1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The BEER thread.

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Sep 4, 2012.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Sounds good. I imagine a warm, stale, skunky Milwaukee's Best Light would be better about now.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I wouldn't go that far.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    You're right, I went too far. In my defense, I posted that over an hour ago right during the stink of it. :D

4. Cali Steel

Cali Steel

Jan 4, 2012
    Great thread! Yinz have mentioned some great beers. I'm living in N San Diego County and this place has so many micro brewerys is almost impossible to keep up. But I try. It's a blur of wonder. We are living a beer renaissance.
    Stone brewery is absolutely amazing, great food, special tastings of experimental and cask aged beers. Pizza port brewing co. Is has so many great beers. Breakwater brewing company is really poised to expand soon.I like IPA's with less hoppy and more of a citrius.
    There are so many that I don't have any regular beers I drink, I drink the one I never had. It's not uncommon to go into a bar out here and have 40 tap handles of all craft beer. I'll try to post some,pics.

5. Cali Steel

Cali Steel

Jan 4, 2012
    Files are too big to post pics here. I'll see what I can do.

6. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Sounds great. Well said about the beer renaissance. So true.

Yeah, the best thing to do is to upload them to a free photo hosting service like Photobucket or Flickr etc..., then embed them here with the IMG bbcode.

7. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    A very generous friend gifted me with some choice beers.

So, I gave in to temptation and cracked my first one open tonight. Founders Double Chocolate Coffee Oatmeal Stout.

Wow. This stuff is quite literally a meal in a glass. Very bold, and quite complex. Every sip, I picked up on a different note. I swear I even tasted English toffee. So good.

About halfway through the glass, I had the strong urge to drop a scoop of vanilla ice cream right into the glass. A float if you will. And I may yet do that the next time (no ice cream available tonight). If I had one critique of this beer, it's that I don't think I could drink more than 1, 2 at most before needing to switch to something a little lighter. It's very heavy on the palette. But oh so good.

8. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I love oatmeal souts. I know the place I go to sells Founders, I'l have to give it a try.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    FBS is probably one of the thickest stouts I can remember drinking. Drinking it is almost an event. I was surprised at the medley of rich flavors that came out as it warmed up a little, but a scoop of espresso ice cream would probably be quite fantastic in it. :guiness:

10. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Picked up a Sam Adams Double Bock tonight. I don't know...I was just curious, as I've never tried their 'big bottle' limited releases. It's quite a malty brew. Lots of bite and definitely a sipper. Not something I'll likely get again, but I'm glad I satisfied my curiosity. :smiley1:

[​IMG]

11. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Finally got to try that Guinness Foreign Extra Stout...
    I thought I had died and went to heaven... THAT is what a beer should be! :thumbs_up: :applaud: :bowdown:
    I took the gf out for her b-day over the weekend, and we went to a bar-n-grille called "The Winking Lizard Tavern".
    I`m not sure if they are a national chain, but there are several of them statewide, in Ohio.
    I HIGHLY recommend!
    The food was OUTSTANDING, and at average pub prices. They sell their own award winning bbq sauce, which is better than Sweet Baby Ray`s, in my opinion, and as good as the milder ones from Quaker Steak and Lube. Not very hot, but very good, from the "sweet and spicy", variety.
    They have over a hundred craft brews available bottled, and roughly a dozen or so on tap, that they rotate monthly.
    I was hoping I could try some of those Founder`s stouts, but they didn`t have them, so I started with a plain Founder`s Porter, which was quite good, then I got to try one of the Imperial Stouts, but not the "Creme Brulee" one. It was VERY good, but didn`t compare to that Guinness. I saved that for last, guessing it would be the best available, based on what I read here.
    I wasn`t disappointed, AT ALL!!! That is one Helluva beer!
    Still looking forward to trying some of the Founder`s stouts, and Bourbon Barrel aged brews, in the future... But those quenched my thirst for some tasty beer, for a minute.
    Thanx for the inspiration, to try some more flavorful brews! :hello:
    I also, got lucky, that my Mom gave me a sampler 12 pack from Sam Adams tonight, as a thank you, for taking my girl`s son over to mow her lawn all summer.
    Don`t remember exactly which varieties are in it off the top of my head, but I just had one called "Hazel Brown", that was a VERY good ale. (I`m a sucker for Hazelnut flavor, even if it`s in my coffee creamer :shrug: )
    I know the traditional Adams Lager is in there, And one of their pumpkin flavored ones, but I don`t think it has the "Oktoberfest", may have the "Winter" one...
    Looking forward to sampling those during the rest of the week. ;-)
    See yinz when the board returns. (PLEEEEAAASSSEEE make it fast, Towel :praying: )
    GO STEELERS!!! :herewego:

12. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    That's awesome, Bleed. Isn't that Foreign Extra so damn good? What did ya think of those Sam Adams? The Octoberfest is a winner.

Speaking of the Foreign Extra, I stopped into the local shop I usually get it from tonight. I've been asking for the last couple weeks when they were going to get more in, and tonight I ran into the owner and he said 'never'. I thought he was joking, but he was serious. He said he'd been putting out what was left of the last few cases and that the distributor had discontinued it in this area because it didn't sell well enough. When he finished I said 'so...next week or.....?' He just rolled his eyes and walked away. :hehehe: Serious bummer though, because that's become one of my favorite beers.

I'm going to have to find a reasonable clone recipe and see if I can't brew up something similar.

13. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow, Can`t believe that Foriegn Extra wasn`t selling well there. It`s still on the shelves of drive-thru`s around here.
    The Sam Adam`s didn`t have anything that I liked better than the Hazel Brown, and it DID have the Oktoberfest. I do still like that one.
    None of the others overly impressed me, but they were decent.
    I picked up a 6 pack of Leinenkugle`s(sp?), Vanilla Porter, over the weekend, and it was very good. I forget the exact name, something wintery, Like "Snowdrift Vanilla", or sumthin, but it was quite tasty.
    Good luck on finding a replacement for the Foriegn Extra Stout Guinness... Having tasted it, I can`t imagine living without it! ;)

14. punkneater

punkneater Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Been drinking a lot of Heiney lately.
    Tis the Season!

15. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Having a beer exchange at work tomorrow. I'll be coming home with 24 different beers.

:herewego:

16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    For those that have access to Founders' beers their Backwoods Bastard is on shelves now(bourbon barrel aged scotch ale).

17. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Looking forward to trying some of the beers I got in our exchange.

Great Lakes Elliot Ness (Had it)
    Flying Dog Old Scratch
    Flying Fish Abbey Dubbel (Had it)
    Leffe Blonde
    Rogue Hazelnut Brown
    Long Trail Harvest
    Rogue Dead Guy Ale
    Starr Hill Northern Lights
    Heavy Seas Loose Cannon Hop3 (Had it)
    Evolution Lot #3 (Had it)
    Elysian
    Founders Centennial IPA
    Unita Hop Notch
    Evil Eye
    Great Divide Titan IPA (Had it)
    Blue Point Burnt Lager
    Otter Creek Hop Session
    RJ Rockers Son of a Peach
    Smuttynose Robust
    Harpoon Chocolate Stout
    Southern Tier 2x Milk Stout
    Allagash White (Had it)
    Abita Christmas
    21st Amendment Fireside Chat

18. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    :gasp::swoon: That sounds so good... (Time to go threaten one of my distributors. :))

19. punkneater

Dec 13, 2011
    Has anybody tried Guinness Black Lager? I'm Curious. It sounds good.

20. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Yuck.

21. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, I'm afraid it's not very good. I'm mean...you won't dump it out, but it's disappointing and not what you'd expect from the Guinness label.

22. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Sounds like a successful exchange!:applaud:
    I`ve had the Elliott Ness(Pretty good), the Rogue Dead Guy Ale(Ehhh, had better), The Rogue Hazelnut Brown(...LOVED it, but I`m a sucker for Hazelnut flavor)...
    I`m finding that I`m a fan of the stouts, have yet to get my hands on a chocolate, or oatmeal flavored one, but I`m keeping my eye out for them.

Let us know, if any of the others on your list, turns out to be a "gotta try, Damn it`s good"...

23. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    :this!:

It's drinkable, but I'm shocked Guinness even released it as it's nowhere near as good as what you'd expect from them. As far as lagers go, it's average at best. Nice color, but that's about it.

24. punkneater

Dec 13, 2011
    Thanks. I'm looking for a good Lager. Something different. I'm a Heineken drinker. Any recomendations?

25. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout is yummy!!! I highly recommend it if you can find it.