1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The 2023 NFL Combine

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Feb 25, 2023.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Steelers GM Omar Khan will speak to the media on Tuesday, and Wednesday.

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    About time. LoL.
    I was for some reason thinking it started last week, and kept looking for it. LoL

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope to be able to study the CB, OL, and NG/ DT positions.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I watched all of the combine last year and what a difference a year makes. All of the talk and excitement last year was about Malik Willis, he could throw the ball with incredible velocity, he could throw it 80 yards with no effort, he had great speed and was built like a power running back. When it was Brock Purdy's time to throw they would cut to a commercial. It just shows you once again that there is a big difference between a combine drill and actually playing in a real football game.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    There was an offensive tackle from Maryland I believe years ago that just blew up the combine. Everyone was wowed by him. I don't think he played in the NFL very much at all. So yeah you need to trust the film you have on a player and the combine numbers. I would normally go with what the film shows me.

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I, like others don't put too much into young men playing in shorts, I hope the Steelers have a productive week
    at the combine interviewing and watching the people that interest them. I hope they are looking at OL, NT/DT and CB with first three picks.

7. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I'm going to guess Bruce Campbell in 2010. 6' 6 3/8", 315 lbs. 4.75 40, 34 reps of 225. 32" vertical. Mel Kiper Jr. had him in the top 10.
    Drafted by the Raiders in the 4th, bounced around, ended up in Toronto in 2015.
    They call it the Underwear Olympics for a reason.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    Thanks for the info! Yeah that's him. He was a physical specimen for sure. He had Kiper fooled. Thanks!

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I like watching the defensive players, and the skill players on offense, I record it then rewatch parts of it.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well if a guy sucks on game day....yes the drills mean nothing.
    If anyone actually watched Malik Willis play....even against inferior competition He was not that good, and everytime He played good competition.....he flat out sucked.
    Also like I've been trying to say on this board since I've been on Here.
    The media has been trying to sell these types of Qbs for a long while now.
    Why because college is loaded with them......, and eventually when the NFL has more of that style of Qb than the other....they will eventually win SBs.....but then again.....if the NFL loaded up on woman Qbs .....eventually they would win one also. So:shrug:

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You are really consistent on your QB takes. I just watched you go back and forth with Jack about how 10 games is not enough to determine if Rudolph is any good but Willis who everyone knew needs to be developed and played in all of 2 games is no good because of what you watched in college :lolol:

:thumbs up:

And by the way, there are only a few running QBs in the league now and one just played in the SB and was amazing in it. But tell us again about those percentages.

We agree on one thing though, there will be a lot more of them in the league in the coming years, I’ve been claiming that for years. GM’s see how hard the good ones are to defend.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    He was great in the Evil Dead series of movies though!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    The ones that are good are the ones that can beat you through the air as well. I knew Hurts had a chance to blow up this year because he really improved as a passer in year 2. If he grew again (which he did) he could be a top 5 caliber player. Now he needs to consistently be good in order to truly be a top 5 QB, but it just goes to show that the "runners" can be great if they can be really good as a passer too. Allen is the best at this. Hurts is not far behind at the moment. Lamar is not quite there as a passer and has been hurt. He also never got the true #1 WR like Allen and Hurts did. Its not super surprising that each of them popped off after Diggs and Brown were acquired respectively.

The next two years are huge for Willis. If he can start and become a threat as a passer he has a shot. He is far from that now, but people can develop. If 2024 comes to an end and he hasn't improved much as a passer, he likely will be out of the league.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, somewhere along this debate about running QB’s it was lost that the people advocating for them don’t just want a guy that can run, they want the whole package.

Willis clearly needs a lot of work, he’s much further behind than even Hurts was. Will be interesting to see if they decide to roll with him next season.

15. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Of course. I was always a proponent for the running QB's. Allen is my favorite non-Steeler in the league. I was super bullish on Hurts prior to this season (I think the whole conversation on it was with you a number of months back), and I think Lamar is a really good QB (not 250 million fully guaranteed good). But you need the whole package. Allen and Hurts are much better passers than Jackson, but Jackson is a better runner.

But yeah, it will be interesting. I think it would be a big stretch to think he would be ready for year 2, but you never know. They might just put him out there so he can grow over the season.

16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Hoping and Waiting to see Joey Porter run the 40. To be proved wrong when he runs a fast 4.3 or proven right when he runs a slow 4.5+. Then there is always the chance he chooses not to run at all.

upload_2023-2-26_19-15-49.png

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Malik Willis wasn't good in college.....So....:shrug:....what makes You think He will be good in the NFL????
    Hey I know what let's draft guys that weren't good in college. LoL
    At least guys like Lamar, and Hurts had pretty good college careers.
    No that's not why they are being drafted........
    The real reason is(You should know this) because You can win early on in football by putting Your most athletic guy that can throw at Qb......that is also why most never learn to play from the pocket. They never have to learn... It's been that way for awhile .....from pop through High school.
    Anyone that has coached, help, played, or had children play know this. So there is a over abundance of them hitting the colleges. You can only draft what comes out......that's the real reason why.
    What's the NFL, and it's media supposed to do.....Say.... hey.....the quality of Qbs coming out now are not as good as what Your accustomed to....:shrug:LoL they can't do that....so they hype them......they have to.
    If they are so great it wouldn't be the better pocket Qb winning.....year after year ....after year....after year....after year. Some of You act like there hasn't been running Qbs in the NFL for forever. Like they just started.....LoL :lolol:.
    I can't remember Football with there being no running Qbs.
    Here let's just go back a few years.
    Ben , Brady, Brees, A. Rodgers, P. Manning thats just the top 5 at one time.
    Do You honestly think there is a top 5 like that now??? LoL.
    You got Mahomes, Burrows, and maybe J. Allen, maybe Hurts(I personally must see more then one year for him) , and then ....then....who.... . LoL

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
  18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Speaking of Malik, why was Josh Dobbs starting at the end of the year for the Titans?

Was Malik injured or was he actually benched for a guy that wasn't even on the team a week before?

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly. Malik wasn't good in college....yet because He can run fast some people think He will be good. LoL
    I could at least understand if He was great in college

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats a lot of word salad to say you don’t wait 3-5 years to judge all QB’s :lolol:

And yes, players with bad tape have never gone on to have great careers and vice versa, lol. Come on dude.

• Like Like x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If You had read My whole conversation with Him.....I did admit to not liking running Qbs automatically, and I go in not liking them. I don't hide that. They .....In My mind have to prove Me wrong...., and I can only think of 3 that have changed My mind, and actually became good Qbs.
    Steve Young, Steve McNair, and R. Wilson.
    We all know if Steve Young played today.....He would have never gotten the opportunity to change.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    We can start getting an idea how they will approach this draft.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Gooooo Razorbacks.
    WPS

• Like Like x 1
  24. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hogs!!!!!