1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The BEER thread.

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Sep 4, 2012.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  2. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I actually go through that area once in a while when we visit family in Rhode Island. The coffee stout looks good. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30922/94846/

3. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
  4. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
  5. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  6. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I love the video on the Kickstarter page. It's not quite as funny as Dollar Shave Club, but it is entertaining.

Not being from the Growler community, what kind of volume would 2 Growlers be?

7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    64 ounces or 128 ounces

The growlers in the video are 64 oz.

8. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Beat me to it.

I have both sizes, though I've always considered the 2 liter ones as growlers, and the larger ones as one gallon jugs. There are growlers that come in smaller sizes as well.

9. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    So about 8 pints.

Good info for the future. :D

10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

There's one problem with this beer dispenser. In the 3 states I've purchased growlers the laws would prohibit this thing from being filled. In all of the states the growlers had to have the stupid surgeon general's warning. In at least one you couldn't buy a growler from store A and then get it filled at store B. The growler actually had to have the name of the store filling it in addition to the SG warning.

11. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    You guys are lucky. I've not encountered a store in the north that fills growlers. We have a local farm winery that does refill their own with ciders, but that's the only place I've ever come by that does.

12. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I know for a fact they fill growlers at breweries in PA and there are a bunch of places in NYC that fill growlers. You must live in the sticks with black and white television and rabbit ears.

13. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Well, yes. Some breweries do. I was under the impression that you could walk into most bars and liquor stores and get a growler filled.

We do have color tv, but to get it, you have to have a big black satellite dish in your yard. Not everyone has one yet though, because they cost so much.

[​IMG]

14. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do.............. There's a LOT more beers available now than when I drank it. My favorites were always: Pacifico, Killian's red, Moosehead and, in certain areas of MX. at the time, there was a beer named Victoria which was good. Costa Rica made a good brew but, now, I can't remember it's name!

15. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
  16. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    picked up a few yesterday

4 pack sierra Nevada Ovila Belgian style abbey saison ( new to me , any one tried it before?)

4pk New Holland Dragon's MIlk
    4pk Founder's Double Trouble
    4pk Founder's Devil Dancer triple ipa
    4pk Lucky Bucket certified evil ( new to me a friend of mine in Nebraska mentioned it saw it and bought it)
    Brooklyn Cuvee Noire

as well as my abundance of
    left hand
    400lb monkeys
    n
    milk stout

victory hopdevil
    n
    golden monkey
    and Twelve

as well as

2 Stone ipa variety 12 packs
    and
    two Chimay

17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Dragon's Milk is outstanding. I love that's it's always available. Far too many BBA Stouts are only on the shelves for a day or two and then gone for a year.

18. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    chilling the Brooklyn Cuvee Noir right now for the game tonight

hope it doesn't disappoint like our two yo yo s did yesterday with their shenanigans

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I was very disappointed when I walked into my distributor yesterday and learned that NYS does not allow for samplers to be given out anymore :eek:

It became my ritual last year to go there on Sundays before game time and try a few samplers and get a growler filled of the one I liked for the game. Of course, with no samplers now, I chose one I did not like yesterday. Stupid stupid law :threaten:

I picked up a jug of Mississippi Mud, I'l let you all know how that one is Thursday :guiness:

20. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

I always check out the reviews of new beers on beer advocate or ratebeer before purchasing. Yes, I'm that guy standing in the beer aisle with his nose in a smartphone

21. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    That time of year again. Fall on it's way. Nights getting cooler. Football season has begun...

And Sam Adams Octoberfest is on the shelves. :dancing:

Hey, wait a second. WTF have they done to my glorious golden beverage??? Dammit!!! The hops junkies went and screwed up perfection by changing the formula! It now has a decidedly overly hoppy taste. :frustrated::mad::sick::cray:

22. BowlsOfSteel

BowlsOfSteel Active Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Really? Sorry but I can't help myself as I'm from Germany and always rolling on the floor whenever I read about Oktoberfest with this kind of soda you're drinkin over there :lolol:
    Please don't take this to serious :grin:

I got some Bud over at The International Series last year and I must admit this has not much to do with beer (maybe the ingredients). Also this "light" beers :facepalm:

Thank you for having the greatest game on earth, but maybe bring some real drinks next time ;)

23. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Hate to break it to you, but "Bud" isn't an American beer anymore. ;) And I agree it's awful, as is anything made by Anheuser-Busch, Miller, Coors, et al. Mega Breweries almost always suck.

Sam Adams is a decent brewery. They make seasonal beers. That was one of their good ones. I'm a Guinness guy normally anyway.

Now I'll get out of the way for the craft and microbrew guys to defend the U.S's honor. :D

24. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I don't even drink beer and even I can confirm that Bud is straight up Garbage.

Funny story, years ago I walked into a bar in Germany, and there was a group of three guys that kept ordering Buds like they were free. And they cost more than the German beer because it was imported. :lolol:

Speaking of beer, maybe I'll pick up a case. Probably Red Stripe, always been a fan for some reason.

25. BowlsOfSteel

BowlsOfSteel Active Member

Jan 4, 2012
    This is just normal here. There is an online store which sells "American food" and also beer. 24 Bottles Sam Adams are around 65$ there. Bud / Miller etc. is ~50$.
    I had some vacation in Berlin weeks ago and there is a restaurant called House of 100 Beers and they have like 60-70 beers from all over the world (in addition to some german variations), but there ain't one from the US :lolol:

The Guinness you're talkin about is from Ireland, isn't it?