1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The BEER thread.

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Sep 4, 2012.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Firestone Walker Parabola is hitting the shelves here. YABBAS(yet another bourbon barrel aged stout)

2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If it ain't youngs double chocolate stout I'm not interested

3. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Sounds like you need to find a new place to buy beer.

4. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    That stuff is tasty, but personally nothing compares to a bourbon barrel aged stout.

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Haven't had that in a while, but it's yummy.

I've not heard of that, but I'll stop by and see if it's in. Though, the BBASs kick my A.

I would if there were more competition in this area. There are a couple nice clerks there, but the managers have been jerks on more than one occasion.

6. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Shipping might be painful, but here's a list of online beer/wine sellers.

http://www.ratebeer.com/MailOrder.asp

/edit
    I know that liquorama carries some interesting stuff and occasionally has free shipping.

7. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Sweet. Thanks, I'll have to check it out.

8. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Delaware recently passed a law saying liquor stores can now fill growlers! Woo hoo!!

:drinks:

9. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Fill them with what? Serious question.

10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

beer

11. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Is it common for liquor stores to have beer on tap? I'm not familiar with that.

12. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

They just legalized growler fills in Georgia about 18 months ago and since then the practice has exploded. You can get growlers filled at some gas stations, liquor stores, Whole Foods, and breweries. There are even stores dedicated to growlers. The best by far is aptly named The Beer Growler and they carry a rotating selection of 40 taps. In maryland you could get them filled at some bars and breweries. Although it's my understanding that the law had been recently changed and bars are no longer filling growlers. To me it's most beneficial to small micro breweries that don't have a bottling line. If you want the equivalent of a 6 or 12 pack of a specific beer just swing by the brewery and grab a growler or two. If they're properly filled they stay fresh for a surprisingly long time. Burley Oak brewing in Maryland is a perfect example.

13. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I have a few growlers that I use for some of my various homebrew stuff, and I've not had a growler last long enough to find out if it's contents wouldn't keep. I have a case of Grolsch bottles, which are like mini-growlers, and are great for things that don't require long term conditioning.

Liquor stores don't even sell beer here, so just that concept is foreign to me. We do have small scale farm wineries that refill growlers, but it's not common. In fact, I only know of a couple. One is a couple miles from my house coincidentally. It would be awesome to be able to go to a bar and have a growler filled, since there are a lot of times where something good I'm looking for isn't available in stores, but is available on draft at a certain bar.

Honestly though, it sounds like we're living in different countries.

14. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

HAHA! I totally understand that statement.

15. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Liquor stores in Delaware sell all booze - beer, wine and spirits. Up until they passed this law, the only places you could get growlers filled were brew pubs.

16. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
  17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
  18. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Star anise and licorice root, eh? Should be interesting. If I don't like it, at least the bottle will make a nice keepsake.

19. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Tried a Midas Touch, by Dofish Head tonight. Interesting. Not my typical cup of tea, but not bad. It grew on me.

[​IMG]

20. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Had a few Weyerbacher Merry Monks the other night. Very tasty. If you like Victory Golden Monkey, I recommend trying if you can find it.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not much of a beer drinker anymore, choice of drink is rum now, love rum but when I do drink beer, I drink Dos Equis. :hehehe:

I have to say, I think it's really good, it's the only beer in my fridge, I've only had the Lager one so far but want to try their Amber.

May have to bring my palate out of retirement for beer, some tasty sounding choices being talked about in this thread.

22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

If your memories of beer are from what was available 15-20 years ago(even 10) things have changed drastically for the better. These days you can find a beer that fits the palate of pretty much anyone out there. The micro breweries are really pushing the envelope when it comes to trying new things and many are outstanding. If you've got a local store with a good craft beer selection talk to their beer guy and have him help you put together a mix and match 6 pack of various styles.

On a related note Pumking is back! Southern Tier's Pumking is the pumpkin ale that towers over above all other pumpkin ales. Graham cracker, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin oh my

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Didn't know they'd even do that for you, I'll have to try that.

I think I have had Sam Adams Pumpkin, (pretty sure it was them), how does that compare to Southern Tier?

24. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Not even close. :D

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol: Think I am out of luck then, don't think I've seen Southern Tier.