1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The BEER thread.

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Sep 4, 2012.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

If the distribution here is any indication you shouldn't have a problem. In 2011 my go to store got a couple bottles, today they got 3 cases. A few of the larger corp stores got 6-8 cases or more. There are also stores that don't get deliveries today so they won't see it until next week.

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Same here. There were probably a couple dozen people lined up outside my local place before it opened this morning, and the clerk told me they still had plenty.

3. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

I've been going to this one neighborhood store for so long I know what day each distributor delivers on. For example Savannah Distributing delivers to this store at 6:45am on fridays. The store opens at 7am so there I was at 7am getting a cup of coffee and a couple bottles of CBS.

4. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Only one store in my area - and I'm bring very generous with that term (think 45 minute drive) - had any for sale today that I knew of. And they had a single case.

But again, distribution is sketchy here. It can easily turn up at other places in the next few weeks. Hell, KBS didn't hit my area until almost 2 weeks after it went out.And I got BCBS today a full week after it was released. They just got it this morning.

And now my watch begins. ;)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  5. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Score!

A friend just told me he grabbed an extra bottle of CBS for me when he found some. It'll be in my hands tomorrow. I'll still be on the lookout for more, but at least I'll get to try it.

Today was a good day.

6. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Friday and Saturday ended up being productive for me. Might not be everyone's taste, and easier to find for some. But this take will work great for me. Gonna be a good Christmas, Tater.

Beer 1.jpg

7. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Nice haul. I tried that Hardywood several years ago and loved it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I won't drink during a Patriots game. Recipe for disaster. ;) (at least until the game is way out of hand)

So I'm getting it out of my system tonight. That, and celebrating the end of a 15 day work week (38 out of 40 days).

Finally got to try Old Rasputin. 4 years ago, this would have been WAY too hoppy for me and I would've hated it. I could do with a tad less hoppiness, but it's actually very nice.

Really tempted to crack open the Hardywood or CBS. But they're for the holidays. Then again, I DO have 2 bottles of BCBS....

9. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Even I like Old Rasp, and I'm not a hophead. Here, the holidays is six weeks long give or take. Hey, it's the holidays...crack open that CBS. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

I opened a bottle of CBS for the ravens game. As per the norm it turned it didn’t stop there making Monday a little rough.

If you liked Old Rasputin try the bourbon barrel aged old Rasputin. It’s $$$, but well worth it in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I just saw this thread, 5 years after it started.

Love it.

Meanwhile, let me start something. Some friendly beer trash talk.

I live in Vermont. In Vermont, we have the best craft beer in the world. You can look this up.

Heady Topper.

Sip of Sunshine.

Anything from Hill Farmstead.

and so much more. It's an embarrassment, really. Too many beers, too little time.

If you don't know this, then it means that you haven't been here to try it. I'm not talking about passe brews like Magic Hat that you can get nationally. No one around here drinks that anymore.

Like I said, look it up. I'd prefer it if you would come up here so I could serve you myself. And, if you do, I will.

• Like Like x 2
  12. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

We should work out a trade. We’ve got several great breweries here in ga now . Always looking for alchemist, Hill farmstead beers.

Checkout creature comforts brewing
    Scofflaw brewing
    Orpheus brewing
    To name a few

13. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    using the beer finder on Ommegang's website, I found a little hole in the wall shop not far from me that had their 20th Anniversary Ale. It's a bourbon barrel aged Belgian strong dark ale.

And sure enough, they had it. What I did not expect, and was elated to find was the bottle of Bourbon County Brand Barleywine!

As to relatively local breweries to be proud of, I'll throw Weyerbacher and Troegs out there to represent PA. Honorable mention to Yard's, Rusty Rail, and Fegley's Brewworks. Leaving out a few very respectable but larger breweries.

14. jimmyallen45

Jan 1, 2012

Hill Farmstead is really only found in restaurants. Otherwise you have to go out to the brewery which is far from me.

Much closer to me, really only footsteps away, is a little gem of a brewery known as Fiddlehead. Their major brands are Mastermind, a fruity blend, and Second Fiddle, a double IPA. Both get Outstanding ratings on Beer Advocate.

As you can see from the ratings HERE
    we really have an embarrassment of beer riches in our little state. We have 25 of Beer Advocate's 200 top rated beers.

15. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    For me, I tasted some cheap beer at college parties and I didn't like it very much. Instead, I drank other drinks opposite of beer. Now, considering that I'm not 21 yet, I obviously know that it's illegal and the risk for getting an underage while at college isn't worth it. So, I decided to quit drinking at parties until next year.

So, Gatorade and Powerade will do for now...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  16. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I didn't "like" beer when I was your age. Any beer. (Before my intro to Guinness, and there wasn't any craft beer really. Cheap beer was all I knew).

The other issue as that many of us have a massive sweet tooth in early adulthood and can't appreciate some bitter flavors yet. Hell, some people never do. But the sweet tooth also causes you to not be able to detect nor appreciate lower levels of sweetness. Everything is so overloaded in sugar anymore.

So take it from a not quite geezer. Both to appreciate beer eventually, and to save your health as you get older: GET OFF SUGAR! I swear, quitting sugar is harder than quitting smoking. And it's probably more important to your long term health. Sure, at your age you can get away with high levels of sugar and calories. But it's taking its toll on you just the same. There's nothing wrong with some sugar once in a while. But cut back now,and thank me in 20 years.

That means limiting sodas, sweet teas, and yes, gatorade/powerade. Reducing the sugar you put in your coffee/tea (ideally, zero). Drink mostly water if you can. And candy isn't a meal. ;)

And once you're of age, try a wide variety of beers. People who say they don't like beer just haven't found their style/brand yet. :)

17. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    I drink water all the time. I quit drinking soda about a year ago and rarely drink fruit juices. I don't drink milk as often, but I do enjoy a good cup of coffee once in awhile. For my coffee, I only use creamer. I do drink Gatorade and/or Powerade, but I'll probably stick to the ones with less sugar and lower calories. It's my only go to if there's no water available because soda doesn't quench my thirst like water does for me.

And for the beer, I'll probably find it someday.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  18. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I was planning to crack this open tonight to celebrate being Kings in the North, but... maybe I can think of a metaphor for today to keep it applicable. Does Ommegang make a What's dead can never die brew?

IMG_20180114_165625710.jpg

19. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Be a few suds going down tonight to ease the pain. Ugh.

20. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    How long a have you been sitting on that?!

As to your question, not yet. But I'll l go for it.

21. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    :lolol:

A while. :whistley:

22. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Had a Barrel Aged Narwhal tonight. Almost changed my life.

The Michter's US 1 American whiskey stole its thunder.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Holy moly, like yourself, I just found this. This might just get me through the off season.

Some day I may take you up on the beer invite. I once flew from Pittsburgh, to Chicago, to San Francisco, to Anchorage, to Kodak Island just to eat crab legs. Going to Vermont for beer is all in a good afternoon. :smiley1: :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  24. jimmyallen45

Jan 1, 2012

Always welcome, and there are more Steelers fans here than you would think (especially in southern Vermont, where the Rooneys once owned a dog track and are still fondly remembered by the locals).

And was just coming here to post this- like I said, best beer in the world:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...est-brewery-world-fourth-year-row/1084423001/

25. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    So how is everyone's weekend starting?

Stout aged in Islay scotch barrels (specifically Ardbeg). Very interesting. Rich, roasty stout. Coffee and black strap molasses. With a hint of smoke and peat. 20180602_004730.jpg