1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The current WR Situation

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, May 6, 2024.

1. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Hey all,

Can you give some feedback on this?

The chicken little in me has been acting up on this.

The new OC appears to be more ground attack orientated but what if the Steelers go down 14 points in the 1st quarter?

Pickens will be double teamed and what if he gets injured?

If opening Day was this Sunday what would the 5 or 6 WR depth chart/PS look like?

I imagine there will be cuts but every scheme must have a learning curve.

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

Look man...that's football. You do whatever you have to do to win. You compete your ass off. Your coaches try to find weaknesses in your opponents.

Sh!t happens in football. It's how you handle it that defines you.

Let's see what makes it to the field and then actually get to see the offense and the new players within that offense before we hurl ourselves off a cliff.

• Like Like x 3
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

if they double pickens, that leaves them with 9 to stop our 10 in the run game. :smiley1::cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Do we have to wait before we hurl other people off of said cliff???? LoL

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    If Khan is playing 3D Chess with Spock.... I would expect to see some singings this week, now that they will not be counted toward the Comp Picks next year.

I am thinking Boyd at WR, and Bud Dupree at OLB.

Myself, I am not a fan of Boyd's, and I really do like Roman Wilson's chances at replacing all of DJs production this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    My prediction is we trade for DK Metcalf after June 1st.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

maybe.

and they still have an eye on Deebo, I think. and even if not, we will use TE's better, there are other WR's on the roster (DJ NEVER lit it up) and Wilson (Rook) will get lots of reps!

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My experience watching the Steelers for over 55 years
    and especially since the cap era they have not paid 2 wr large
    Contracts at the same time, so if they sign Metcalfe to a large
    contract say good bye to George Pickens. No great loss as far as I am concerned
    unless he turns over a new leaf. And I am doubting this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I think your going to see Friermuth split out wide alot more and Wilson is going to enable us to forget about DJ fairly quickly. Regarding that second outside perimeter threat we have plenty of those to help keep the defenses honest. The lone issue will be GP will definitely get double teamed and the only way around that is to scheme him open and get another high pedigree wr in here. I have faith that Arthur Smith will work to scheme open more. GP is going to have to figure out how to beat the double coverage though. All the other teams number ones have to do it. Time for him to step into that true number one role. I mean Randy Moss didn’t have any great running mates on the outside to help him. He had great slot wr’s. GP will have a good slot wr in Roman Wilson. The issue may be that GP may be more of a decoy this year with Friermuth and Roman Wilson getting all of the short to intermediate routes. He may sulk and not like that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If Pickens goes down the team is toast.

Pat Fragilemuth will miss games this year, that is a given.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Exactly. I think them looking at a high pedigree FA to trade for at WR is more indicative of their lack of faith in GP. I think its the same thing with Najee as it is with DJ, Dotson, Okorofafor etc. They are slowly getting rid of guys with attitudes who perhaps have hurt the offense over these years. Sure you can point to Canada but I think there is alot more to it than that. We basically have purged our whole offense of Colbert picks with the exception of guys still under contract who we may see as salvageable or at minimum serviceable until their contracts play out.

12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

he got double teamed last year, nothing new there

Austin is FAST - run him on fly patterns, a S will peel off and cover him.

13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They have shown their hand relying on the archaic style of offense. At this time I don't see a major name signing. Maybe Khan has something up his sleeve but the sleeve is getting shorter.

Why do they need Dud Alvin?

14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    To replace Markus Golden. Who is your 4th OLB this year? Bud Dupree on a 1 year Vet Minimum contract.

15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

many / most teams are toast if their Pro Bowl #1 WR goes down.

Unless you have a Top 3 QB that can overcome it - we, of course don't have that QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Robinson?

there is only so much $$$ to go around.....

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree. no to dupree. herbig and perales. i have a hunch austin will surprise some this year. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't agree , but that was a clever play on His name:thumbs_up:

19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Mark Robinson is a hard hitting ILB that has trouble in the passing game. I have not heard anything about him moving outside.

If the price is right, I would rather have Dupree over Golden. They definitely still need a 4th to be available on game day. Right now it looks like it is all UDFAs behind Herbig on the outside. I think the Steelers work better by rotating their OLBs in and out of the game.

• Like Like x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They signed OLB Jeremiah Moon from Baltimore, he will likely be #4 OLB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    that would be wild but I don’t think they are willing to give up the draft capital. I think more modestly, like one of these three:

22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    My experience as Madden extraordinaire has been to stay patient with the run until something opens up big then take your shot.

Of course you need to be unpredictable which is something I'm hoping for very much from the new OC hopefully.

23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    An undrafted free agent Rookie last year that had 6 solo tackles and 0 sacks. This is the guy you want getting around 200 - 400 snaps this year? Last year we completely lucked out with Watt and Highsmith each going over 900 snaps. Resulting in Herbig and Golden each clocking in around 200 snaps; this year I would not expect to be so lucky.

24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

My thoughts exactly.

Seattle did indeed say there wasn't any interest. However, that is likely due to D.K.s Pre June 1st cut. Post June 1st is more manageable for them; a good asking price being all that remains to seal the deal.

25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I honestly am thinking the Khan man is going to bring a vet in. I think he is being patient to who may fall though.

I am loving this Khan and Weidl

• Agree Agree x 1