1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The better Dobbs plays the more likely....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers-MT, Aug 11, 2018.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Their is NO way Dobbs is on the 53. Maybe the practice squad and their will be teams lined out the door to grab him for his services :lolol: And to think some team will trade for him?

Common now, trading Jones this season would just be plain stupid. Rudolph will sit at #3 and take over the #2 spot next season.

Reality folks, its called reality...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Look at these great stats for LJ his first 2 preseasons.http://www.nfl.com/player/landryjones/2539287/gamelogs?season=2013
    His best game was 16 for 35 and 189 yards 1 TD and 3 INT'S.

Now look at his 2nd.year 14 for 18 and 98 yards a 0 and 0.

Now lets look at Dobbs http://www.nfl.com/player/joshuadobbs/2558167/gamelogs?season=2017 His best game 16 for 23 212 yards 1 TD and 0 picks.

His 2nd season only 1 outing so far of 9 for 13 and 91 yards and 1 TD and 1 Int.

So Dobbs played better than LJ as a Rookie in the preseason in their first years and Dobbs has a game just as good as LJ his 2nd. year with 3 left to play . If Dobbs can put up a couple of multiple TD games this preseason I say he has a very good shot at making the 53.

In fact LJ only has one 2 TD game all his work combined . So how can he be a lock when he has never did above average at best ?

Dobbs will need some above average play in multiple games but he still has a chance to earn his spot .

• Like Like x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
  4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I think the Browns recently traded their 2016 1st round pick (15th overall) to Buffalo for a 7th round future pick.

5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Tomlin loves his veterans so I see LJ firmly planted as #2. Would like to see enough intangibles from Rudolph to be the #2 going into this season. Make it happen Mason.

6. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    This isn't my list I'm just the messenger!

9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  10. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Heres another ranking you can hate more than this one I posted:

11. Pittsburgh Steelers
    Even after drafting Mason Rudolph, Pittsburgh should be in the market for Ben Roethlisberger’s replacement. Rudolph doesn’t have a strong arm and isn’t the most accurate quarterback. He’s big, but that’s where the similarities to Roethlisberger end.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/05/nf...gles-packers-patriots-carson-wentz-nick-foles

11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Comparing the 2 lists is comical. Green Bay chimes in at #1 on one list, and #26 on the other. Im not knocking Landry. Im knocking the lists. Steelers backup QB situation is definitely in the top 10 IMO.

12. Diamond

May 26, 2012
  13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    From the article:
    He would get plucked, and throws like the one he made to Patterson on that long touchdown are the reason why. Dobbs still has tantalizing talent. That particular throw was perfect, and it will be the highlight most remember from Dobbs' performance.

I've got news for the writer of this article, he's correct in that Dobbs probably wouldn't make it to the PS, but that was far from being a perfect throw to Patterson. Patterson ran a post and the ball was actually behind him which resulted in an unbelievable adjustment by Patterson and one of the best catches you'll ever see in a pre-season game. Not diminishing the throw, I think Dobbs showed a strong arm there but it wasn't perfect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think on that throw, it was the only place to put it that the DB could't get. Would have to watch it again to be sure, it was a hell of a throw and fantastic catch.

15. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Based on what I saw, the "perfect" throw there would have been to the inside. I think Patterson had inside position on the DB and the ball was thrown behind him. He ended up adjusting and making a great catch but Dobbs should have led him inside the DB. Not taking anything away from Dobbs on the pass, he showed a lively arm on that but to characterize it as "perfect" like the writer of the article did was inaccurate. Ben's pass to Tone in the Super Bowl was "perfect", this pass, while maybe "darn good" was not "perfect".

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Are all you LJ supporters still ready to just let Dobb's go? IMO he has grown a lot in 1 season . If he can grow that much again in another season he could very well be starter capable .

Maybe the Team should IR Mason with a fantasy Injury or something? Cutting Dobb's or trying to get him on the practice squad is a mistake ..

I think Dobb's has earned starter Reps and deserves a chance with the first group this preseason. I have already seen enough to keep him he has the will and desire to get better and the physical tools to do so.

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Dobbs looked pretty good last night. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Last night Dobbs looked ok.

Statistically he did really well.

But on BOTH TDs James Washington bailed him out. Those were both underthrown and we're likely destined to be INTs. Washington bailed him out bigtime.

On the 50 yard throw to Washington, that should have been a 65 yard TD. Very much underthrown.

Where Dobbs does look good is getting out of the pocket with his legs. He has good mobility.

He has no trade value and I think we should put him on the PS. I just don't think he's ever done enough where another team is going to claim him.

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I said this in the game day thread. My thoughts on Dobbs making the team hinge mostly on how well Rudolph plays.
    In my opinion there’s no way that Dobbs has a shot at the number 2 QB spot. So he needs Rudolph to outplay Jones.
    If Rudolph can make Landry Jones expendable then Dobbs can fill the third quarterback roll. Otherwise Dobbs is probably gone.

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Dobbs should be outplaying the rookie at this point and he is.:cool:

21. BRICKS

BRICKS Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Yes I agree. I’m trying to figure out why there’s so much hate toward Dobbs.

22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm not seeing a lot of hate towards the kid but I am seeing that he can't throw to the sidelines at an NFL level. Without being able to develop that ability, he's one dimensional.

23. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Hate? I'm trying to figure out why there's all the adulation.

24. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    But in LJs last regular season game he threw for 3 TDs, so trying to compare pre season games isnt what counts in this league, regular season counts and right now LJ is 3-2 and Dobbs is 0-0, so keeping dobbs around untill he starts a regular season game with 2 QBs in front of him could take years.............

25. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I`m sorry, I don`t see that. Both Dobbs and Rudolph are way behind LJ in level of play.