1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The current WR Situation

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, May 6, 2024.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I somewhat disagree with this.

By the statement itself alone, I agree. Tying up at least 10% or more of the salary cap to a dependent position is quite unheard of; no matter who the WR is. As you said, even with Randy Moss, New England didn't win a Super Bowl with him. However, there is a new growing trend across the league; signing WRs to lucrative deals if the QB is on a Rookie Deal. Now, this only includes the likes of CJ Stroud with Stefon Diggs and J.J. McCarthy with Justin Jefferson but I seriously doubt this will be the end of such transactions happening within the near future. While the detriment of such a cap hit is massive for some teams, others who have that Rookie QB on that Rookie Deal can quickly maximize that QBs development and learning curve significantly. If anything, the concept itself isn't entirely new at all; Buffalo doing this with the likes of Josh Allen by acquiring Stefon Diggs from the Vikings. Tyreek Hill to Miami to aid Tua is another major one as well; Tua getting ready to receive his extension soon no less.

Overall, I imagine that the likes of Tee Higgins will command major interest and thus, likely will continue this trend with another Rookie QB on a Rookie Deal. Who that QB is on the Rookie Deal is anyone's guess but the likes of New England and Washington are early favorites for 2025 as both will have some of the highest possible Salary cap in the league. I would also like to include the likes of Carolina as well even though they are not as highly positioned as the other two.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I wasn't suggesting that, just speaking to the potential age concern that had been mentioned.

I like Warren, but think he'll need a compliment for the offense to be most effective.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Harris was better than both Jacobs and Barkley in 2023. Going to the Eagles might revitalize Barkley, but I wouldn't be shocked if he goes the other direction.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I'm not sure why you would think there's a significant portion of people that do think every RB is equal to a Christian McCaffrey. Regardless, I'm having trouble keeping up with your argument on the team's stance as it applies to Harris. You say they may be moving away from him because there's no 'mythical value' in RBs (for which I see no evidence), that he'll be 27 next season (which for the purposes of picking up his fifth-year option is irrelevant IMO), and then you describe the bad situation he was placed in (I agree, but it doesn't help the case against keeping him).

To be clear, I'm not suggesting Harris is a top-five back. But, like you, I see his value as trending up heading into a season with a new OC and improved OL. And since his production was already valued at ~$6.9M last year it would seem a no-brainer to lock him up for $7M in 2025, especially with some of the other considerations the team will likely have next offseason at QB, DL, WR, and CB.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I would hate to see this offense this year without Najee under the Arthur Smith system. With that being said when your building a team spending money on the RB position is a luxury. Until we are settled at Qb and everything else is built out it is hard to justify spending money on extending Najee but having him this year in the new system for cheap will be interesting to see if he is who we though he would be.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I am speaking in the general sense of people who believe that RBs have the same level of value. I didn't state "significant". The fact of the matter is that, while players do deserve to get paid, certain positions are far more valuable than others. Offensive Tackles will continue to make more than Centers while EDGE Players will continue to outpace their IDL counterparts. Not ideal I know but that is how the NFL Market is speaking currently. If anything, Slot WRs are far more valuable than Running Backs as having three rock solid WRs is much more preferrable than having a singular three down back. :eek:

Incorrect for the first. Again, the whole "mythical value" statement was based on the general consensus that RBs as a whole have increased in value. They haven't; only a select few of those positions receiving increased payment based on who they are. This is an important difference for it illustrates the fact that while the general populace of NFL fans want Running Backs to get their due payment, the reality is the average Running Back's value is tied directly to their Offensive Line; only certain exceptions and not rules (more on this later). For Najee Harris, he falls under the rules aspect of this (again, more on this later).

As for the second, Running Backs have the shortest amount of NFL Careers; under 2.6 for a rough estimate. Signing Najee long term given his age in addition to the nature of the position itself isn't ideal. Keep in mind that Najee has 978 total touches per Pro Football Reference. That is an awful lot of touches; doubly so since those touches are not accumulating production in terms of Rushing Touchdowns and Receiving Touchdowns. Josh Jacobs has shown he is capable of taking his bevy of touches and transforming that into points whereas Christian McCaffrey has shown that, no matter how he touches the football, he will accumulate production from a scoring perspective. For that matter, given how often SaQuon Barkley has been injured, one would expect him to have fewer total touchdowns than Najee. However, this isn't simply the case; 47 for SaQuon compared to 22 for Najee. Mind you when I stated that SaQuon was brought into a terrible situation. Also remember that SaQuon was drafted as high as he was for a reason; being able to create something from nothing from the Running Back perspective. Again, in spite of his injury history, he has been productive compared to a player who has never missed a game in Najee Harris. What is even more damning against Harris is the fact that, like him, SaQuon has never been behind even a middle of the road Offensive Line.

Finally, for the third, as I stated before and alluded to earlier, the relationship between the Running Back and the Offensive Line is symbiotic. However, of the two, the Offensive Line is the greatest factor towards the success of the Running Back. There are exceptions to this rule as I pointed out earlier; Barry Sanders being arguably NFL History's greatest ever example. However, such an extreme exception only further validates the rule; doubly so for a position that is, again, very short on time as a career choice in the NFL. Unfortunately speaking, Najee is apart of the rule and has not and likely will not prove to be the exception. He does have flashes of it but such occurrences are few and far between.

Neither do the Steelers. For that matter, if he was, he would have gotten both the fifth year option taken care of and the extension done already. This, once again, leads me to my end point from earlier; Najee may have a great 2024 Campaign and will look to cash in elsewhere.

Overall, do I wish the Steelers had signed Najee?! I do. However, what I want and what the Steelers want are two entirely different things. Doesn't mean I agree with them but it does mean I understand their perspective.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I really don't think this has anything to do with the rationale behind the team not exercising his option. Who are the people that think RBs have the same level of value (whether compared to other positions, or within the position itself)? Even the positions you note that presently carry higher value within the league have tiers (i.e, contract AAV) that segregate the amounts at which specific players are valued. Further, sites like OTC factor the current market into their valuations, where Harris was rated at $6.9M for 2023.

Again, I'm not sure who the consensus is that you think sees RBs as having increased in value. The position has been on a general downturn in comparative value for years now.

Average career length encompasses a wide range of variables across every depth of player, starter to practice squad. As such, applying it to a specific situation - here, a three-year starter yet to miss a game - isn't entirely valid, especially under the consideration of picking up a fifth year.

Similarly, the general touchdown stat is too broad a metric to be leaned heavily upon with respect to a RB's value; it incorporates too much team-dependent performance. You're further skewing it as a value point by implying the totals of Jacobs or Barkley are fair comparison to Harris when each has played in over 20 additional games (you also forgot Harris' receiving touchdowns in your comparison to Barkley). Looking at TD/game shows the gap closing: Barkley 0.64, Jacobs 0.63, Harris 0.55. Over a 17-game season that would equate to about one additional TD for Barkley/Jacobs.

Well, I don't think being a top-five back should be the pre-req to qualify for an option year being picked up. FWIW, Harris did rank 7th last year in rushing, and would seemed poised to post better numbers under Smith's offense and with an improved line. So I'm just not seeing the same perspective you are.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If he can stay healthy, which is highly doubtful!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Unless there is a Minkah situation where a 2nd year player wants out, I don't think I would ever give up a 1st round pick for a WR who is going into his 2nd contract.

Hoping the Steelers don't trade a future 1st round pick for a WR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    why would they? this is the nfl, only very few can play at this level. none of them suck. :cool:

14. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    IMG_0041.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    While I agree with this totally for running backs, I don't at all for WR's. I think they are one of the least fungible positions on a team. After QB and CB I'd say 3rd is a toss-up between edge rusher of WR. For every Puca Nacua you draft, you'll have 10 Chase Claypools to wade through first.

16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    We got two years of 850yds and 5.5 touchdowns for peanuts and traded him for JPJ. I’ll take that ten times

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    To be honest, players are getting greedy, in which i dont blame them, but it comes with consequences. We seen pay-scale go down for Rbs, the same thing will come around to Wrs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Da Bears

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    So why are you buying into what their position coach is saying about the Steelers' receivers?

20. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    why aren't you? he is the guy coaching them and seeing them every day. i'll take his word over a HS English teacher. just saying. :cool:

22. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Russell Wilson's history of hitting the deep WR combined with CA3's speed and ability to get open immediately has me excited a bit. Crafty veteran QBs with speedy WRs are typically a great combination.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I have to admit....I'm a bit excited about it myself....I hope not overly so.

24. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    If Sean Payton thinks trading Courtland Sutton away for Najee Harris is going to hurt Russell Wilson more than it helps him, I can now see this trade happening before Training Camp.

FYI Courtland Sutton was at the Broncos Minicamp, so everyone is assuming he is off the market, but........

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It's not about expertise. It's about bias. If you had a little more faith in English teachers, you might have put more work into developing your critical thinking skills.