1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The better Dobbs plays the more likely....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers-MT, Aug 11, 2018.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I did not know that. We have the rest of preseason to see how Dobbs has grown in in a year at the position.

I guess everyone else does also. There are about 96 QBs on active rosters in the league when all is said and done. If he plays well, I'd be hard pressed if a team wouldn't take a chance on him. 4th round pick money for a 3rd QB even isn't that bad.

Agreed with the statement made earlier that ultimately it would be best for Dobbs to land with another team. Kind of sucks losing the investment of a 4th round pick though.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Maybe the IR train runs him over before the season begins.:hehehe::cool:

3. BRICKS

BRICKS Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Dobbs reminds me of Charlie Batch with some speed. I liked him his rookie year and he has improved this year. IMO is the number 2 guy.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Hell no Landry went 4/4 and was unstoppable in training camp. I think this is finally the year Landry overtakes Ben and leads us to 7

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Only an IDJUIT team would admit to trading for LOLandry. Ole Mr. My 1st play when I get in any game is to throw a completion to a DB Jones.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He also threw a TD to JuJu in the Eagles game, Landry will be the #2 QB this season.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He reminds me of Dennis Dixon, and by the way dobbs had 1 pick but he had two others that should have been picked...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    A good comparison Now if I may. Rules have changes, Coaches approaches are changing, Play calling is Changing . The point is how good could DD be if the D could not hard hit him ? How good could DD be in a RPO system. How good could DD be if the play calling forced the D to actually account for the QB?

I look at these and I see a QB like DD being more effective in todays NFL. I also see RPO type QB'S as the future of the NFL not the exception. The Team if forward thimking at all should cut LJ and keep Dobbs .

IMO Dobbs will become a good NFL QB as the NFL catches up to his type of play . People need to accept that the day of the statue QB is all but gone and today's running QB'S are actually learning how to throw in College . They are actually learning how to read Defenses . Dobbs made a great leap in 1 year don't F up and keep LJ as he really has no potential future .

Will Dobbs keep growing ?Maybe ... What more can LJ do to Improve his game ? I see nothing as he has no hidden skills.

A player can be taught , but he can't be blessed with talent. Dobb's has talent far beyond LJ.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    The coaches dont agree with what fans are saying about LJ and I would think what they they say is what counts:

STEELERS

Mike Tomlin says Steelers QB Landry Jones has ‘continually improved’

“He has continually improved over his four years with us,” Tomlin told Steelers.com. “He’s answered the call and really answered the call in an above the line manner. He’s been given an opportunity to grow and show growth, and that growth has been consistent from our perspective. The opportunity that he had in Week 17 to deliver victory for us was a great experience for him, it was a great information gathering for us.

“We’re extremely conformable with the overall trajectory of his career, (and) we’re hopeful for what he’s able to provide for us moving forward.”

10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    ok maybe he has improved . He started at scrub level and now he is fair at best. If Coach T thinks LJ could ever be a starter in the NFL he needs to be fired . I am sure it's just Coach speak as the tape doesn't lie . If you push the pocket on LJ he has no ability to even think about extending a play. As I stated in today's NFL this is required in most cases.

Same point . LJ can't be coached what to do on an extended play as he has no chance to do so.

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    j/k lol

You seem to really be passionate about this qb battle, and i agree its an important position but you really seem down on Rudolph. what gives? just curious...

12. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Maybe Jones can develop into a starter or maybe not? No one knows for sure at this point. The goal at this point is that he can play competently enough to help the team win games if needed.

Having the ability to extend plays is an added bonus for QB's. The ability to extend plays is not required in most cases. The ability to extend plays puts QB's at risk too. QB's don't need to have the ability to extend plays to have success in today's NFL. The most successful QB's are pocket passers. A QB's job is to get the ball into the hands of play makers.

13. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    I'm not down on MR or Dobbs, the only QB battle right now is between MR and JD for the 3 spot on the depth chart coming out of camp, as far as calling Rudolph Bens replacement, only fans are saying he is because none of the coaches have even whispered he is the next franchise qb....

14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The best QB in the game is Rodgers he is an extend the play QB. The Eagles have 2 QB'S who both extend plays . Also look at Watson,Goff,Dak,Smith,Winston,Cam,,Wilson,Case,Blake and so on . All have the ability to move in the pocket very well,,, as stated only a few stand and deliver guys .

You are correct the ability to deliver the ball is job #1 and only 1 QB has the presnap ability and that is Brady.So if LJ was even close to Tom then with that's holy you keep LJ

15. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The ability to extend plays leaves QB's open to taking hits. Rodgers was hurt extending a play. Wentz was hurt extending a play. Sometimes I think the ability to extend plays hinders a QB's development.

Plenty of QB's have presnap ability. More than a few QB's are stand and deliver guys in the league. I believe 75% of the QB's in the league are pocket passers. Again the ability to extend plays isn't required to have success in the NFL today. Teams are looking for QB's that can pass the ball. The ability to run or extend plays isn't a prerequisite but an added bonus.

16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    and what coach is going to come out and say that during a TC battle? no coach ever has said they think one player will dominate. The 3 spot notwithstanding, you seem especially harsh on MR. Do you not want him to excel? I could ask the same for critics of TE and others. Just seems premature and you're posts are usually very informative and based on fact.

17. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    It's just all this talk about wanting MR to be the number two while he hasn't been seasoned yet, 4 preseason games dont make a rookie developed enough to be a number 2 that only happens if their isnt a veteran backup already in place and only if that rookie is a top draft pick that a team has a big contract investment in his future, like Ben has said he can trust LJ as his backup and wants him there for the future as long as he is playing..

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/08/ben-roethlisberger-on-landry-jones-hes-someone-that-i-trust/

18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    We've been hearing this crap about mobile quarterbacks forever. There were probably Steelers fans talking about Scott Campbell's mobility as a reason he needed to get his shot in the mid-80s. The rise of RPO plays is a current trend, but the key to those is the quarterback's ability to make a quick read and correctly choose whether to hand the ball off or drop back and throw. For all the talk of mobile quarterbacks being the future, we still end up with plenty of great ones like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

Of course, nobody is ever going to confuse Jones or Dobbs with either of those guys, but the point remains. It's great to have a mobile quarterback, but making correct reads quickly and throwing the ball accurately are far more important. I trust Jones more with the latter, especially accuracy. Dobbs had issues with accuracy in college and that doesn't usually improve at the pro level.

19. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    We drafted Dixon, an rpo guy who rushed for a thousand yards combined 11 TDs in 06 and 07 and in 07 senior year he had 20 TDs throwing and nine tds rushing, for some reason we couldnt develope him and that would be the same case with dobbs in my opinion

20. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I don't think you have to have a runner at QB but at a minimum you would like to have a guy who can at least move in the pocket. Landry shows no ability to do this. He basically plants his feet and if he is molested at all and has to move at all you pretty much know the play is dead. If Landry has to play we better hope our o-line is playing at an all world level or it could get ugly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Ben says that because he feels threatened by the young guys. If Ben gets knocked out of a game (or throws 5 picks) everyone knows what they have with Landry. With either of these young guys, it's the fear of the unknown. I think competition is a good thing, it already motivated Ben to improve his health and fitness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    If B.B. is out for more than 4 games then write the season off and prepare for 2019. The question is now who can hold the fort for four games? As much as I hate to admit, it’s LJ

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    yup lj is the man

24. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Dobbs looked like he couldn't see anything or anyone on the left side of the field. My prediction is Dobbs gets cut.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I thought all 3 QBs looked good. Jones played well and did his job. The sacks were not his fault, IMO. Dobbs made some good throws, with the exception of the INT. Rudolph did fine, IMO, for the first outing. I'd like to see both Dobbs and Rudolph play with the 1st string.... but that probably won't happen.

• Agree Agree x 1