1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Thanks Landry!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree for the most part but not about making the playoffs with a backup QB. Thats no given, you need someone to drive the Ferrari. Can you? Certainly, Castle got the Patriots to the playoffs but for the most part, Ive always felt that if your star QB goes down, the season goes down with him, no matter how good the rest of the team is.

What I look for, out of a backup QB, is to weather a small amount of games until the starter gets back.

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Can't believe a back up QB has ever deserved this much air time.LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't believe Cassell got the Pats to the playoffs, did he? They were 11-5 that season but failed to make the playoffs if I remember correctly.

4. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    correct
    and of course the pats cried like punkbeaches

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I believe youre right, Jack. I think that they got to 11-5 is the gist of the OP point of view though, that the season doesnt have to be a wash if your started goes down.

I think its very rare that the season and the hopes of playoffs isnt over when your starter goes down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Agree. Cassel got them to 11-5 in the lame AFC East with a roster that started 18-0 (with a little help from video tape) the prior season. Ultra rare situation, and Cassel was the rare backup who was the starter for multiple teams after his backup stint ended, so he wasnt a run of the mill backup. Expectations for backup QBs need to be reasonable.

• Like Like x 1