1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Thanks Landry!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 18, 2015.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    We're 4-2 because of Vick?

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    D'OH!!!

3. blackNgold

blackNgold Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2014
    Never said that. Just can't understand why people are ripping on him and Tomlin when Vick did nothing wrong.

We are at least 1-1 because of Vick, Bell, and the defense (nearrrly 2-0 due to Scobee).

I'll credit the Arizona game to Landry, Martavis, and the defense.

All of a sudden Landry is a god, Tomlin is a BFF, and Vick haters have an excuse to hate. It's a head scratcher!

I don't think anybody will agree. Vick is a scum bag for what he did, but to dwell on it? No thanks. I'm completely content with where the Steelers are, and how they've got there. It goes to show that you can never count them out!

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I have absolutely zero hate for the guy he doesn't even register on my hate scale. What I did hate was the poor excuse for football that he played for three weeks that people try to make excuses for. If you want to pee on my leg and tell me it is rain than you better come up with better QB play for the roughly eight and a half quarters he played instead of crap. Do you want someone to list off all the things Landry Jones did in limited action last Sunday that Vick didn't do during his three game action? Would that comparison chart show just how horrible it was? I mean I don't know how you can view -6 yards as anything more than a giant load of suck.

5. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    People aren't ripping Vick they are spelling out just how bad his play was and Tomlin's decision to allow him to continue to be the starter when it was that bad. Landry isn't god but he at least can run the offense, he can connect on basic simple throws that Vick should be able to throw as a Vet and couldn't. No need to be a head scratcher it is simple to see why it was bad and why it was bad coaching to allow it to happen.

6. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Actually Vick came in as a reliever in the Rams game and the d held. We lost the Rats game in which he played the entirety. We won the San Diego game. We were going to lose the Cards game but then, mercifully, Vick got hurt, Landry came in, the playbook reopened for business, and one hot read on 3rd, a back shoulder to AB, and 2 td passes later we were victorious. Now we will get to see what Landry can do with a week of preparation with the starters. Out of curiosity, are you willing to say that Landry plays as, ahem, "sub par" as Vick? Or do you think he plays WORSE than Vick this week?

7. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I listed a few of them. They have fallen on very few deaf ears but some still remain... Although maybe it's not deaf ears but blind eyes.

8. blackNgold

Dec 15, 2014
    He still rushed for 50, and maybe that's not what you want from a QB. He laid his fair share of eggs. He tried not doing anything absolutely stupid. His accuracy is horrible, but they were good decisions. He should hit them, but he didn't. He stunk up the cardinals game. He won the chargers game. He gave multiple chances to win the Ravens game. It's football.

The point is more so that Tomlin is a HC for a reason, he played Vick over Jones for a reason, and they are 4-2 for a reason. Landry did play very well and I was shocked, but he's a piece a complicated equation and not the entire solution

9. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    In regard to Vick, he managed somehow to get us into position for at least one W w/ Ben out. Landry the other.

That's a good outcome to a really bad situation. I'm thankful, that simple.

There is something though, I'm not sure MV wants to be out there anymore. The hunger, that fight, may be all out from the problems he has put himself through. If that's true he he should never see playing time again meaning we need to look for other options as a "just in case".

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Only way Vick gets another gig in the NFL is if you are the GM :lolol:

Why does Ben have to work miracles? All he has to do is show up. You need miracles when Vick is the QB ;)

[​IMG]

Yes, Tomlin picked Vick over Landry for a reason and he was wrong. Vick didnt win the Chargers game, come on man, he had about 3 nice plays in the last 2 minutes which wouldnt have been needed if he was even sub par for the previous 58 minutes. Glad he pulled it together for those 2 minutes but they were in that position to begin with because of his poor play prior.

Vick is a classic example of winning in spite of not because of.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Guest

Guest Guest

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    Don't you mean Vick did NOTHING?;)

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Good news. I was worried that as soon as Vick was healthy, he would regain #2 status.

Glad to see Tomlin recognizes that Landry is superior to Vick and gives them a better opportunity to win.

• Like Like x 1
  14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Well I've narrowed it down. BlackNGold is NOT Mike Tomlin. LOL! Just kidding BNG!

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Before I jump on this as good news, isn't Vick still hurt? Is Jones 2 by default or from play?

16. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm not sure the article on NFL.com has Tomlin as being quoted as saying Mike Vick has a chance to be available Sunday which sounds like he has no intention of letting his buddy go quietly into dark night.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont know. I took it as a promotion after reading the part about deserving it. Guess we'll find out but I thought Vick was only expected to miss one game due to his injury.

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That's what I was thinking.

19. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Landry played much better in the Cards game than he did in the Chiefs game, even though he had a full week to prepare for the Chiefs game. Vick played much better in the Ravens game (even though we lost) than he did in the Chargers game (until the 4th quarter) and the Cards game, even though he had a lot of time to prepare.

I think the game planning is the reason why our backup QBs look pretty bad. I would have expected Jones to at least look pretty good against the Chiefs, and although his total yards was ok, he made too many mistakes and turned it over too many times. That is one thing that Vick did not do.

If you remember the playcalling when Vick was playing, it was painfully handcuffing. They should have had him rolling out, running around, and throwing it long. Instead, we saw a mix of interior running from Bell (which was ok), and little screen and dump-off passes. I am not sure that they designed plays that were aggressive enough for Vicks style. He could have also possibly just not picked up those plays fast enough in practice.

With Jones, we had some deeper passes and they used AB more. He just made mistakes. It was like watching the Texans or Ravens or Dolphins before they got good the past two weeks. A decent team with a crappy QB trying to execute a gameplan that should be reserved for a good QB.

Ben has made his share of mistakes in the past and we should give Landry some leeway, but until he proves that he is more solid and can make better decisions, I feel we are in a situation where we have no real backup QB. Jones looked good to fans because they hated Vick and his play, but that doesn't mean that Jones himself is a viable backup option. I think Grad is back as the backup next year unless Jones makes huge strides.

Final though, what is with the Steelers starting so slow offensively? Go back and look at our games this season. We are hardly scoring TDs until after halftime. I don't think that Haleys scripted playcalling is working in the first half, as we don't actually start to generate points until we are in "comeback mode".

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. blackNgold

Dec 15, 2014
    Oh my god somebody knows what they are talking about.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Saying Vick played better in the Ravens game than he did in the SD game is like saying "last week we lost by 200 but the week before we only lost by 100" Vick was bad/atrocious in every start. Landry played good in Arizona and fair in KC.

I dont know how anyone watching that game blames the interception that AB should have caught before kindly batting it right to a defender on Jones. Nor the blind side sack given up by our rookie LT. You say Vick played better in SD but if not for shear luck, he would have had 3 interceptions that were nothing but horrible passes.

Well yeah, which is why Jones should have been the choice all along, you have an entire playbook to work with instead of 3 plays. Also, rolling out Vick would have worked only so much before teams adjusted, when you have limited plays, its not hard to defend. Also, its not like Vick morphed into Rodgers by rolling him out, he was still bad.

He made some rookie mistakes for sure but Jones showed he is more than capable handling the game plan.

Couldnt disagree more with this and even commented on it in another thread. Best thing about the KC games is we found our backup QB. Try and remember it was his first start ever. He showed and has been showing all along that he is improving. Problem is, people have been crapping on him for 3 years and dont want to admit they were wrong about him. Jones is the future #2 here, bank on it. I'll still hope that Ben never misses a second but I feel good with Jones back there.

Vick looked bad because he was, his past doesnt change that. Plenty of people here that supported the signing are now saying he was terrible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. blackNgold

Dec 15, 2014
    You don't give up! haha cheers to ya

I just don't see how you are confident in him. Just like when Vick played, I found myself on the edge of my seat gasping for air when he threw the ball.

I just feel like if he played that way against the Cardinals they would have scored 40+. Granted he didn't and good for him, but boy will I be glad to have Ben back.

Everyone be taking the Bengals this week. I guess they don't know the Steelers play to their competition every single year!

• Like Like x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    This we can agree on!

I like Landry but hes no Ben.

I think the defense shows up this game, we can win this game with Ben and a strong showing by the D.

• Like Like x 1
  24. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Perhaps you thought I was advocating for Vick to be starting over Jones, which I clearly was not. My main point was that both Vick and Jones seemed to have regressed as they prepared for games, and were better when they were thrust into action without having much time to prepare. I also said that Vick's best game was against the Ravens, which is undoubtedly true, and he was not the legitimate reason why we lost the game. He was bad in San Diego until the final drive which he did well. Then was really pathetic against the Cards. Jones was great at the end of the Cards game, then seemed to take a step back against the Chiefs, even though he had a week to prepare. I was simply pointing out that trend and suggested that perhaps Haley or whoever is game-planning offensively isn't doing their best job.

As for backup QBs, right now Jones is like Weeden, just smarter. If we had to play a season with Jones, I don't think we make the playoffs. We should make the playoffs with this much talent on the team without our franchise QB. So assuming Ben doesn't miss an entire season, I think a better move is to try to find someone like Batch who can come in for a few games and manage the talented team to be successful and have a greater chance to win. Now, if you look around the league, most teams have crap backup QBs, so we were lucky/spoiled having someone like Batch for so many years. Maybe Jones will develop into a solid backup QB, but I don't see him as one right now. Should he start over Vick? Oh yes. Are we good enough with him at QB for a long term absence of Ben? From what I have seen so far, and especially with the regression that comes from whoever is game-planning, I don't think so.

Bottom line, having to send in our backup QB with our loaded offensive talent should not spell doom for ability to move the ball and generate points. Both Vick and Jones, when having time to prepare for games, did not perform well enough in those games considering the talent we have on offense.

25. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    See now there is a dude I have respect for... he is not a quitter lol