1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The comparasion....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steeldefense08, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    year--------------------------------Bens Stat--------------------------------------------Elis Stat------------------------------------

04................................#5, 66.4%, 98.1 rating................................n/a
    05................................#3, 67.7%, 98.6 rating................................#23, 52.8%, 75.9 rating
    06................................#21, 59.7%, 75.4 rating..............................#18, 57.7%, 77 rating
    07................................#2, 65.3%, 104.1 rating..............................#27, 56.1%, 73.9 rating
    08................................#24, 59.9%, 80.1 rating.............................#14, 60.3%, 86.4 rating
    09................................#5, 66.6%, 100.5 rating.............................#11, 62.3%, 93.1 rating
    10................................#5, 61.7%, 97.0 rating..............................#18, 62.9%, 85.3 rating
    11................................#10, 63.2 %, 90.1 rating...........................#7, 61.0%, 92.9 rating

http://www.mortgageloancalculating.com/ ... stics.html

2. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    and Ben SB MVP = 0 versus Eli = 2. What's your point ? Are we really that bias around here that we can't recognize Eli Manning's still a very good QB and he's been great for his team? Boy I hope not.

3. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    who gives a **** if he is a SB MVP. I just want trophies.

4. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    uuuhh okay. Eli = 2 SB MVPs AND 2 trophies. Sorry I still don't get your point.

5. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It's pretty simple. Ben is better than (insert name here).

If you can't see that, you need new B&G glasses.

;)

6. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    Well of course I kinda figured that was the point but then I got to thinking why should we care so again what's the point ? :roflmao:

7. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Okay - I am willing to say Eli has been something special, especially this year, I even give him a slight nod w/his current uptrend vs. Ben being more staying on an even plane...but with the body of work over eight years wouldn't you agree that Ben's stats are better?

Furthermore - as I posted elsewhere, keep in mind what the name Manning means in NFL circles. Eli won MVP with a 82.1 qb rating in 08, more than 10 points lower than Ben's when he didn't win.

8. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    2 things semi related to this topic ( **Note - I am the guy that killed Ben a bit in the 100 mill QB thread)

1) This is a good season to compare the players because they are both in their prime playing with a great young wide receiving corps. But...BUT! The one glaring thing that is barely mentioned on this board is that Ben was seriously hampered in HIS STYLE of his game this year with the ankle in the most important part of the season. Down the stretch when teams should be in tune. That is why I think he needed to film-up to compensate for his physical setbacks. Despite Arians calling games as if Ben was the same old Ben. IDIOT!!!

2) This game seemed similar to last years SB. There seemed to be a spark missing from us in that game, a competitive fire that was lower than usual, especially during a Super Bowl. I don't like the Pat's, but I expected a little bit more from them. That last drive was like ours. They didn't feel the belief or desire the win in the same way as the two winning teams.

9. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    Okay that stats. Yes they're better but who cares ? What I find ironic and even quite humorous is for years many of us Ben defenders (and I like Ben) have used the arguement that stats MEAN NOTHING and Ben should be considered an elite QB simply because he wins and here we are trying to prove Ben better than Eli based on STATS ? I'd say why not give Eli the same kind of credit we don't hesitate to give Ben regardless of what the stats say ;)

10. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Absolutely. :lolol:

11. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    What? Fairly apply a predetermined set of standards? Surely, you jest... :lolol:

12. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    These stats are just splitting hairs, both Ben and Eli are great QB's. We were never in the market for Eli at #10, if anything, I was fully expecting us to get Phillip "Cry me a" Rivers, whom would have been fine for us as well. The difference in these 3 guys has been negligible at this point in their careers (outside of Rivers not having the rings).

13. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    Yea I know. Keep hope alive right :roflmao:

14. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Well I did give Eli credit - but I think my point is, stats do mean something. I think there are many in the pundit world who like to say Ben wins because he is on the Steelers...i.e. he is the second coming of Jim Plunkett...if it weren't for the Steelers defense Ben would be considered average. But the stats don't bear that out as I am sure other than Brady, Manning, Rivers, and Brees, Ben has been the best QB in the league stat-wise (I didn't throw in Rodgers because he has been playing less time). And amongst those in front of him, Ben has been pretty good in the playoffs...certainly better than Rivers.

The way I look at it - to be an elite QB - my subjective view is:
    (1) You got to have good stats <Ben - Check, Eli - really not a check...I think the guy has two seasons of a qb rating greater than 90>
    (2) You got to be clutch...a guy who can put the game on your shoulders in the 4th quarter and go win it <Ben - Check, Eli - Check....super check for this year>
    (3) You got to be someone who can win in the playoffs <Ben - Check, Eli - Check>
    (4) You got to have some kind of intangible that is hard to defend <Ben - check, his toughness/sandlot capability, Eli - check his fearlessness...like the throw he made to Manningham...great catch, great guts to make that throw.>

I even said I give a slight nod to Eli right now because he is trending in the right direction, but based on those points there, it is certainly arguable that Ben still deserves to be called a better QB.

15. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I could care less for the comparison.

Both are good QBs who've won 2 Superbowls for their teams. Who really cares who has better stats here or there?

And give Eli credit. He lived in big brother's shadow for years. He didn't get lot of credit for a long time. He has more rings than Peyton now. I'm sure if you asked him if he'd rather the rings, or Peyton's stats, he'd laugh in your face.

16. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The most current stats are more important than earlier years. Especially, what has Ben/Eli done lately? However, what really matters most is who plays better next year.

17. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ben and Eli are very good QB''s.In the last few years,I would give a very slight edge to Eli, basically because the Giants have a better OC than the Steelers.Hopefully,with Haley,Ben can get to that next level and stay there? We will see.