1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The BEER thread.

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    As the season approaches, I figure now is as good a time as any to discuss the brilliant combo of hops and malted barley (or wheat, or any grain you prefer).

Rules of the thread:

1- Dissing someone else's favorite beer is, well, a time honored tradition. ;) But be prepared to take it if you want to dish it out.

2- The thread is meant to be informative as well as entertaining. Feel free to pass along trivia and tidbits. Just make sure they're accurate.

Just got back from the distributor and I'm stocked up for a while. :) A couple cases each of Guinness Extra Stout, and Sam Adams Octoberfest. 2 of my favorite beers.

Guinness is my favorite. :guiness: I like the Draught too, but Extra Stout is where it's at. Sadly, I can never find Extra Stout in places to buy six-packs, so by the case is the only way I can get it. Now, the Guinness people will tell you that Draught and Extra Stout is the same. That "Draught" is just formulated to be drank straight from the can or bottle without the need for "the perfect pour." It's close, I suppose, but they're not the same, IMO. And isn't that "perfect pour" part of the romance with Guinness? It is for me anyway. A good head - waiting for the head to settle into a nice creamy froth - is part of the ritual and gets the taste buds in a state of anticipation. :D

Recently, I was in Ocean City, MD. There's a Steeler bar there called "The Salty Dog." Great bar, great atmosphere, great food. If you're near the area, check it out. But the best part is they have Guinness Extra Stout on tap! That's 10000 bonus points in my book. Guinness on tap is perfection. It's enough to make even an atheist believe there is a god... and he loves us.

And contrary to popular perception, Guinness isn't really any heavier than other beers. Calorie content is the same, or even lower (!) than most beers. Guinness is also not black. It's actually red. It's just so deep, that it drinks the light and appears black. Hold one up to the light, you'll see for yourself.

I still haven't tried their Black Lager. I'm sure it's good. But if I'm going to buy a Guinness, it will be a Stout.

:guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness:

Sam Adams Octoberfest is a great seasonal beer. I love it. I wish they brewed it year round. As much as I love Guinness, I like variety now and then. I also like trying various beers. Sometimes, I find beers that are outstanding, sometimes, meh, or bleh!

So what's everyone's favorite beers? Go to beers? Things people should try before they die? :)

2. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Guinness is on the top of my short list of beers to enjoy during a game also.Boddingtons is good to mix it with too or throw in a bass and have a black and tan ..
    As far as domestics,I like yuengling ..
    Haven't tried the black yet either

3. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I call Yuenging my "fall back" beer. If all else fails, they'll usually have Yuengling and it's acceptable. Yuengling makes their own "Oktoberfest" now. It's pretty good. Not as good as Sam Adams, IMO, but pretty good nonetheless. The big "domestics:" Bud, Miller, Coors, etc, I find... lacking (to be polite). Of course, almost none of them are truly domestic now as foreign companies bought them out. AFAIK, the 2 top 100% American breweries now are Yuengling and Sam Adams. The rest may still brew here, but the money goes elsewhere...

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Great Divides Yeti series is fantastic if you're a fan of Russian Imperial Stouts
    Left Hand Milk Stout is pretty tasty .
    Sweetwater IPA
    Russian River Brewing's Pliny the Elder
    Harviestoun Ola Dubh( try the version aged in 40yr old single malt casks)
    Belle's Hopslam(ipa brewed with honey)
    Dogfish Head 90minute ale

5. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Bud,miller ,coors ect...ugh,,i won't even let those in my house :lolol: ..
    A buddy of mine loves Straub ,its brewed in St. Mary's ..Not a huge fan of it but they have a dark i have yet to try and my buddy says i need to..Gonna give it a try sometime this football season i'm sure
    Plus im from Erie so a railbender is usually on order when i visit home

6. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I drink Guinness, and so the does the bus... nuff said.

Attached Files:

7. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Guinness Extra Stout is almost always in my fridge. I used to like the draught on occasion, but I haven't had it in years. I can't remember the last time I had a regular domestic beer like Bud, Coors, etc. My wife will drink any cheap light (or extra light or whatever) beer that's on sale at the grocery store if she can pour lemon juice in it though. I used to enjoy Michelob Amber Bock years ago, but haven't had it in a long time, and probably wouldn't care for it now. I usually drink stouts, Porters, or a Dark variety of some kind. I also enjoy Sam Adams and Saranac if they have the brew I want in stock. Every couple months I'll stop at the specialty beer shop and pick up a few craft brews that are new to me. I'm not a big fan of hoppy beers or Ales in general.

I used to visit an Irish Pub in a neighboring town years ago, and the owner was very passionate about Guinness. He would say that a perfect pint of Guinness was something you had to wait for. When the pint was finished 'steeping' he'd make a shamrock in the head, which is a little corny, but kind of cool nonetheless. I always thought he was messing with me about the pouring process, but I later found out that he was serious. A 'proper' pint of Guinness should take time to pour. :guiness:

[youtube:1h4di9us]HMNBPZ6wVfY[/youtube:1h4di9us]

Yum! :drinks:

8. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Great vid, TTF. I'm drooling. That's the perfect pour I'm talking about.

Sam Adams makes a chocolate stout that's pretty good... but I always feel like I'm cheating on Guinness if I drink it. :oops:

Interestingly enough, if you buy the Draught, the pour technique is different. You want to pour it at a 90 degree angle (don't tip the glass) moderately slowly. You may pause, and then top off, but it won't take 2 minutes. The effect is almost the same in the end. :)

I agree that I don't like overly hoppy beers. Which is why I usually avoid most ales, especially IPAs. To each their own. I prefer the balance to be more on the malty side. So color me surprised when I learned that Guinness is technically an ale. :shocked: My ale aversion also does not extend to brown ales. There are a few I quite like. Sam Adams makes one. Newcastle's is quite good. And one I tried (finally) called Fat Squirrel which is a win for name alone.

Still trying to find Arrogant Bastard anywhere near me. Great name, and I hear good things about it.

9. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

If you don't like IPA's you probably want to stay away from Arrogant Bastard. I've read it's as high as 98 IBU's, but Stone's website has the ibu's listed as "classified".

• Like Like x 1
  10. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    My parents travel a lot and almost always pick me up a local brew from where they visit. Strangely enough, they just stopped by an hour ago after getting back from a week long trip to Rhode Island. Once in a while they'll bring back something weird and really awful, but tonight it was a pretty decent Porter. A little thin, but not bad. :D

[​IMG]

11. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    True. But for the name alone, I need a bottle. :)

12. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I am nowhere near what you would consider a "beer conniseur"(can`t even spell it right.. ;)).. I usually go with quantity, over quality...
    Yuengling is still a bit of a delicacy to me, because it only recently became available in Northeast Ohio, and it beats the hell outta Budweiser for the same price, IMHO... Also, I like their "Black-n-Tan", which is supposed to be half Guiness, and half Yuengling... I dunno,
    But I like it because it reminds me of the Beck`s Dark, that is almost impossible to find anymore, unless you wanna go to an "upscale" place that sells fancy beers for a premium price...
    But, I digress.
    I am a HUGE fan of "Arrogant Bastard"... Ray, you might want to buy a bottle, just to read the labeling on it... That company has a GREAT sense of humor.. It probably WILL be too strong for your taste... But that simply means "You are not worthy of this magnificent brew"... Anyhow.. it is available in the Giant Eagles around here, which actually have a pretty good selection of craft brews... Not sure if that is nationwide, or not... It IS very Hoppy, and strong, but I tend to like strong beers. To each their own...
    I have been championing "Rogues Brewery"`s beers, ever since I tasted their "Rogue Hazelnut", beer, not a strong, or overpowering taste, but VERY good, IMHO...
    They also have a "Chocolate Stout", that is tasty, and a few others that I forget the names of, which are tasty, too...
    Locally, we have a "Great Lakes Brewing Co.", that makes a few good beers... The "Edmund Fitzgerald", might be too strong/dark, for delicate pallets, but it IS good!
    They also make a very good Porter, that I can`t recall the name of, off the top of my head...
    Newcastle Brown Ale, is one of my fave imports to drink, if the restaraunt I am in, happens to serve it...
    J.D`s Honey Brown, is another decent(to me), mass produced beer...
    I wish I had the time, and wallet, to dedicate to tasting all of the various "microbrews", and locally produced beers, throughout the land, but I`m just a simple workingman... I would never deign to describe the "proper pouring angle" of different beers... Just tilt the glass, so it don`t foam... ;)
    I might have to look up an old thread about "tasting parties", `cause that sounded like a great way to get some cool people together, and taste different types of beer. Like I said when I first read it, tho... I would probably have to modify the rules just a touch, to fit the budgets of the people I wanted to include... :cool: :herewego:

13. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Ahhhhhh... but you WANT it to foam. A good head isn't just for looks. It releases the scent better. Your taste buds aren't the only factor in how things taste. A lot of it is also in your nose. A good aroma greatly enhances the flavor. This is true for any beer. Not just Guinness.

Now temperature - that's another issue. I don't drink warm or even room temperature beers like our friends in the U.K might. But I will say this: If you need your beer to be ice cold, it's a bad beer. 45 degrees (F) or thereabouts is perfect for me. The reason some beers taste better ice cold? They suck. And ice cold masks the bad flavors.

14. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I stand corrected... :bowdown:
    Like I said... I don`t consider myself a "beer snob"(connisuer, or whatever)... :roflmao:
    It`s all good, just wanted to give a shout out, to a few I like... :good:
    :herewego:
    I thought that all that "releasing the aromas", and swirling the sip of alcohol around the glass, before one talked about the "bouquets", or whatever, was relegated to pretentious folks, who drank fancy wines, or chardonnays/champagne... or whatever... I used to be more of a "Keg-stand", kinda guy, when I was younger... :drinks: :guiness: :shots: :shots: :shots: :guiness: :goofy: :kapow: :lolsign: :think: :guiness: :matrix: :drinks: :dizzy:
    ... All good... I will "Know my role", in the future, and stay out of discussions that don`t concern me, Y`all... :roflmao:
    Just messin with ya! :herewego: :flag: :yeehaw:

15. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Nah. It has nothing to do with beer snobbery or swirling or anything like that. Just makes the beer taste better. :) After all, that's why we're drinking it, eh? Ok, there's the other thing too, but if it doesn't taste good, I'd just as soon stay sober. ;)

It also helps that the head makes the beer "creamier" to the pallet.

And everyone has different tastes. That's why there's so many different types of beer out there. :) But try the head. Especially with a better crafted beer. It really does work.

It used to be that most men appreciated a good head on a glass of beer. I'm not sure when the tendency to try to have as little head as possible started. But it probably started because of the misconception that having an inch or three of foam in your glass meant you had less beer. Of course, if you're drinking straight from a can or bottle, that can't be helped. Many beers still taste great that way. But I'll always prefer my beer in a glass - or even a red plastic cup if need be (draft if at all possible). Allows for that foam, and makes gulping easier. :guiness: :guiness: :guiness: :guiness:

16. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I've had the Edmund Fitzgerald Porter- good brew right there. I'll have to look for that next time I'm out and see if I can get it locally. I've only had it in Illinois.

17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

I know it's available in MD if you're close enough to justify driving.

A few other beers worth trying

Founder's Breakfast Stout
    Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout(coffee stout aged in bourbon barrels)

18. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Damn! I was just in MD 2 weeks ago. Never saw it. Now the 2 you mention sound very intriguing. I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

Anyway, I know what happiness looks like. It looks a lot like this:

[​IMG]

19. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm a huge Dogfish fan. Been drinking their stuff for years. I have a case of 120 Minute IPA that I bought in October '11 that will sit for at least another year before I crack it open. It is soooooooo damn good! 60 Minute IPA is my fallback beer but 75 Minute (a mix of their 60 an 90 minute) is probably my favorite DF beer.

Guinness is good but I have to be in the mood for it. It certainly isn't a summer beer of choice for me but to me it is the best lower calorie/carb beer on the market.

strummerfan - Try Oaked Arrogant Bastard if you can find it. Good stuff.

Try the link below if you can't find their beer locally.

http://www.halftimebeverage.com/browse. ... 2,370.html

20. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

I love love love what a little oak aging or bourbon barrel aging does to beer. DFH is up there in my topp ten craft breweries, but I can't agree with you about the 120 minute ale. That stuff is too cloyingly sweet for me.

21. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    120 is sweet but at ~18% alcohol you only drink 1 or 2. I'll "suffer" through it once in a while. ;)

22. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks for the link, Scott. Nice site. :drinks:

23. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    That site is pretty cool. I like how you can search by hop level, color, alcohol level, etc.

24. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Cool site indeed. That Vanilla Smoked Porter is making me salivate.

25. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    I tried Rouge Bacon Maple Ale last weekend and it was absolutely disgusting! It tasted like I took a log out of a fireplace and licked it. No bacon, no maple, just smoke. The store said they order 5 cases but after tasting it they called the distributor and asked them if they would take 4 cases back.