1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Bigger Issue

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Sep 23, 2022.

1. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Not sure where you are going with this.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Since you quoted me, but left out a response I’m assuming this was directed towards me. You made the claim we needed to bring 6-7+players and Rex Ryan would never let a qb have all night to pass. Something to that effect. That simply isn’t case. I’m using what Ryan did against Brady and the pats as an example. When you blitz Brady 9 times out of 10 he’s beaten you before the snap. He’s identified where the pressure is coming from and where the open man will be. Ryan being a great defensive coach rushed 3-4 and dropped everybody else into coverage. Plastered the pats receivers and clogged throwing lanes which threw off Brady’s timing and still managed to get sacks. This idea that blitzing is some magic pill to cure all woes is a myth. You bring 6-7 people and lord forbid more there will be wide open receivers and then it’s off to the races. Hell we took a page out of Ryan’s playbook back in 2010(?). and did the same thing. Rushed 3-4 and plastered the pats receivers which screwed up their timing. We won the game fairly easily.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. bradshaw12

Sep 9, 2018
    You cherry picked one instance of how Ryan worked against one team, and at that, I am sure there were times in those games where he brought the house. And nothing in my post indicates that I think blitzing is a "magic pill". When what the defense is doing isn't working, it's time to try something else.

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I’m not cherry picking anything. I’m directly refuting your claim. Go watch the games. I also used the Steelers as an example. That’s two specific examples that directly contradict your claim. Sign up for 10yardtorrents and download it and watch to your hearts content. Brady eats blitzes alive. That’s what great quarterbacks do. There’s an old adage live by the blitz and die by the blitz. This isn’t the 1970’s anymore. Qb’s are getting rid of the ball in less than 3 seconds across the league. Even mediocre qb’s like we’ve seen from trubisky is getting rid of the ball in less than 3 seconds. The last I heard he was 9th in the league for quickest release. They’re getting rid of the ball before a defender can get home.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  5. bradshaw12

Sep 9, 2018
    Poor guy, you just don't understand what cherry picking means do ya.