1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The case for/against Justin Fields...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, May 9, 2024.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    In addition to Najee Harris's 5th yr option being declined, the Steelers also declined Justin Fields' option.... makes perfect sense as no one is paying 20+ mil on a backup qb, but does he actually have a future here???
    Let's discuss his pros and cons.

For:

1. Strong arm and can thread the needle as well as go deep

2. As good a scrambler as Lamar Jackson

3. Still young and moldable

4. Will get the chance to learn the offense, and learn in particular, behind an older qb with a similar skill set

5. High character

Against:

1. Holds ball too long

2. Too much scrambling opens him up to more punishment by defenders

3. Suspect field vision

4. 3 seasons in subpar offensive scheme, forcing him to play a lot of hero ball (pt.2)

5. Very mistake prone (pt. 3)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    For: he’s a Steeler

Against: we haven’t seen him play as a Steeler yet, so it’s not that we don’t want him to do well, we just don’t know that he is our future franchise

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    For: we want to win now so we want Wilson to do great, however he is long in the tooth and has maybe 2 good years left. If Wilson does well we don’t answer questions about Fields.

against: how do we truly evaluate fields if he is not our actual starter, especially the money he will expect to sign here long term. Wilson has a short shelf life and fields is an unknown commodity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    On your against, agreed but I do not think signing him to a 2 year ext. will be difficult. I have no idea the cost, but it actually would be in his and the organizations best interest to get a deal done. Even if Wilson has a decent year I would hope the team does not do the stupid thing and sign him to a CAP killing contract for a guy his age (we did that, remember).

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I want to answer, but I have 10x more against than for, and I have piled enough on the kid as it is. Would Love for Him to prove Me wrong....because proving Me right just hurts the Steelers, and therefore Me.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 5
  6. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    For: He’s not Trubisky.

Against: The Bears didn’t want him.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

Trust me... . I have a lot more against him myself as well... I'm just trying to be fair and acknowledge that the Bears did him no favors

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I have watched some Bears games to take a look at Fields. I am trying not to consider him a faster version of Pat White but it does appear that he is another one of those athletic/can't read defenses types.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Personally, I just want to get through the year with these two.
    I have no pros or cons.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm just hoping they can get a franchise QB a lot sooner then the Terry to Ben wait.

As for now Wilson has to stay healthy.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Well whether its Fields or Wilson that earns as an extension we have this kind of contract to look forward to.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    He's got the tools and seems to have a good character and attitude.

question is do we have the offensive coach that can help him learn and can he learn to read defenses and hang in the pocket? Thats the question.

we saw Rudolph beginning to learn to read defenses and better navigate the pocket so there is hope. Fields has a higher ceiling than MR but can he learn and is he willing to put in the work? That we don't know.

13. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Unless Russ wins the Super Bowl this year, he's not commanding $50 mil a year. $30-35 tops if he wins a playoff game or two. Same for Fields, but he's got to get the starting job first. Either way, if they bring home a Super Bowl, $40-50 million is pretty much a requirement.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont think they have to win a SB. If Russ lights it up this year he command top dollar. Look what Cousins got.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Turnover machine.
    Not a solid 4th quarter QB
    Reading is fundamental for Defenses
    Given up for a sawbuck next season.

When I saw what they got him for and what the talking heads were talking about I laughed. An 11th overall pick cast aside.

Look i'm not much for Tomlin but I know one thing he HATES the most is the Offense turning over the football. Which is baffling how he has spoken highly of Fields.

There is going to be a team in dire need of a QB due to an injury in 24. A nice 2nd rounder and getting back that 6th.

He is not the future at QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    I would've preferred MR over fields in that hes a proven capable back up

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Of course He has spoken highly of Fields. He's on our team, and it does no good for the coaches to cut him down. He also spoke highly of KFP, Trubisky, Haskins, and others who aren't here anymore. I totally agree with the.....he hates turnovers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    All of the against arguments were the same ones said about Big Ben during his first couple of years.

19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    So basically not an NFL QB. The stuff he does well worked for college.

The big knock is that he doesn't see the field well with poor processing speed. The hope is that he can learn this with support and a better system. I hope so, but history hasn't been kind to these.

So I guess we'll find out. It seems like you either have it or you don't at the QB position.

20. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    If he scores more points for us than he gives to our opponents he will exceed my expectations for a chicago cast-off ,hope Iam wrong ,again.

21. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

First couple of years????
    Ben won a super bowl in yr 2

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Funny you are quoting an article about Goff getting like $55 million a year and saying that Fields or Wilson have to win a Superbowl to get the big money. When did Jared Goff when his Superbowl?

Goff was ran out of L.A. when they realized they couldn't win the big one with him. Now he is the highest paid QB in the league. Trust me Owners will gladly shell out $50 million a year for a QB that has done absolutely nothing. Daniel Jones signed a 4 year $160 million contract and he is in jeopardy of losing his starting job like every other week. Daniel Jones was 1-5 in 2023 and carries a cap hit of $47.8 million for 2024.

Last edited: May 14, 2024 at 2:30 AM
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    So you're going to compare Goff, who's been to one Super Bowl and took the eternally pathetic Lions to the NFC Championship Game last year where he staked them to a 24-7 first half lead before the defense gave up 27 points in the second half, to a person who has done nothing, just that his team signed him to a terrible contract out of desperation.
    And FWIW, Daniel Jones led them to the playoffs in 2022, and won a divisional round game. Maybe why they signed him to a $40 contract, where others were in the $45-50 million range.
    Why do you always take one good example, then the absolute worst possible other example, and say these two things are absolutely the same? We didn't get the CB you wanted in the draft? That doesn't mean Kiddo the Wonder Dwarf is going to be playing CB for us this year (or worse, Pat Pete). We traded away a #2 receiver? It's impossible for us to make up those (checks stats) 700 yds receiving he had last year.

24. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Funny about those two, Goff and Jones.

Goff is a streaky passer that seems to have found a home in Detroit. His contract seems to be excessive, but these are the days.
    Daniel was a guy I wanted in Washington back in the day. He is also a streaky passer and can go from molten lava hot to the coldest temps in space.

I think Detroit is better at building to Goff and the coaching seems to tailor to his strengths.
    Daboll didn't have Jones last season, so jury is still out. Jones is in the Allen mold so maybe this year is different.

I hate both our QB's But I am rooting for Wilson to turn it around and give us 2 good seasons.
    Fields, I just can't see. Maybe they make him a slash. I just hope he does well enough to lure someone to make a trade, but we are in a horrible position as we would have to resign him...
    So, at this point, I have to punt and see what happens.

25. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Anyone read article on toxic relationship w Foles. This is what I think: Foles is no track star but has accomplished a whole hell of a lot more than Fields. This is not good news for Fields. Locker room tension helps no one. Foles, from what I know, was trying to help Fields and Fields, the track star, wouldn't listen to Foles. Not a good a look. Fields, it seems, has a lot of learning to do. It seems a guy like Foles could help Fields as far as being a better pocket passer but Fields, the track star, wouldn't listen to him and not only that created unnecessary toxicity and tension. Is Fields a moron? Well find out soon enough.

• Like Like x 1