and he walks away as MVP.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    What has he done in 5 years that tells you that he is going to tear it up for any team?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Let him go. He was a bust.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Sorry. I forgot the semi green font.;)

21. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    We'll sign him. He's a Steeler. It's our way. Doesn't matter that he sucks.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The funny thing is, how much do you want to bet Dupree ends up playing for the Patriots, only to see Bud start flourishing at the pass rush becoming a force?

I'm not even joking.

Now if he goes to the Cardinals, his career is as good as toast. <<Kidding..

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I heard on a Steelers podcast if they cut Dupree, Gilbert, and Burnett that will save them over 17 million in cap space. Do it :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 5
  24. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    If that is truly the case then it should not even be a question, cut them. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Actually 4 years.