1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The biggest underachiever on the Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Dec 12, 2017.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Are we doing biggest disappointment or biggest disappointment based on the size of the contract?

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'd agree with Tuitt. Dupree on the surface looks pretty bad, but according to some of the talk on SNR Bud is being asked to contain and force the QB up in the pocket for the inside pass rush. Bryant while in a shell of his former self is at least making plays out. Bryant while in a shell of his former self is at least making plays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    You know I have a funny story about this. I used to be lean and fast. I'm 6'3 and I was around 190 and probably ran lower 4's. I would race everyone and beat them. Then I put on weight, like 60 lbs. I raced my friends again and in my mind I was still this fast guy. Once I saw everyone running past me I was like wtf why am I in slow motion? Totally hit up a buffet in celebration of them beating me lol

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Because the run blocking isn't there like it was last year. Bell still looks dynamic when he has somewhere to go. He is still making plays as a receiver. He isn't running as well as last year, but they are having too many plays blown up before they get started. The line has been very good pass blocking, especially lately, but not as good as last year on the run.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Oh my lord it's been M. Bryant for sure, and there isn't even a close second.

Dupree be close on the list.

Someone said Tuitt, yeah Tuitt hasn't been his normal force of nature self, but I wonder how much that Pectoral injury has effected him, perhaps he been playing through pain?

For over achievers:
    Ju JU Smith Schuster- Remember he's a Rookie WR and tearing it up.
    Also Chris Hubbard and BJ Finney. We have dang good back up offensive linemen. Usually with most teams it's a bad bad drop off if you lose a starting offensive lineman.

6. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    No but there is one who came close, 99.8 yds/G -- Barry Sanders. Oh! And there is .. whats his name? -- Jim Brown 104.3 yds/G. But yeah not very easy. Leveon Bell averages 85.8 yds/G which is 8th all-time per Pro Football Reference.

7. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Good point. I was just throwing it out there about Bell. Having said that, I don't think they are running the ball as well as last year. Bell may be leading the league in rushing, however the Steelers are 23rd in rushing and an even worse 28th in yards per attempt http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing

If Bell who has 3.9 avg yards per carry matched his career average this year at 4.3 then he would have 111 more yards and an average of 93.6 yds/G.

Over the last 4 games, Bell has been held to under 20 carries. Over his career, the Steelers have never lost when he carries the ball 23 or more times. So, why is our best player not getting the ball? Especially with that history? Is it because the yards per carry are down and he is not getting first downs (underachieving?) or simply because Ben has the hot hand right now? I think he also has only 2 rushes for more than 20 yards this season.

8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    100% spot on and I actually forgot all about the contract......grrrr! I don't get it...in the beginning of the year he looked like he was unblockable and the way he stepped up without Cam last year you would swear he was gonna take off.. but nothng....Dupree is also in the conversation and to have them both on the same side they should be playing off each other and dominating....I think we need to seriously consider having Watt and Dupree switch sides or bench Dupree for Harrison...
    We're not gonna get it done this way....

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Bell has clearly lost a step. His per yard average would probably be a bit higher if he was bouncing runs like he used to be able to do. Now he definitely seems to be passing up his opportunities because he doesn't trust his speed. I don't know if last years injury is a factor or he may have bulked up some to be able to better handle the rigors and stay healthy looking for that contract. He is still effective but you can clearly see some of that burst is missing. I wonder what weight he is playing at compared to last year?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  10. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Bryant Tuitt Dupree Davis Burns have all really regressed this season. Shocking with that many starters struggling we are 11-2. Mike Mitchell blows too but I’ve always thought that since he came over. Hargrave started strong but is starting to become invisible as well. McDonald is L Green 2.0.

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Lamar Woodley?? wow what's up man! :lolol:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Not sure of the timing but would this coincide with the greater use of no-huddle/ Plus 3 of those 4 games were last minute or come from behind wins where passing to minimize the clock was needed. I for one, haven't noticed the loss of burst by Bell, but I don't see the holes from the o-line like I have in the past. Could be defenses keying on our run game and doing a better job clogging lanes.

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m thinking part of my wife’s disappointment is based on size?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ravens made it clear before the game their number one priority was stopping Bell. When 11 guys isolate on you, it’s hard to run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No :poopy: Einstein, if Heyward can get sacks why can't Tuitt do the same?

• Like Like x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    His contract is a factor, you give a guy a big contract you expect production :shrug:.

17. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Tuitt and duprees side needs some shake and bake!

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Bryant missed a whole season, so he has to knock off the rust.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Bryant all day long, why he's still a Steeler boggles my mind.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    This season the Steelers O-line has been better at pass blocking than run blocking, so that's probably a factor in Bell numbers being down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes and no....it's part the reason but then you look at Josh Gordon. Howmany years did he miss and he is doing well already. Shouldn't take Bryant a whole year ,it's now or never. I see you disagree on Bell losing a step...he clearly has. He's been deliberately avoiding going outside on many ,many occasions and we've seen him being caught and tripped up from behind way more often than he used to ....you could disagree but the proof is on tape....

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He's cheap, they need the big play threat to take the top off of the defense even if Bryant drops too many balls.

23. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Heywards a beast, that said I thought Tuitt had a higher ceiling and maybe still does. Could be the injuries to him and Dupree, but their side is lacking production honestly. Don't know the stats on O's preferring to attack one side or the other, but if they're focusing production on the right side then that explains lack of our guys production as well as their lack to make em respect their side.

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Josh Gordon caught 1 pass last week doesn't prove anything, so what if Bell lost a step he did have to overcome a injury from last season. Bell was never fast anyway :shrug:, he still gets over 100 yards from scrimmage a lot.

25. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    He has lost a step. Opposing D's are scheming a patience to patience approach as well during steeler week no doubt. Bell needs to just haul ass at times but seems to do his preferred systematic approach when it isn't needed or maybe he too knows he ain't got the burst to turn the corner... Don't know but he's doing his thing either way. The run blocking is a step back from las year as well so who knows.