1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The bottom line...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by HueyWorley, Oct 3, 2021.

1. HueyWorley

HueyWorley Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    The Steelers are clearly the 4th best team in the division. The offense is unimaginative, lacks dynamic players, and is crippled by a below average offensive line. In a QB-dominated league, the Steelers have a veteran past his prime, who didn't allow the team to draft his replacement so there is no savior in waiting. The run game suffers due to the passing game not being feared, and vice versa. The defense simply loses all the key battles, and when it's a key third down for the opposing team, getting a first seems like a safe bet.

This team should certainly not be favored in any of the divisional games remaining. For the other games it doesn't seem that much better. The only team they might have a shot at beating is the Bears, depending on whether their young QB ever gets it going. The Broncos might not be amazing, but their QB Bridgewater will dink and dunk on this defense for a 75% completion rate and a win. The Lions still have Goff, who will pick apart our D for 300 passing yards and a win.

The only wild card still left is if Ben gets benched and Rudolph plays like an above-average NFL starter, or if one of the coordinators, offense or defense, gets fired and replaced. I can see the former potentially happening, but not the latter.

Fortunately, team turnarounds can happen quickly in the NFL, relative to other sports. It will require drafting a franchise QB in the next two years, then taking advantage of the QB rookie contract to build a contender. Luckily, the team tradition can still potentially attract free agents. That said, I don't foresee a playoff run for the next couple seasons.

Like a great song once said, "sad but true."

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That’s nice

• Like Like x 1
  3. BigBensPosse

BigBensPosse Active Member

Dec 28, 2015
    You are right. This team is trash. Day late a dollar short and always three steps behind. Ben should officially get on national TV and apologize for thinking he can still play when he has shown for a few years now it is over. Tomlin sucks. Canada sucks. Butler sucks. We are a few years away if everything goes right from being a legit football team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Anything can happen. Ravens could lose 4 straight.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I thought Denver might beat them at home, but they got blown out.

6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The bottom line is no more SBs with Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    And honestly the guy signing his paychecks I don't think even cares.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Tomlin will get a hard look at without Ben imo. Might take a few years.

9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I still don't know. Those two SB appearances may be enough for Rooney to think he can never let him go.

Like Chuck Noll.

10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Noll was "promoted".

11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    To what retirement?

12. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Director of something or other. It was his life's work. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They aren't winning anything with Ben, it can't get much worse than it is right now.

14. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Yeah the clock starts this year "without Ben", a comeback Ben. This team is a mess offensively & nobody on staff to find a solution. Tomlin's in trouble imo.

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You can predict the future? Maybe they find a better QB in the offseason.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    It's possible. I think we need more than a qb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I disagreed with ya, Duke, but only because I think the front office is in a pickle. We have a 3x (2 wins) super bowl QB, a 2x (1 win) coach, who have grown old and outdated. The Rooneys are showing old school loyalty, while being in a modern world. They need to learn to.let go of the past.

18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Well I don't mean doesn't care in the complete sense. But doesn't care enough to rock the boat and take a big risk. Basically what you said about letting go of the past. Which it doesn't seem they are capable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. lewisha

Dec 27, 2012
    Totally agree. God bless 'em, the Rooneys are old school to a fault. Have a good week, Duke. GO STEELERS!!!!

20. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Thanks same to you!

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. lewisha

Dec 27, 2012
    Sad to day, but totally agree with you. A good leader, but not a great strategist. Think there may be some hard years ahead!!!!! But at least we didn't lose to the Jets ( looking at you Vrabel, lol!)

• Like Like x 2
  22. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    A lot of the problems come back to the offensive line, they absolutely have to fix it next offseason or they are going nowhere.

Most of the other pieces are there. There are some good skill players on that offence, Najee, Friermuth, Claypool, Johnson & Juju. That is a good group, if Jujus pay demands aren’t crazy I’d keep him, he is a really good chain mover in the right setup and is a better player than he looks right now in this awful offence.

They will have some money to plug a few holes and presumably they will have a high draft pick for once. This down period doesn’t have to last long if they manage the situation well.

Quarterback is the huge question of course

It is a pity they did all these void year deals for Ben’s retirement tour, many of us were advocating taking their lumps in 2021 with a view towards rebounding strongly. They are taking their lumps anyway but have burned a tonne of future cap space and will have little to show for it

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    They need to draft a QB next year since they will likely have a top ten pick, there were a number of NFL scouts in South Bend on Saturday to see Ridder I would assume one was Pittsburgh.

24. BigBensPosse

BigBensPosse Active Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Unlikely. They are a good football team.

25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I probably overestimate the impact that Ben Roethlisberger can have running an Offense but I think he will be awfully hard to replace. I'm reminded of the later Noll years but with Popcorn instead of the Paul Brown disciple.

• Agree Agree x 1