1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Breakdown - And How It Effects Us

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wreck, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Wreck

Wreck Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    By looking at the stats, the score should be reversed. The only thing they did better than we did was turnovers and sacks. The proof is in the pudding. Ben's ankle was too much for him. They should have sat him in the 1st quarter and let Batch operate the game.

Total Yards
    Steelers: 389
    49r's: 287

Rushing:
    Steelers: 89
    49r's: 100

Passing:
    Steelers: 305
    49r's: 187

First Downs:
    Steelers: 20
    49r's: 17

Total Plays
    Steelers: 66
    49r's: 61

Third Down Efficiency
    Steelers: 57%
    49r's: 30%

Penalties:
    Steelers: 9 for 72 yds
    49r's: 7 for 49 yds

Fumbles:
    Steelers: 1
    49r's: 0

Turnovers:
    Steelers: 3

Sacks:
    Steelers: 3

Time of Possession:
    Steelers: 31:26
    49r's: 28:34

2. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I was just about to go to the box score for the stats breakdown. Thanks for this. Though the score did not reflect it, other than turnovers, the Steelers outplayed the 49ers last night. That's another reason why I think the Steelers are the scariest team come January.

3. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    It's like Tomlin said... the team is lacking splash plays. Splash plays can make the box score irrelevant. That's what happened with all the turnovers SF forced. All they did was get turnovers and then play conservatively, and within their ability while protecting the ball. They were sniffing end zone all night and only got in there twice. But they kept at it... and live novocaine... it worked.

Meanwhile, Ben is heaving the ball like he's in a javline throw. Even when they got splash plays... catch an runs by Miller, Brown and Wallace did happen (and got them out past the 50 when initially pinned inside their own 20)... they stalled right after... or Ben turned the ball over.

Ben should have sat down, and either Dixon or Batch should have played.

4. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    In hindsight, you're probably right, rukus - but - historically, who has been the hero when we win games like this? It's been Big Ben. Though I think he should have sat in the 4th quarter, I would go with history ANY DAY and don't blame Tomlin for leaving him in until the game was out of hand. He has done it so many times, there was no reason to believe he wouldn't come through again - until he fumbled on the sack, that is.

5. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Glad I was not in the 85% group who voted to play Ben. It was sad to watch. When the announcers start to talk about he should be out, you know the situation is bad.

6. Concussion

Concussion Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    This clearly shows that the game was lost due to the turnovers. Due to losing the ball, they had points or field position on us all night. The game plan worked, execution did not. The Ben leg humpers want to blame Arians without thought.

7. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Good point. He did pull it out, against Cleveland. I'm just concerned though... this game smacks of SBXV v. Pakers... 2011 game 1 v. Ravens... an ugly trend where Ben isn't taking care of the ball and the D doesn't have it to bail the team out, and Ben just keeps heaving. The gameplan should change after 2 INTS in the half... even if Ben stays in... rein him in a bit... focus him... the O-Line didn't help in 2nd half though...

Still I must concede the point: more often than not, Ben gets it done.

8. hi0

hi0 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Those stats are irrelevant, we had more yards because every time the 49ers got the ball it was across their 30 or or on our side. We didn't get the ball past the 20 more than once past the first drive. When you have a longer field you tend to get more yards.

9. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    Only if you move the ball hi0. Ask Cleveland fans. You're right that having good field position will lead to fewer yards, but what is it that gave them such good field position? Let me think for a minute...... ummmmmm ........ errrrrrrr..... it was the stinking TURNOVERS. From an offensive standpoint, the right plays were called and the Steelers had a chance to win - if not dominate - based on the play calling. They just blew it when it counted.