1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

That Offense was different

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MadtownDruankard, Nov 22, 2021.

1. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    We clearly had a different game plan offensively. Ben looked different. Several drops, poor pass protection, a couple bad throws but overall looked better than the crap we have been watching . The offense was clearly better when Ben was calling plays. I would have liked to seen more running but the defense kind of blew that up. The coaches still managed to blow plays as well. Sure would have been nice to take 3 points there. Then the play call on 4th down? Really?

I think Ben may have been taking more blame for the lack of offense then maybe he deserved. Its really becoming glaring how bad our WR’s are .

We made the game close but for the first time this season I think you can say the defense clearly cost us the game. That said I think the score did not reflect just how bad we got our asses kicked.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben wasn't calling the plays, that's why he threw his hands up at the failed series at the first and goal, he wasn't happy with Canada playcalling, Diontae had over 100 yards so the WRs weren't all bad Claypool made some plays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I didn’t say he called every play. he called some plays and when he did it worked.

The WR’s as a group are terrible. Congratulations on a 100 yard game but the bad routes , bad ball skills, drops, every week take a huge toll. Claypool had several terrible routes . I think two corner end zone passes he couldn’t even get past the corner and get to his spot on a fade. You have to get past that guy. Physically he should beat everyone on jump balls. He rarely does. If the ball isn’t hitting these guys in the chest they probably aint catching it .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben only calls the plays in the hurry up offense, he doesn't have the freedom he had under Fichtner, Diontae is having a good season after dropping passes last season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Let's not forget the D and ST set up the offense with the short field.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    For such a big guy Claypool seems to play pretty small.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Plaxico had that problem too imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I want to say our offense had a breakthrough, but that was a bad defense we played.

• Agree Agree x 7
  9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    SD's D is really bad....Like worst in the League bad...I think that more than anything contributed to some " stats "...That, and some Turnovers and great special teams plays, made it look better than it was ...

Also, on the last series...When the SD D wanted to turn up the heat, they did...And they overpowered us!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, DJ’s TD, two phenomenal catches and 100+ yards and Claypool beating his man deep for an easy walk in TD only to be vastly under thrown are our WR’s fault. Damn, they are bad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Claypool has been very underwhelming this year but the QB play certainly doesn’t help.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Everyone wants Claypool to be Anquan Bolden but he wasn’t having these problems when Ben had better ball placement in the first half of last season. How many TD’s did Claypool have last year, like 10? They can’t capitalize on his skill set with Ben anymore. And they won’t try and get mismatches by putting him in the slot more, I’m not saying he is blameless, he’s only in his second year and obviously needs polishing but he’s not in the best position to succeed this year.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Yeah, not getting this take at all. I still think we need a true #1, but the WRs balled last night.

Interesting that they abandoned the Najee plan against the 32nd ranked run D and let Ben wing it so much, but it clearly produced, I guess, because they put u up more points than they had in over a year.

The failed RZ drives were killers, as were the last two drives of the game, common denominator are that they don't use their first round pick.

LAC hands you the game at the 34 and you ignore Najee and kick a FG after burning only 14 seconds off the clock. Then you take over down 3 with 2:09 left at the 25 and go 5-wide with the Chargers in prevent, only 4 guys at the LOS. Najee could have ripped off a huge run there or leaked out for an easy check down, but the sacks on long developing plays into the teeth of the D ended the game.

EDIT: Forgot about Najee's trip to the tent on the 2nd to last drive

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    Well I wasn’t a W but I think it was the first time this year we got in the 30+ score.

15. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    A breakthrough? When did that start, wasn't the first 3 quarters? And in the 4th, the blocked punt and tip pic contributed a lot to get that 'breakthrough" because if they didn't happen, not sure how bad we'd been beaten. We couldn't run all that well on the worst run D in the NFL. The team as a whole never gave up and to me that is worth boasting about. Red zone O didn't seem to do as well as the Chargers. We broke 30 points and if that is the definition of break through then I agree with you but that is as far as I saw. Too many missing pieces and I'm glad we made some plays to nearly win the game. Very entertaining. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It is difficult to get to his spot when the officials are allowing Samuel to grab his jersey, which happened at least twice. Claypool has to get better at those plays, which he has never done well, even in college. That said, he's still a good receiver, just not a great one.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Harris was out of the game being evaluated for a concussion after the Chargers turned the ball over on downs at their own 34. The Steelers ignored the run there because they don't have a running back worth a damn other than Harris. I'm surprised at you missing the opportunity to hammer away at one of your favorite talking points there.

I agree regarding the play-calling on the final drive. They moved away from taking the smaller chunks the Chargers had been giving them all night and it was costly.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Watch the replay of the underthrown pass to Claypool again, but really focus on Roethlisberger. He had good protection, but still didn't step into the throw. That was all arm. He seemed to get better later in the game, but his mechanics still aren't right, at least not consistently.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree with you about Dionte. But it sure seemed to me like Ben was calling a lot of the plays on the field last night. No way to know for sure by any of us. But that was my impression.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Completely forgot about that.

• Like Like x 1
  21. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I am going to go ahead and say it. Chase Claypool may be the most over-rated Steeler I can remember in some time. He started the 2020 season on fire, and then slowly fizzled out. He makes a splash play every now and then. But he is widly inconsistent, and sometimes he is flat out bad. He is all hype at this point and I'm not sure he is ever going to be better than a 3rd or 4th receiver in the NFL.

I disagree about DJ. He seems to have mental breakdowns making reads from time to time, but I think he is an excellent route runner. DJ looks like a legit #1 reciever to me.

• Like Like x 1
  22. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Claypool has been terrible. I get that Ben has been less than accurate at times this season. But that is no excuse for the drops when Ben does hit him. Claypool has done a poor job making combat catches going back to the middle of last year. His route running has been less than stellar. Chase needs a lot more than just a little polishing.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    With better QB play he'd be a monster, Ben NEVER hits him in stride. That missed TD early cost them dearly, everything else seems like a poorly thrown jump ball.

The excuses made for Ben are getting old.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Disagree, I think that is way over the top criticism and the opposite of what you are claiming, no one is overhyping him, I don’t see anyone comparing him to Randy Moss, just people disagreeing with the over the top criticism.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    It's more like people continuously making excuses for underachieving players. Ben hasn't been good either, but he gets too much blame around here. Claypool's play has been so bad that it is time to get JW more reps. It is getting to the point that any one v one shot down field to Claypool is a wasted play. He makes like 1 out of every 10 combat catches. That's not all on Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1