1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The AAF (NFL's Farm Team League) Starts Play Feb 9

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by MojaveDesertPghFan, Feb 6, 2019.

1. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Maybe it takes off, as a minor league system for NFL players. If you look at it. MLB, has the biggest minor league system.
    NHL and NBA both have minor leagues.
    But on of the most popular sport the NFL doesn't really have one. Most have failed like NFL Europe, and that was the NFL trying to develop a system for that.

Keep chasing your dreams, hopefully some of them turn it around and maybe get back into the NFL.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Key thing about this new league is the timing of it. Namely, the NCAA prohibits its athletes from earning money from anything. If so, that is subject to severe punishment. What the AAF needs is a "Joe Namath" so to speak in order for the league to gain any ground; significant ground being the dream.

Luckily for them, their "Joe Namath" could come from a consenus five star recruit in Trevor Lawrence; fresh off of a National Title win. Question remains though is which AAF team would break the bank to pry him from Clemson? Biggest question is would Trevor even go?!

Time will tell.

3. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    The only good that could come from it is giving a job to players undrafted by the NFL and some turn out to be undiscovered gems that end up in the NFL instead of being wrongly discarded forever. It`s incredible, but it happens as we all know.

4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't think that's what this league is trying to do, like the USFL did. All AAF contracts are for the same amount of money (and rather modest) from what I've been reading.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes he was from 2000-2003, he was our DB coach from 93-99. We finished 3rd,1st,1st and 3rd them years and in 01 K. Bell was Def rookie of the year. I am getting to old to remember them days....lol. :smiley1:

6. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Dude... you've been away longer than I have.... Isley's is long gone :-( Interestingly you can still get Klondikes

7. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    There is clearly room for league where guys who are out of college can go to develop. There are lots of players that could use a year or two more seasoning but have no place to go to get it.

The problem is the economics.

The NFL has showed no interest in funding a development league, when college football gives them one for free. Minor league football, historically, has struggled to pay for itself. Maybe this can work, but I have my doubts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    1st game has been entertaining. Has a bit more excitement than 1st half of the SB this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Decent sized crowd for a smaller venue in this first game. Makes more sense with cities that are far from an NFL team but big enough that it could potentially support it. Having a game televised should help. Will be interesting to see ratings.

10. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Tomlin should go coach in this league since they can only go for a 2-point conversion after a TD. His goof arse coaching style should fit right in line with this goof arse league:hehehe:

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Watson still runs angry and hits the line looking to punish guys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I like that the officials are wearing the bulletproof vests.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I know Isaly's stores are long gone but deli's (supposedly) still serve Isaly's brand chipped ham (advertised during Pirates broadcasts) just like Rite Aid still sells Thrifty's Ice Cream. The common expression though for someone being local for only a very short time is "they were here for a cup of coffee" but I was trying to localize it. :thumbs up:

14. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I think they were modeled after something else................... upload_2019-2-9_23-28-47.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Cobb had a few good runs too.

• Like Like x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well I watched the game and tried to do it with an open mind. What is gonna hurt this league is the QB play, and it was bad last night. I know it is only the first game but it was a snooze fest......not even close to the SB snooze fest but it was one. Let's face it the average football fans isn't gonna know most of these players. Heck most didn't even know there was a new league, so the product on the field needs to give people something to talk about. One thing I didn't like was the bleep or what ever they call it when they were listing to the mic'ed up people. I did love the mic'ed up players, coaches and officials.

Play felt like it was non stop but the games didn't feel shorter. I think if people watch with an open mind and not try and think it is the NFL it could work. I am willing to do that and will watch the Memphis game today while switching to NASCAR. I really believe the NFL needs a league like this cause every league has a minor league system. I will give you a prime example of why, there was a kid I liked coming out of the draft last year DB Jordan Thomas from OKL. He went undrafted and was signed by the Eagles after and then was cut. He is now in this league and will get a chance to show he can play or not, but this is a 2nd chance he would not have gotten if there wasn't a league like this. Time will tell but I will be interested to see how many players get an invite to NFL teams after this season.

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Nice for fans as they won't break the bank to take the family to watch a game. Players get incentive pay for their play.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    In case you missed it.......no flag on this:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I was stating that more so for the collegiate athletes that will likely become star or superstars in the Pro Leagues.

Given how strict the NCAA Athletic rules are when it comes to their athletes making any form of money sans the scholarship, a gateway to a league that does pay like the AFF, with no age or other academic restrictions, does serve a nice incentive. If one is already a superstar talent, why wait for the draft where you can showcase your talents against former NFL players who have NFL experience; great or small being irrelevant. A team in the NFL would likely bite at the oppurtunity of such a talent should that talent prove his worth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I did see that but my only down fall with that is it will be all about entertainment when it comes to VM. I really feel this league here the AAF could be a stepping stone for many players who might have just missed out in the draft. JMO

22. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I can see Troy and Hines fingerprints all over this play..
    Hot damn ,football man,that is football!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Back to football being football, I don't want to see anyone get hurt but if I wanted to watch something safe I would put on figure skating...........

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Just watched some youtube highlights and I must say ,Its some pretty good football,now granted I have yet to watch a full game but highlight wise ,there is some quality there..Maybe,just maybe it stays around for a few

• Like Like x 1
  25. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Tonya Harding...……..just sayin'

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1