1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

thats why

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Kolbassi, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    That’s where on the surface it sounds ok but it’s not, you are increasing your odds of losing by 27%.

What I and a lot of people point out is it’s not about statistics (even though it says you will lose 28% of the time, and the rest when you both get the ball is still advantage to the receiving team), it’s about the probability of winning which decreases if you give the other team the ability to win.

2. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Your right I know nothing. But being a coordinator on 2 state championship teams, and winning 3 national titles in college makes me think otherwise. It was a dumb call and you defending it is ridiculous. With 1 missed tackle they could have lost without ever taking the field on O or D. Take the ball end of story. Your qb is your qb can't change that, he moved the ball well for the time he was in the game, you saw him move the ball all preseason you take your chance with the ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I said it doesn't make sense because you didn't consider the different factors. I understood the decision. Unfortunately you don't.

With one INT, fumble recovery, or defensive 3 and out the Steelers could had won the game in OT. See how that works?

You sure are limited in your thinking and ability to understand situations with your football back ground.

4. SteelAU

SteelAU Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    The other factor I thought was not mentioned that because of it I felt Tomlin should have accepted the ball in OT.

The Ravens had just driven down the field at the end of regulation trying to win or at least tie the game. Our D was doing everything to keep them from getting into field goal range.
    After the Ravens did tie it up, I felt the D needed a rest, and was pretty gassed in that last Ravens series.
    By playing D in the OT, it made the defense go right back out there with no rest. I felt that was going to be trouble, but luckily the Ravens couldn't get a 1st down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    It all depends on the various factors at play. Many of those factors can't be placed into probablity, statistics, ect.

At the end of the say the Steelers had a chance to win in over time based on the decision Tomlin made. An untimely turnover and unlucky bounce cost the team a chance to win.

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don’t understand why there’s so much controversy over this....

was it a risky call? Yes. Was it a dumb call? Maybe. He took a gamble and he won. Was it statistically the right move? The numbers say no even if slightly. It worked this time. Sometimes the stats go out the window. I think the bigger focus should be on the reason why he chose to do what he did. STs have sucked for years and nothing is being done about it. That’s the biggest issue here....

7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Because people want to be right. It's simply about understanding why the decision was made. People don't want to understand. They want to be right. They want to prove Tomlin is a dumb coach, the wrong decision ect ect ect contrary to what happened. Often time coaches take risks based on different factors involved in a game.

9. Da_Cranberry

Jan 22, 2018
    Yes, those *stats are very misleading, they don’t take into countless factors such as def vs of ranking etc.

Football is a gut call, I have zero faith in Tomlin’s ability to make a gut call based on history, or our defense being able to stop anyone.

10. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Like all coaches he's had his share of good monuments/calls and not so good moments/calls. He's helped this team win a lot of games. He's been one of the best at winning games in the league. You simply choose to focus on the not so good moments/calls as the standard.

11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I would be shocked if you graduated from community college. Challenging people on the internet to fights at Heinz isn’t exactly indicative of higher education.

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I get on Tomlin plenty but most times I feel it’s justified. This time I think people are complaining about what could of been and not enough attention being paid to the reason why he did what he did. This might not even be the best example of the ineptness on STs but there is a history of below the line performance. It’s hard enough to win in this league. Our STs have been like fighting with one hand tied behind our backs.

13. Da_Cranberry

Jan 22, 2018
    I see us as a mirror to the cowboys and Green Bay. Green Bay got rid of McCarthy, cowboys need to get rid of garret.

Something has to change, the players are always changing, can’t get rid of ownership, only option is the coach or gm.

14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    What do you want Tomlin to do about special teams, go on the field and make the tackle?

15. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    We dont' have a consistent head coaching problem yet.

16. Da_Cranberry

Jan 22, 2018
    You like making fun of community college? For a lot of people that is the best viable option, you realize that community college credits transfer to 4 year programs and actually is financially a better route? I suggest this route to a lot of people I mentor that are from lower income, but I’m glad you like to make fun of them.

What does higher education have to do with aggressiveness? Most successful people are aggressive. I finished summa in undergrad and went to one of the best grads school around so don’t talk **** to me.

Keep making yourself look like a fool on the internet.

The leading way indication of stupidity is making irrational reasoning or leaps to conclusions that are patently false, pretty much almost all things you say and think.

17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Nah he already tried that then chickened out the last second

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Da_Cranberry

Jan 22, 2018
    And just a compliment to you, you are a very respectful poster. We disagree with the coaching situation but I respect your opinion differs from mine. Only time will tell which is right but thanks for being civil.

19. BigSteel

BigSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    but that was Tomlin’s plan and it worked... so what’s your point?

20. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Add your lack of reading comprehension to the list. I didn’t make fun of cc. I said I would be shocked if you had even graduated from cc. Here’s a newsflash for you. Challenging people to a fight on an internet message board displays nothing more than stupidity.

21. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    When this team starts losing consistently like the Phins or Skins (in blow out fashion), stops remaining competitive, stops playing hard, and has consistently losing seasons it will be time for a HC change. They had the opportunity to win every game outside of the Pats blow out.

Eventually injuries may take a toll on this team's ability to compete on the field this season.

22. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Correct with that they could have won the game, just as KO return for a TD loses, so does a busted coverage, or a missed tackle on Lamar. Your defending a dumb decision by a dumb a$$ coach plain and simple. As Herm Edwards once said "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME". Tomlin continues to play not to lose and last night was just another showing. Chance to get points before the half up 21, D playing great, 3 TOs, take some shots who cares if you throw a pick down field. 4th quarter prevent D almost cost them. Tomlin is a bum, his time here has run its course, if you like mediocre cool, I don't with the talent this team has had and a HOF qb there should be at least 1 if not 2 more trophies in the case. BUT hes never had a losing season.

23. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Speaks to your ignorance if you believe Tomlin is a dumb coach and a bum. Who had more success in the NFL? Herm or Tomlin?

There isn't anything wrong with playing with intelligence to win games.

Take shots with a rookie QB on the road with 30 to 40 seconds left with a 21 - 0 lead at half time? Geez I am certainly glad you are not the coach of this team. You would be the first one calling Tomlin dumb if Duck threw and INT to allow the Chargers to score points before half time. All I can do is shake my head at what some people believe around here.

Honestly, it's hard to take someone like you seriously.

24. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I was going to add the gif, but I hit reply by mistake.
    You're right about special teams, it's been a glaring issue forever.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Da_Cranberry

Jan 22, 2018
    That’s savage man lmfao