1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The current WR Situation

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, May 6, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Wanting to be traded if you can't get the contract you desire is "all sorts of red flags?"

I don't know much about Aiyuk off the field. Perhaps I'm missing some other stuff about him.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Steelers need a WR this group going into this season has to be the worst in pro football.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    The 49ers are trying win a Super Bowl and Aiyuk has no real leverage. I’d be surprised if he is moved before the season.

Even if they do move him they will want an AJ Brown type deal and the acquiring team will have to pay him top of the market money. Are Steelers fans comfortable with that? I don’t think the team is in a position to be giving away first round picks given the QB situation.

I could see the Steelers trading for a Tyler Lockett or Courtland Sutton type for maybe a mid round pick swap deal, ie Steelers give up a third and get a fourth back. That would be a far more sensible move

• Like Like x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm pumped for the backfield but they may both have to rush for 100 yards with Wilson giving us another 50. Our WR situation is why I won't think more then 8-9 wins. TBH I was never sold on Pickens. He fits into this wonderful me me me generation. And I worry about the head problems and I'm not talking a hard hit to the head.

5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    They will add another veteran before the season I hope. You never know who will end up on the market as a cap casualty, or they could trade for someone

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    read this AM that CA was impressive during spring practices, may be our #2. it does / can take a couple years to get your 'legs' in the NFL - that coupled with a juvenile QB and OC for 2 seasons.

then I could say "I told you so" if this is a solid season for him. Some here have been trashing him left and right

we will see

:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. LoneHorseman

LoneHorseman Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Pickens makes them palatable, but bottom 5 for sure. Khan would be doing this team a disservice if he doesn't make a substantial move for a 1A or 1b wr. Thought they could've been a bit more aggressive in the 1st round and really swung for the fences, but we're here and if Pickens goes down with an injury, this offense will be in bigger trouble than last year

8. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    Not liking all the Alex Highsmith talk about trading for Aiyuk as they just redid his contract to move his 2024 Salary to GTD Bonus to free up some Cap room in 2024; increasing his Dead Cap cost to $22.4 million if traded. Wouldn't this trade cost the Steelers 35.38 million in cap space this year? (22.4'AH + 14.1'BA - 1.12'AH)

Everyone knows San Fran wants to keep Aiyuk for this year, and then Tag and trade him next year.

Question: Can a player put a no trade clause in his Franchise Tag contract? Seems like the player would want some input on where he gets traded to.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2024
  9. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    #2WRs are getting contracts similar to what the 49ers offered Aiyuk. If Aiyuk is the #1 he needs to be paid like the #1. OR, he should ask for a trade to a team that will pay him #1WR money. It's not red flags or diva behavior, it's business.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Again it will really depend on how new OC will call games. This is a very large component
    many people overlook. I hope for the best.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    My biggest concern is how will Pickens handle the constant double teams? Will we be able to go deep to Pickens? How will Pickens handle being a decoy on a significant amount of plays without production? I think he in fact may open it up for the other receivers and I think the TE’s and RB’s are going to be heavily involved in the passing game to make up for the production lost by not having DJ. Without having a real threat opposite Pickens to draw away double coverage I can see his production going down this year and if he isn’t coached well him getting frustrated. I am hopeful Smith can scheme him open to get him 5 plus targets a game. Hopefully our run game and Friermuth are ultra productive which will open things up for Pickens on go balls and play action. The key is gong to be patience as I think it will take time to develop that and time in games even for Pickens to not give up on routes but sell the downfield route even though he knows he isn’t getting the ball. Hopefully one of these other Receivers can step up and become an above average Receiver which in my mind would really enable this offense and Pickens to flourish.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we have plenty of WR's not named pickens that are very capable of going deep and making teams pay for double covering pickens. we also have at least one QB that can read what the defense is doing and find the under covered receiver. with our TE's , RB's and pickens taking up coverage and creating mismatches, defenses will have a hard time defending all this. no worries about a number given to another receiver that we have, they are all capable. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. UKSheffieldSteeler

UKSheffieldSteeler Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2020
    Are we really in this much trouble just because we don't have Diontae Johnson? Nobody really rated him when he was here anyway.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

agreed

now, all of the sudden - HAIR ON FIRE b/c "drop the ball and run backwards" DJ is gone? waaaaay overblown.

CA will pick up some of that slack, so will Muth and a a REAL OC calling plays with a better Oline and better scheme in general.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    So you don't think Wilson or Austin will see double teams? Cause what I am reading says Austin is 'uncoverable', and Wilson has moves like DJ.

• Like Like x 1
  16. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

IF CA is not doubled, he will RUN PAST defenders ALL DAY long. D's BETTER keep a S over the top on him. Russ Wilson is bragging on him big time the past week or 2.

problem is Kenny Suck Pickett could not get him the ball, not could Cana-duh scheme him into the game.

17. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    My understanding is the issue with both of them is being able to beat press coverage at the line of scrimmage. Neither has displayed a proficiency in doing so. Calvin Austin had alot of wasted steps and motion trying to beat press and Wilson has little to no experience in doing so based on how he was used in college. I did here that Austin seems to be improving in that area. I don’t think the WR’s had a very good position coach the last few years but it sounds like the new guy demands accountability and is much more hands on.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    If I’m Calvin Austin i’m studying the heck out of Tyreek Hill. I’m mimicking my game after him down to the finest details. They have similar speed and athletic ability with Hill obviously being better. Their RAS scores coming out of college were similar. The other thing is Austin needs to get stronger and add some bulk. I just don’t know if that would hurt his speed and quickness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    CA3 is listed at 5'9"-160, I think that may be a small bit exaggerated. Hill lists at 5'10"-190, and Steve Smith played at 5'9"-195. Darren Sproles came in at 5'6"-190. CA3 definitely needs to add bulk. Right now just a hand shove is going to disrupt his route. If his speed goes from 4.32/40 to 4.35/40 in the process, so what? Still plenty of speed for the NFL.

BUT....When this guy gets free downfield, nobody is going to run him down.

Putting guys in motion pre-snap is a good way to get easier releases at the LOS.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    They definitely need to put guys in motion pre snap. That isn’t something we did last year much especially with him. He needs to add about 25 more pounds. I get the NLF has changed and protects WR’s but 160 lbs is way to light.

21. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Tyreek Hill level is almost impossible but maybe Lockett for Austin?

• Like Like x 1
  22. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    True

23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    LOL They have a collection of players they collected off the scrap heap and Austin, who did very little with his opportunity to step up when Johnson was hurt last season.

24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe he doesn't have to be like anyone else. just be calvin austin with an opportunity to show what you can be. same as all the receivers we have. this is your audition to see if you can be a starter. most have had starters in front of them prior to this and this will be one last shot to show their stripes. many hungry players with an opportunity. maybe not a bad idea. the money is there next year if you break out this year. show us what you got. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

lots of talking heads around here, including me. dust will settle soon enough.....

Austin is a speed demon. I am betting AS will find a way to USE HIM, unlike CANADUH and Pickett was one look, duck and roll , so CA never had a chance.

• Agree Agree x 1