1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The current WR Situation

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, May 6, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If you are clueless enough that you don't realize Tyler Boyd is better than Scotty Miller, Van Jefferson, and Quez Watkins, that's your problem.

2. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That's what I'm thinking. People act like Brown or DJ were top prospects out of College and they got lucky that they fell to the third round.

SD keeps saying Wilson needs to get bigger and stronger, he's bigger and faster than DJ and Brown. Just because he's not faced a lot of press man coverage. I think he'll pick it up as he's a much better blocker coming out of college than either of them! I have a hard time not believing he could improve on coming off press man at the Pro level.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I mean Martavis Bryant is out there. :cool:

Still I don't mind a coach bringing in so many of his former players to help with the transition, but they were not amazing in Atlanta (in a dome for half their games) expecting them to be that much better in Pittsburgh is kind of dumb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Everyone keeps saying we are in win now mode though. Not sure if it’s because Hayward is done and Watt is getting older or because of Russell Wilson being a dinosaur.

• Like Like x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not I. Hell I pray I'm wrong, and We win it all, but I'm seeing..... Win better....maybe a little bit more mode. LoL. Again... Pray I'm wrong.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    After the draft I doubt the Steelers were still interested in Boyd, so it doesn't matter what he eventually signed for, if he rejected their offer early in free agency they probably broke off talks.

8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Except Diontae is legit #2 outside WR, and Wilson is a slot WR.

9. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Dionte Johnson- 5-10", 183 coming out of college. Roman Wilson, 5'11", 185 coming out of college. What makes Dionte an outside WR, while you pen in Roman as a slot? Because he "gasp" blocks? Because he doesn't have a 6'4" ego? Because Dionte ran a 4.53 40 and Wilson ran a 4.39? Explain.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Are posts like this really necessary? Let's try harder to foster productive conversations.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Thats what I’m wondering. If its route running can’t he learn it? He is supposedly a hard worker an the exceeds DJ in agility and speed so to me it sounds like its a matter of just learning it.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He is a rookie with a lot to learn. I like him and I hope he can make an immediate impact, but that's far from a safe bet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    But is he better than Roman Wilson?

14. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I hope I am too.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Exactly. I think were in win now as in win one playoff game the rest after that is gravy. We still aren’t completely built out yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The defense should still be good, if the offense is at least competent we should go pretty far.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You're really trying to compare a small rookie WR to Diontae a proven veteran and good route runner, I expect Wilson to mostly play in the slot.

• Like Like x 1
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He didn't last year :shrug:

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Possibly. Counting on rookies to be big contributors at receiver is risky business. Some can step right in and contribute, as Diontae Johnson did. Hines Ward and Antonio Brown both did very little at receiver as rookies. Historically, the results are all over the place. Louis Lipps was an impact rookie. Lynn Swann and John Stallworth combined to catch only 27 passes in 1974. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  22. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    We are going to have to hope that...

1.) George Pickens balls out
    2.) Roman Wilson is Puka 2.0
    3.) Cal Austin 3:16 gets more productive
    4.)TE's become larger part of passing attack

Then throw in no major injuries occur.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  23. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    We don’t really have a choice. We had so many holes to fill I knew free agency and the draft weren’t going to fill all of them. If Khan would have drafted out of fear instead of placing value to position and not reaching or over drafting then we would have ended up drafting a Center in the first round and had a much lesser OT pool to draw from in the second round. Its the same with WR’s in free agency. They have ones they like and ones they don’t see value in or at least now they don’t now that they got Wilson. I think that is the situation with Boyd. They tried gong that same route with Robinson last year and it didn’t work out that great. Because there is nothing really out there in free agency they are taking flyers on athletic speed guys who at the very least can stretch the field. Its obvious they are looking for a very specific skill set at WR now. They want a speed guy that has size and can play on the perimeter. There just are n’t alot of those guys out there that are available.

So you saying counting on a rookie wr is risky but in todays NFL these wr’s are significantly more prepared coming into the league than they were ten years ago. With this guys work ethic I am confident he will be successful this year. With that said I find it comical that you don’t mention the risk of rookie contributions at the other positions. Offensive line is one of the hardest positions for a rookie to transition into at the next level. Then your asking a guy at the pivot to be able to read defenses and stunts etc. and be able to call those out and make adjustments on the fly. Again you only focus on the points that are relevant to supporting your narrative instead of looking at the whole picture.

24. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    You have seen the depth chart right? I fully expect to see Roman Wilson playing WR2 this year. Big difference will be in all the 2 WR sets the Steelers run this year. Last year someone posted that Atlanta ran only 18% of their offensive plays out of a 3 WR set; Pittsburgh was in the 70s.

I am still hoping that Khan can bring in a legitimate #2 WR, but if not, Roman Wilson may have to step up, until he hits that rookie wall.

In a 2 WR set, is there a Slot WR on the field? Not sure how this works exactly. Because I see Muth being the inside slot guy when the Steelers run 2 WRs and 2 TEs.

25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If this is gonna be like Tennessee during the Arthur Smith era, it will be pound the rock and hit a TE or WR deep on play action. We can do that all day with Muth and Pickens.

If those guys go down with a big injury the team will be pretty limited, and I still don't have a good feeling not having a big time #2 WR though.

• Like Like x 1