1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

That’s All Folks

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hardini68, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Well mixed feelings here won 8 games with no QB. However why don’t we have serviceable backup? Let’s face it you lose your HOF QB season is done. I still think we had enough talent to make the dance , maybe not though. Moving forward here’s my thoughts.
    1. Back up QB Ben is old don’t draft one they all suck.
    2. Offense linemen are old need some backups ready to take some spots
    3. Special teams is not a joke look into getting serious in that department games are won here.
    4. In game management coach to help Tomlin with decisions even if he objects
    5. Need a stud RB league is changing back to ball control
    6. Grow some balls team is soft

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    No no no no they still have a shot to get in

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I don't know how you can call a team that battled trough all of the adversity that they had all year long to an improbable 8-8 record, soft.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    At least the season was entertaining. The organization found ways to keep the team relevant and keep fans interested up until the final week of the season.

Tough decisions coming in the off season.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    If Ben comes back even if he is close to what he was which was inconsistent we have too many problems with the oline to be competitive. We need cap space to start to fix the many problems with this team, facing too many FA's with no money is not looking good. Ben at 30 mil is going to kill this team, by the time his money comes off the books even more players will be on the wrong side of 30.

Some thoughts.
    Fictner sucks big time and is in way over his head, knowing the Rats were going to bring pressure he has no outlets for a rookie QB, and the pass to JU JU 5 or 6 yds behind the LOS is pathetic.
    The Duck although a nice story is done, he has no pocket presence at all, he is like the old lady at the grocery store who stops her cart in the middle of the aisle and has no clue of the people around her.
    JU JU cannot get open at all, is that on him or the high school talent at OC.
    I agree with Hardini68 we are soft nothing bugs me more than seeing BALTIMORE run all over us playing what used to be Steeler football.
    Can we please let big Dan go, all he does is take up space and even then he does a poor job of it.
    And as good as the defence has been they still cannot cover TE's.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    AV, fieler, finney, DD, chuks or banner would be my starting line next year.

Snell and a new FB would be my starting run game tandum.

Juju, johnson, washington, cain, two speed threats would be on this team with a competent coach for them.

A true vet an coach would come in with my new OC.

a new DC, inside lb coach and olb coach need brought in.

Vannett stays, McDonald goes and we draft a good all around TE.

We draft DL help.

We find olb help. Chickillo goes.

We find a punter.

Bush, barron, UG3, spillane are my ilb players next year.

We look to upgrade the backup safety program and not have safeties playing lb and LB playing safety.

We either keep lynch or find a backup with a starting background. This would help mason more and the team with bens age and history at this stage.

:cool:

7. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Because they're soft.

They can't block. They can't tackle. Soft.

And 8-8 isn't anything to brag about. It is something to address and not let happen again.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Agree with everything but the stud rb. We have too many issues to worry about another rb. Fix the OL and Snell/Sam/Whyte can run. Trust me. Those three are plenty good enough to run behind a competent line.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It was just one of those seasons when nothing went right injury wise. The team was playing meaningful football in December which exceeded most peoples' expectations.

• Agree Agree x 8
  10. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They went 0-6 agasint the playoff teams, most of the wins were agaisnt the other garbage teams.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Maybe i'm in the minority here but I still see promise in Mason Rudolph. If he doesn't get injured in the Jets game I feel we would have won.
    He will be Bens back up. If in so Ben can come back.

I feel after seeing Snell power run yesterday he should be the #1 going forward. And yet again he was tearing it up then was banished to the sidelines for several series. Dumb. But thats Ol Randy fer ya. I have little faith in Conner not getting a myriad of injuries. I like what he brings when NOT injured but can't be trusted to stay healthy.

The O Line needs attention. Again yesterday we saw that AV has had arguably his worst season playing. And high/low snap Pouncey. And Foster needs to get on with his lifes work, like dragging his and Bens @ss to Weight Watchers.

A lot of stuff to ponder. A lot of time to do it...

• Like Like x 2
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I guess your not aware he has a lifetime contract.

13. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    No. 1 Should be get a new head coach, but with Rooney that's not going to happen.

The next best thing is to get a new OC, no matter what Ben thinks. The past 3 games against Buffalo, Jets, and Ravens, when it was 3rd and 4 yds or more, all the teams blitz just about every time. You would think our coaching staff would have a few plays designed for this. No we just keep trying the same pass plays that either get intercepted or sacked. :facepalm:

Every time on 1st or 2nd down all the teams stacked the box and dared us to pass, you would think that our coaching staff would come up with something new other then the wild cat. No we just keep trying to run into a stacked box with the same plays. :facepalm:

Horrible coaching all the way around along with some poor executions. :facepalm:

14. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Can't tackle? The were really damn good this year. That alone was a big reason why the defense improved
    And yes, 8-8 with no BB, no AB, no JJSS for 5 games, and a 4th string undrafted QB starting 1/2 of the season after the second year QB went down and out is something to brag about.
    Some people's expectations are way too high.
    Did you seriously expect this team to make the playoffs and make a run with their offensive roster?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Lol, so you expected them to not only compete but actually win against 6 playoff teams with a QB who was undrafted and a practice squad guy at the beginning of the year? Aside from the New England game they were tough, competitive, and in all of those games against playoff teams. If BB doesn't go down, they've got AT LEAST 2 more wins, maybe 3 and you're singing a different tune.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    What they coulda done didnt happen, what did happen was they lost their last 3 games in a row and only scored 10 points in each game, thats like fans feeling good because they beat the superbowl champs in the regular season and they accept that win as a consolation prize while their team is sitting at home...

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Hardini68.

I do not think that you and I have ever chatted. So, "Hello" my friend. I just wrote a whole thing about this as my #1 disappointment with Management this season regarding your quote: "However why don’t we have serviceable backup"? I had concerns about this way before the season started. We went into the season with basically two rookies to replace Ben if he went down. Even if it was for a significant amount of time. Well, sure enough it happened. That was poor foresight on Managements part. Plain Disgusting!

Given that, both Mason and Duck tried, did decent, but no can tell me that we could not have won at least two more games (made the playoffs) with a proven Veteran QB. They had the whole off-season to address this and did nothing. Unbelievable!

However, I do disagree with your OL assessment. Yes, they are getting older. However, it seems that with the Munchak departure some things just fell apart. Things that seemed "intangible" to me. You can't be that good last season and lose it that quick or can you? I really do not think so. I think OL Coach Sarrett just did not do a good job with them.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

18. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    With BB last yr they did the same thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think you and I are the only ones who recognize how atrocious the QB play was.

8-8 with Ben is nothing to gloat about. 8-8 solely because of your defense which isn't remotely soft is an achievement.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Just telling it like it is for the homers..... 8-8 against crap teams ( should be 7-9 if Indy didn't miss the short FG) it doesn't mean great job let's extend MT's contract, he didn't raise anybody's ability level, he only lowered them,,,he still sucks even with a healthy team ( with Bell and Brown) against the garbage,,now he gets a free ticket cus of the injuries? :roflmao:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I expected them to perform better, be coached better, and win more than they did with their offensive roster. The players were not focused and the coaches were a joke. With a better prepared team and inspired coaching, we win 10-12 games and aren't an afterthought going in to the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    1) Yes
    2) I know
    3) Ben wouldn't have finished the season behind our OL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Well sure he does. Excuse-lin gets a pass for everything. AB was a distraction. Pass. Injuries. Pass. Poorly weighted challenge flag. Pass. Jibber jabber out of context. Pass. I could go on.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    They won more games and lost fewer with a much worse defense, but yeah other than that it was exactly the same :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Your expectations are waaay too high and unrealistic, hence your disappointment.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1