1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Crossroads

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerSteve, Nov 2, 2011.

1. SteelerSteve

SteelerSteve Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2011
    First time poster here, could never get registered the old message board. Anyway, I personally believe that this game has unfolded to be THE GAME that will determine whether we are the #1 seed in the AFC or merely a wild card with a tough road back to the Super Bowl. This is why I am so concerned about our D not being at anywhere near full strength for this game. Historically in this series it has been Harrison, Woodley, and Polamalu making the game changing defensive play that swings things in our favor or seals the game. We will most likely be missing 2 of those 3 so who steps up? I personally believe that you are going to see our Defensive MVP of this season, Ike Taylor to be monstrous in this game by taking away Anquan Boldin much like he did with Welker last week. Also, you are about to see Lawrence Timmons make the splash play as he will figure out how to use his speed to beat Fat Boy McKinney all night long!!! Finally, we need to play Troy almost as a LB closer to the line so he can pick up coverage on Rice and also those TE slants they like to run with Dickson and Pitta or Pita as Tomlin called him in the news conference. Offensive has one assignment only: No Turnovers!!!
    Steelers 27
    Ravens 20

IF WE WIN THIS GAME AS i PREDICT, I BELIEVE WE FINISH 13-3 WITH #1 SEED, IF WE LOSE WE WILL FINISH 12-4 OR 11-5 AND BE A WILD CARD, GET IT DONE STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Our defence doesn't worry me at all. The problem in week #1 wasn't our defence, it was the fact that our offence turned the ball over 53 times. When that happens, there's only so much the defence can do.

My only concern this game is the offensive line and how Ben reacts under pressure. If he blindly throws the ball through the air like he did in week 1, then we will lose. If the line can give him a bit of time and if he throws it away or checks down when under pressure, we will win. You just never know which Ben you're going to get. Plus we still don't know how much our offensive line has improved as we haven't played anyone with a pass rush since week 1.

This game will tell us a lot about our team.

3. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I believe that the defense will do better against the run this game, the offense will do better, but I am worried about the pass rush. Who will put consistant pressure on Flacco if they double team Kiesel and keep a running back in the backfield to block Troy. Can the dbacks cover without a good and consistant pass rush?

If the offense plays good I see the Steelers winning somewhat of a shootout.

4. SteelerSteve

Nov 2, 2011
    The O-Line has played much better and we should have the same unit in tact for the third straight week, imagine that! Max is gonna need some help with Suggs quickness in the form of Redman or Johnson chipping. But mostly we are going to deal with their pass rush with our new found mastery of the short passing game and with the No huddle that has always been so effective in slowing their rush down. I expect our old friend Hines to prove once again how valuable he can be in the Red Zone passing game as well! Man I am fired up for this game!!!!!!!!!!

5. Sixpack

Sixpack Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I also believe that this game will tell us a lot about where we are at. I had high hopes for Timmons at outside lb, but he had has shown little there and has not been able to use his speed to get around the tackle for some reason...very dissapointing. Ben made some quick throws against the pats but he also held on to the ball quite a bit and that won't work against the ratbirds. If we play turnover free ball on offense and limit rice......we have a chance to win.

6. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree.Contain Rice and Flacco on Defense.Limit turnovers on offense and we will be in good shape.I'm nervous as hell about this game.I hope we come out pissed and fired up. GO STEELERS!!

7. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm excited too, but this thread is bipolar. Nobody can seem to decide if it's defense that needs to step up and overcome it's issues or the offense and it's own set of issues. If Tomlin and Co. have the players focused on a great scheme and they play with an excited purpose to prove to themselves and set the record straight it might be more exciting than last week. If they are not comfortable in this theater and tentative in their rolls then we might see a repeat.

Tomlin did say one thing that was intriguing in his press conference. He said many of these new guys who are filling in didn't really have the history of last weeks game and that rivalry so nothing got into their heads. Maybe the same this week and they just go out and play well trained football.

8. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If Ben can get the short passing game going again it'll back up the pass rush, then run the ball down their throat. When they get close to the line again, short passes.

9. SteelerSteve

Nov 2, 2011
    All things considered, Ben will be the difference between our offense and theirs. Throw out the aberration that was week 1 this year and Ben has dominated this series and he is playing possibly the best football of his career and has the best weapons he has ever had! If we contain Rice, Flacco is simply not good enough to beat us! Especially with his lack of weapons and the fact that Ike will take away Boldin this time instead of wasting his time on Lee Evans who won't be playing or the rookie Torrey Smith who truly is a one trick pony on the outside. Our offense is simply better than theirs! It is our defense that needs to overcome the adversity of the injuries and do exactly that, CONTAIN RICE, and we will win this game!

10. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

I watch a bit of that game until the ratbirds started to come back. I think it was on the 4th attempt that Smith finally caught one. Before that catch, it looked like he was swatting at flies.

11. SteelerSteve

Nov 2, 2011
    I watch a bit of that game until the ratbirds started to come back. I think it was on the 4th attempt that Smith finally caught one. Before that catch, it looked like he was swatting at flies

It's funny you say that! I have noticed that sometimes he looks so clumsy when going for a ball that I am afraid the refs are going to mistake it for pass interference! Please don't let that happen this weekend on one of those deep prayers!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Thats the thing, you can't just throw out the first game. BR has played his best football as well as some of the worst of his career this season. I'm concerned about his consistency. Which Ben will show up? The one who tries to force stuff, holds the ball too long, and turns the ball over 5 times or the Ben who takes what the D is giving, throws for over 300 yds and 4 TDs? Even last week against the patsies, he had a few brain farts taking unnecessary sacks and the INT was horrible. This game depends a lot on which Ben shows up.

13. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Do we know what the LB lineup is yet? Unlike last week where we went DB heavy, the key here is stopping Ray Rice and making Flacco beat us.

14. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    yeah Ben missed a few big plays, he threw some what could've been big plays into the ground, or just way off target, and the receivers were wide open. The other thing we have going (again depends on which Ben shows up, seems to be the same thing with Flacco lol) is the no huddle, that should keep the pass rush back on their heals too. ( if things are clicking) take a page out of NE on how they play against the rush.

If the ratbirds want to throw NE offense at us with the 2 TE's and the short cross routes, well we know what happened last week. :D

15. SteelerSteve

Nov 2, 2011
    Sure the interception he threw against NE was a bad mistake, the kind you cannot afford in a game against Baltimore but, I would not call Ben inconsistent this season. I would rather look at it as they have gotten better as the season has gone on. With all the young guys working into major roles and the OL mess that took place the first 4 games, it threw everything off a little. Ask yourself this, would you rather have Ben under center Sunday night or Joe Flacco? For me, there is not another QB in the league I would want leading my team! And Suggs can say all he wants that he is looking forward to hearing Renegade, but I know Mr. Flacco wets himself a little everytime he hears it! Here we go Steelers!

16. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Heck - I'm not sure that 11-5 or even 12-4 will be GOOD enough for a wild-card the way things are going this year.

17. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Heh. It seems that way, but Nov-Dec always separates the wheat from the chaff.

Let's just hope that WE are truly wheat.