1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The BEER thread.

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Sep 4, 2012.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I've seen that before and it made me pause. Sam Adams makes a Rauchbier that is a very similar taste experience for me. I imagine it's similar to drinking beer after it's been filtered through an ashtray.

2. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Without the beer taste...

3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Tried a new beer last night, Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout. - outstanding

I left off Southern Tier Brewing. Their Creme Brulee Stout and Pumking are just hitting the shelves, both are very good.

4. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I just got home from work, and my loving wife had a surprise for me. (Not the beer, I already had that. The pint glasses) I knew there was a reason I married her. :D

[​IMG]

5. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Your one lucky man D!!!!!!!

6. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Thank you. I am feeling rather fortunate lately. Of course, having one of the best women I could hope for as my better half sure helps.

7. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Thank you. I am feeling rather fortunate lately. Of course, having one of the best women I could hope for as my better half sure helps.[/quote:x4tucvl0]

There is a reason we call them that!! As you know.

8. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    They're beautiful. :-D That was thoughtful of the Mrs.

9. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Ewwww.

Now and then we all try something new that ends up being a horrible experience. My last 2 were awful. One was an amber ale called Fat Tire. I had heard good things about it. I sincerely hope I just got a bad batch. A more correct name for the beer would have been "Burnt Tire," because that's almost exactly what it tasted like. It had gorgeous color. But there was a really harsh flavor infused in the beer akin to burnt rubber. Yes, it was an ale, and I'm not always partial to them. But this wasn't a question of too much hops. It was an incredibly rancid or chemical taste. I can't even say it was skunked. I've tasted skunked beers before, and those tasted BETTER. But I'll allow it may have been a bad batch, or maybe the tap lines were dirty, whatever. I'll try it again some day and hopefully my first impression will turn out to be wrong.

Not 1 day later, I ordered an Imperial Stout... the brewery name escapes me now. I'm fairly certain a glass of Pennzoil would have been a delight after tasting that. Most stouts I enjoy. Not sure what the issue was here.

But then you get nice surprises sometimes too. Sam Adams had a variety case last year I bought for the hell of it. One of the sixes they had there was a "Scotch Ale." I was skeptical, but it ended up being my favorite beer in the case.

10. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Just shows she pays attention. I have the standard pilsner glasses here, and some good, heavy glass mugs. But while we were out at a pub that served Guinness on tap by the pint (Guinness glasses of course) I made an off-hand remark that I needed a few of those pint glasses. It was really just small talk. But she went and got them for me just the same.

Hmmmm.... what's she buttering me up for? :hmmm:

11. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Keep your guard up, Ray!!! ( Wish I had an emoticon, with a smiley face, with boxing gloves up, in front of his face, to defend the jab, he knows is coming...).. Hahaha...
    Sounds like you have a damn good woman. Congratulations... they are few and far between...
    But even the best of `em, always seem to be setting you up for something, when they pamper you just a little bit more than normal...
    Anyhow, what I was wondering, is if any of yinz locals have tried the other varities of Yuengling, that I didn`t know existed, before reading an article in my local paper. ?
    Yuengling is sponsoring an afternoon of local bands playing at a popular outdoor venue around here, and they mentioned that a Yuengling "Oktoberfest" brew, and a Yuengling "Porter", and another type of Yuengling beer, whose type/flavor escapes me now, would be available.
    I`m thinking maybe a "stout"?,
    I thought they just made the "Traditional", "Lite", and "Black n Tan"...
    I will definitely try to track down some of their "Oktoberfest", and maybe try a couple others...
    Any suggestions on what would be the best to try?
    I know they are not a "microbrew", or "craft beer", but they are still rare to find around here...
    Other than the 3 types I previously mentioned, that I thought were the extent of their offerings.

12. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, their Porter's not bad. I don't believe they make a stout, though.

13. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  14. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Their Oktoberfest is pleasant. Nothing to get excited over, but to my taste, better than their lager. The porter is decent. Their Black and Tan is pretty good. I don't care much for their lager light or their "Premium." Some of the old-timers around here swear by Lord Chesterfield's Ale... but these are the same guys who drink Gennesee Light like it's the best stuff on Earth, so I'll take that with a grain of salt until I try it myself.

15. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Great thread! Ray you buy directly from the distributor? Never heard of that before; wonder if all do that?

I'm a huge fan of the German pils but haven't found anything worthy yet stateside to drink (the imported stuff doesn't hold a candle to the real deal). Supposedly August Schell brewery in MN has a very good German-style pils, but after a trip back to the midwest this summer and having a chance to try it, I really didn't care for it. Much too aggressive to be considered among the German powerhouses. I've also heard good things about the Victory Pils (PA) and the Trumer Pils (CA), but neither are available here (MT). Probably the best American-brewed pils I've had is the Rogue organic Good Chit Pils. Oh, and Beck's is now brewed in St. Louis for the American market :roll: .

Probably my favorite brew is the Bayern brewery Amber (Missoula, MT). They also brew a Pils (haven't tried yet, not readily available in this market only 3 hours away) and a good Oktoberfest. They have a good lighter ale called Dancing Trout (some proceeds help fund MT trout streams conservation).

We have a few places in town that have the Arrogant Bastard on draught, and you better beleive that's what I order up whenever I head to those places! CVS pharmacy carries the AB 1.5l bottles for $3.99 so every now and again I stock up on a few for "special" weekends (like the draft, etc).

We have two local breweries (well, three) that brew some nice stuff and are still small/new enough that they don't bottle. I love Montana, probably the best ratio of breweries per capita of any state out there!

So to recap, my fav is the Bayern Amber, and I'm always open to suiggestions for a good German pils.

:drinks:

16. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I guess I should explain as you're not from PA. PA has really messed up alcohol laws. Outdated, and out of step. You can only buy beer for home consumption 2 ways in most of the state: by the 6-pack (or quart) from stores/pubs/restaurants licensed to sell 6-packs (where they gouge you big time), or by the case/keg from "distributors." Distributors are basically beer warehouses for lack of a better term. They cannot sell by anything less than a case or quarter barrel / pony keg.

So I can pick up a 6-pack quick, and even cheap swill might cost me $12-15 per 6... or I can buy a case at a distributor which is more cost effective (my local distributor sells Guinness for $30 a case for example. The pizza shop up the road wants $14 a 6 for the same beer).

Of course, these distributors aren't allowed to sell on Sunday. But the little 6 pack shops are. Go figure.

And if you want anything harder, you have to go to a State controlled Liquor Store.

Rogue Breweries has a good reputation from what I've read, but I haven't come across any of their stuff yet. I really should just force myself to drink a lot of IPAs until I acquire the taste for absurd amounts of hops.

17. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    I guess I should explain as you're not from PA. PA has really messed up alcohol laws. Outdated, and out of step. You can only buy beer for home consumption 2 ways in most of the state: by the 6-pack (or quart) from stores/pubs/restaurants licensed to sell 6-packs (where they gouge you big time), or by the case/keg from "distributors." Distributors are basically beer warehouses for lack of a better term. They cannot sell by anything less than a case or quarter barrel / pony keg.

So I can pick up a 6-pack quick, and even cheap swill might cost me $12-15 per 6... or I can buy a case at a distributor which is more cost effective (my local distributor sells Guinness for $30 a case for example. The pizza shop up the road wants $14 a 6 for the same beer).

Of course, these distributors aren't allowed to sell on Sunday. But the little 6 pack shops are. Go figure.

And if you want anything harder, you have to go to a State controlled Liquor Store.

Rogue Breweries has a good reputation from what I've read, but I haven't come across any of their stuff yet. I really should just force myself to drink a lot of IPAs until I acquire the taste for absurd amounts of hops.[/quote:1uxqpjfu]

Pa has relaxed that law some.They can now sell on Sunday for a set number of hours.I believe is 4 not 100% on that.

As for the 6 pack stores you neglected to mention you can only take 2 six packs out at a time.

Pa is SOOO far behind!! This law is still on the books here.....Any motorist driving along a country road at night must stop every mile and send up a rocket signal, wait 10 minutes for the road to be cleared of livestock, and continue.

Yinz all know what a flair gun and flairs cost today???

18. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Went out for an early dinner and had a couple of new beers.

Lost Abbey Angel's Share- Old Ale aged in bourbon barrels :dancing:

Terrapin Brewing Company Barrel Aged Wake n Bake - Coffee oatmeal stout aged in bourbon barrels :rawk:

19. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    So, this is statewide not township/county specific? Out of curiousity, what are the laws for liquor (package) stores as far as when and how much you can buy?

Sounds reeeeally good. I went to the Beer store and got some goodies earlier. I'll upload a pic in a few minutes.

20. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011

Dont know what you are asking me....Beer distributers and liquior stores can be open on Sundays.

21. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    First new brew out of the box tonight was Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide Brewing Co. I've had the Yeti Imperial Stout before, but not this one. It's good. Rich, thick, complex, good mouthfeel. I could go on. Lots of different flavors- vanilla, cocoa, oak, with a bit of alcohol bite at the end. It's pretty strong at 9.5 ABV. Tasty. :guiness:

[​IMG]

22. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    That's basically what I was asking. Just wondering if liquor stores had the same guidelines.

23. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011

Sorry TTF not sure...

24. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

I love the Choc Yeti!

25. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    No problem. We'll see what Ray says.
    Yeah, it's a fine brew.

My second new beer out of the box is a Guinness. Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. I've wanted to try it, but they haven't had it in stock. They did today.

[​IMG]

Simply delicious. First, it smells great. It's like a normal pub Guinness, but with a little more complexity and some balls. Look at the frickin' head on that. It lasted for at least four minutes. Without telling her what it was, I gave a sip to my wife and she said 'wow, that's the best Guinness I've ever had. Why is that so good?' :lolol:

I highly recommend.