1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

That’s All Folks

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hardini68, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I've been wanting Tomlin gone for years, I'm not just going by this joke of a season, this just adds to it, things are getting worse and will continue to suck even more until he's gone.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Record is irrelevant in the end they had the same result they had this yr. They were on the couch watching the playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Well applying that logic to its natural conclusion, at the end of the year there is only 1 team who can say that they had a better season this year than last.

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That’s true ....unless you repeat :smiley1:

5. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Then you complain that the team is stagnant.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018

7. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I agree I only praise the SB winner each season. Not anyone else. Its only one winner. Everyone else came up short. For example if we could pull old comments I was one of the ppl that said the season we lost to jax was a failure but everyone said oh they went 13-3. Who cares? They didnt get the job done in the end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    If you are setting your expectations so high, then you are only dooming yourself for disappointment and failure.

Understand that this is different than setting a goal and working your hardest to achieve it.

Sure you should absolutely set the goal to win the Super Bowl every year and work your ass off to get there staying focused on that goal until the end. But once its over and time for reflection, you have to make an honest and fair assessment. You simply cannot dismiss your inability to attain your goal as failure. There are a lot of positives to focus on and build off of. Ultimately you will be better for it.

I know that I wrote this as if you are a member of the Steelers, but it's really just an analogy for life in general that extends to your fandom for the Steelers.

I certainly hope that you in your personal life are not as critical of yourself as you are in your assessment of your favorite football team.

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
  10. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    You're probably right. I should just accept mediocrity and make excuses for underperforming and being unprepared. Wait...I'm not a Browns fan. If you are happy with 8-8, jump ship and root for one of the perennial loser teams that get excited if they sniff the playoffs. I think I'll keep expecting a winning team whose goal is a championship, not to end the season over .500.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    That’s missing the point a bit.

Nobody is happy with 8-8.

Everyone wants a championship.

Nobody is cheering for mediocrity.

People are looking at some of the reasons the record was what it was, and in the context of what other teams have done with similar injuries.

That doesn’t mean there weren’t fixable aspects to some games or mistakes made. But holding the standard as a championship for this year’s roster is... ambitious.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok so I guess that means he’s wrong about everything :shrug:

14. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    What he said
    |
    |
    |
    |
    \./

15. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Maybe I am. Maybe I'm not. What I see is a lot of excuses for Tomlin not being held accountable. If this was just one year, sure, cut the guy some slack. But it isn't. And I won't. Years of losing to inferior opponents. Years of starting slow. Years of favoritism. Years of double-talk. Years of squandering talent. Years of bad coaching.

I will say this again...well coached teams will win the games they are supposed to win and split the rest. When you can't/don't do that, there is a problem. We've had a problem for a long time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Which playoff team did the Steelers beat?

17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I suppose I’d argue that being held accountable includes the positives as well as the negatives. So what you’re calling excuses could, in at least some posters cases, be an honest appraisal of the positives of what was achieved in the circumstances. That’s different to making excuses, which is why we can say that, for example, the offensive play calling left a lot to be desired, but execution played a part as well.

I would treat an appraisal of this season differently to an appraisal of Tomlin’s overall record. Obviously this season would form part of the bigger picture, but I think a lot of the challenges this year were pretty distinctive from recent years.

18. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They actually defeated 2 playoff teams ..KC and Titans (preseason) :hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I stated earlier in the season that I felt Tomlin was actually getting more out of this team than expected and gave him credit for success at the time with the cast of characters he had at his disposal. Also stated what I felt needed to be accomplished in order for him to be truly be praised for a "successful" season, all things considered. He fell short in my opinion.

Challenges, distinctive or chronic, are to be expected in his profession and must be overcome. A team with no injuries throughout a season does not have its success labled distinctive. The coach is not said to have done a lesser job because of the fortunate health of his team.

I am simply a no excuse type of person. And I wouldn't give any coach a pass on a season rife with injury, not just ours. One game? Absolutely. A couple? I can do that. But a season? No.

20. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I think when you look at the Eagles, who some loath on here, they faced a lot more injury issues that we did numerically/ starters wise. Granted Wentz wasn't one of them , but they lost just about everyone else especially on offense. They ended the season 9-7 and made the playoffs. I know they have a weak division and wouldn't have made it if they had Rats in their division, but they made it. I think Pederson is a pretty good coach and what he did this year with his team was pretty good and comparable to the Steelers, but a little better. My point is he found a way to win and get in. They just lost another OL for the year. Yet they are playing next week and we are not and that is what matters. Pens are kinda of in the same boat with injuries and Sullivan is finding ways to win without their best player(s) JMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Couldn't agree more. And Sully? OMG, what a beast at HC. Sure the Pens struggle when Crosby and Malkin and Letang and Hornqvist and others go down, buy damned if they don't right the ship with Sully leading the way. No one is perfect, but he is an impressive coach. I'd advocate him picking up football but I like the Pens too much.

• Agree Agree x 1