1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The current WR Situation

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, May 6, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That's a fair argument.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    scribes wrong, scribes wrong, scribes wrong, scribes wrong, scribes wrong, scribes wrong, scribes wrong, scribes wrong, scribes wrong, scribes wrong, scribes wrong, scribes wrong, scribes wrong, scribes wrong, scribes wrong, scribes wrong.

oh, and one more thing, scribes wrong. :cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    See....we agree sometimes. We don't have to agree on everything.

• Like Like x 3
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    But they do have a lot of expensive guys on offense already, by next season either Aiyuk or Deebo will be gone IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Did you even look at his stats. You have to love the trend in his production. Not a full-time starter his rookie year, and is just getting better and better every year he plays.
    upload_2024-6-29_14-30-51.png

I still believe James Daniels and a 3rd round pick gets him to Pittsburgh. Daniels would be a huge upgrade for the 49ers at RG.

6. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I listened to two separate sports radio shows today and neither one thought Aiyuk would be leaving San Fran. They hold all the cards. They have his fifth year option then can franchise tag him if they so choose. Even if he was to leave, Pittsburgh wasn't mentioned as a possible landing spot by either show, which means very little. Still, I would guess that the 9ers would prefer to keep him for a Super Bowl run this year.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    He did an interview recently. He gave the order of where he thinks he is going. It went SF, Washington, someone else (I think it was the Titans.....but can't remember for sure), Steelers. He wants paid, so I am sure that is a big factor on his team picks. Do you want to win a SB and make 18 million, or not see the SB and make 30 million? Easy math there really.

As things stand now, the Steelers really need some players to step up at the WR spot. Pickens is a #2 receiver (IMO) that needs to elevate his play and conduct to become a #1. I think that he has the skill to do it too. I also think that the TE group is going to help plug the WR hole, especially since our new OC has a history of using them. Then we need 1 or 2 of those #3/4 guys to step up and become a solid #2.

The pickings are slim for top end WR right now. The few that might be available are going to be very expensive both in money and draft picks. The fix is going to have to come from within.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2024
  8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think it’s extremely unlikely Aiyuk leaves SF now, they are trying to win a Superbowl. They will run it back and sign him next year when they can offload Deebo Samuel

The Steelers will probably make a much less exciting move when teams start to thin out their rosters. Going in to the season with what they have is very risky and it will be hard to evaluate the QB situation.

Pickens needs to take a huge leap and they are short a dependable veteran receiver

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You forgot the apostrophe. Every time. :cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016

Sideline report from about 2 weeks ago between Missi Matthews and Mike Prisuta. At about the 3 minute mark (if you want to watch the video and skip to the spot), Mike talks about a conversation he had with Alfredo Roberts, the TE coach. Short version is that Arthur Smith is staying true to his past with regard to TEs, at least right now. Lot of 2 and 3 tight end sets in the playbook.

I really think that the Steelers are going to limp along with the WRs they have, unless some great deal falls into their lap.....and that won't be a draft pick(s) plus 30 million a year. They are going to plug the WR shortage with TEs. I expect a grind and pound offense. We have some good TEs, we have a fantastic RB duo, and 2 QBs that can run if needed. We have also made some great improvements on the Oline (at least on paper) that will support the run.

• Like Like x 3
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

i agree and this is what i have been saying. the sum of all the parts. it is a strategy that could very well work with the solid defense we have. not getting caught up in shoot outs will be crucial. maybe not superstars but enough ability to get the job done. how fast they put it together will determine a lot. injuries will matter, not only to us but teams we play. you just never know what might happen during the season.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    This is still possible he will have a extension with the 49ers...This is what I expect....remember Jonathan Taylor last year with the colts?...It was more ugly at that time of the year

14. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
  15. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    I’d rather have Metcalf if the Seahawks are even remotely interested. Maybe not as talented but better character

• Like Like x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Really does look like he could be Tomlins son :lolol:

I don’t see it happening though. For a lot of reasons already discussed here.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Trellaine

Trellaine Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    OMG lets go HARD on this!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Ayiuk has stated as of today he wants to be traded

• Like Like x 1
  19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

don't think their brand new HC will want to part w him

20. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

he sounds like a WHACK JOB to me. all sorts of red flags, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Right but that doesn't mean they have to. I suppose it all depends on whether the Steelers feel like giving up a first round draft pick for him because in my opinion it will take at least that much and then some. Not to mention the big contract you would have to sign him to.
    I don't think there will be any shortage of teams that have interest in him so it might be whoever the highest bidder is.

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If the 49ers open up the bank vault wide enough, Aiyuk will be saying he wanted to stay there all along.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I honestly dont think he will stay with SF. Too many 9ers need to be paid or going to need to be paid a kings ransom including but not limited to Kittle and Purdy

24. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Honestly I could care less if Khan can make a deal or not for Ayiuk because we won't be able to afford him after his first year. We have a huge need for a veteran WR

25. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    I think they will gave a contract extension to Aiyuk before the season start or tag him next year and after that they trade Samuel to another team