1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Beginning of A New Generation Of Defense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, Sep 20, 2017.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Considering this team has been on the rise defensively since 2014 in addition to aggressivley push for a mulit arrary of covergae scheme while nabbing the right pass rushers, it seems that we are close to returning to form.

Granted, the Broncos and Ravens do have better defenses today but Pittsburgh's just may reign supreme tomorrow.

The national sports media has taken notice as well.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/20/p...m&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Much like Ryan Shazier, Bud Dupree, Artie Burns and now T.J. Watt, the sky is truly the limit.

Thoughts?

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  2. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    The potential is definitely there. Communication and a focus on fundamentals will tell the tale. If we can keep the same kind of pressure we have in the 1st two games against good QBs everything else can fall in line.

I like what I've seen so far but it's still a work in progress and I look forward to playing the Ratbirds for a good test of how good they can be.
    I'm thinking that game will come down to who had the better defense that day and, much as I hate 'em, they have a very good D.

I'm not overlooking the Bears though. This game has "Trap" written all over it. They've got good tight ends and decent running backs and their QB has a quick release.
    I know they're 0-2 but this early in the season you can't take that too seriously. If we don't prepare and have the mindset of do or die we'll lay a big ol egg all over the field.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  3. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I like what I've seen for the most part so far this year, but based on past history, I don't want to get too excited just yet. I love what I'm seeing from Watt, JuJu has had some good plays, but still needs time to show what he can do, but I'd like to see some better play in the backfield. Maybe I'm just still spoiled by Troy.

4. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I'll comment after we play a good QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I haven't read the article yet, but don't think we are quite to a truly dominant defense yet. Haden is just a stop gap and Burns/Davis have a ways to go.

6. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    The potential is there. As long as Shazier, Dupree, Tuitt, Heyward, Hargrave, and Watt stay healthy and maximize their potential together they could legitimately have the best front seven in the league in a year. Couple that with continued development from Burns and Davis the entire defense could be one of the best. I believe to make this Group SPECIAL though is we need one more playmaker at the Safety Position, and i dont believe he is on the Roster right now.
    I will say though im beginning to love this group, and feel a little more comfortable with the defense then the offense. Lets see when we play a good offensive team of course though, but I never thought id say that this season.

7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The Defense is ahead of the Offense's curve at this point. Once the Offense starts firing on all cylinders this D will be in prime form. That's what builds a Championship team. Balance. How many moons have we been complaining about the D? Oh, and the Joe Haden acquisition is a more then a stop gap.
    He locks down a side. Burns locks down a side. The stop gap is beside Davis. I like the direction of the Defense, and finally have some solid back ups that some are starters...2-0. The defense has played a major part in this... And I Like...

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We will need much better secondary play especially the safety position.

And as most posters suggested good health to the front seven. Attack and watch

the w's grow.

9. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I've been really impressed. We've all been fans for a long time and saw the quick decline of the defense following our 2010 campaign, so it's great to see this.

At the same time, we've put SO many assets into the defense that we sure as heck better we good. lol

I sort of came into the season with high expectations for our ends and linebackers but I didn't expect the secondary to be as decent as it is. Since prime Troy, we've had a struggle in the secondary. Although I don't think Haden is our longterm answer (could be wrong), he looks like just enough of a staple to keep them looking competent and keep us in games against top-tier QBs.

10. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The defense is better but I'm not sold on them after facing a rookie and a back up, and a rookie that could have ended up winning if AB wasn't on the roster. Remember how everyone was saying how well the D played in the last 6 weeks of the season last year but we somehow forgot the Ravens game and we saw what Brady did to the "great" defense we were showing. I'm not sure Artie Burns can cover man to man without getting a holding or PI call and Sean Davis isn't progressing at all, but I hold out hope it will change, this week is going to be the same, a perineal back up QB with few weapons around him, if the offense doesn't turn the ball over the defense shouldn't give up more than 250 yards of offense and maybe 17 points at most. Before anyone brings up how close they came to beating the Falcons, go watch the SB over and watch the GB game, the Falcons don't have a good defense, they force teams to be one dimensional by scoring, if you can stay even with them you have a chance, GB almost came back when down by 3 scores.

11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Fantastic front 7 IF it can stay healthy but secondary especially the safeties is a big weakness. If we can at least pressure good qbs half the time I would be happy, even if we give up 25+ points. Like it or not but our offense gotta score

12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree, though would add that even when Troy was at his prime, I think the secondary was still a concern. We had a long run of under-developed CBs, and the good ones didn't tend to hang around for too long.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    wilcox, chickillo, alualu, walton, dirty red, sutton, allen all these guys are nice additions. the arrow is pointing up if they keep this core together and some of these guys play to their full potential for us. they all seem hungry which is good for us. :cool: