1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Thanks Landry!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Jack, Mac and myself have been in his corner. Ive seen others support him too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Some of that will be mitigated if Landry plays better after getting starter snaps in practice.

Even if he doesn't play well as a starter, it is encouraging for the future that he can step in cold and have some success, which is what you want from a backup QB.

3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Thats true, all you have to do is check out page 32 in the archives and look at the landry jones topic during pre season and there is 5 pagers of supporters and haters there....

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Aye. I think I've often gone on record as being amazed at how much hatred the guy got given what he'd done to merit it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'll admit I don't t follow OU as much as some of you and my brother is an Oklahoma state fan so I don't know enough about Landry's college games other than his stats. So a question to those who did watch him in college would you say Sunday was normal for him? Horrible practice, low expectations and a prime time performance? Or was it more out of character for him typically solid practice guy, moderate expectations and meeting those?

6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Scouting report on LJ:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/landry-jones?id=2539287

http://fftoolbox.scout.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2995

Pretty interesting read. Tells me that he's got some deficiencies to overcome but he's also got the kind of skill required to be successful at the next level if those skills can be refined. There's hope for this kid and I hope we get to see him play a full game after a full week of preparation with the ones.

Is it crazy to be thinking I might be disappointed if Ben starts on Sunday instead of Landry?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Very interesting read Jack. Seems he did all the things we needed Vick to do when he was in college so the question is shy wasn't that evident to the coaching staff or was it and it was ignored for a more valuable metric experience

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I don't recall too many supporters.

I would wait until after a full game play this weekend before doing final Talley

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Its why I am pissed at Tomlin, he either flat out put friendship before the team or he let his friendship cloud his judgment of Vicks abilities. I think its the former because even after witnessing some of the worst QB play ever put on display in NFL history, he still wasnt going to pull him, took an injury to get Vick off the field.

10. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I just have this image of the doctor whispering to Vick: "One word, and it can all be over. One word: hamstring. Say that word, and it all goes away..."

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Tom Brady's scouting report when he went into the draft, lucky he was drafted in the 6th round..........

Tom Brady Positives: Good height to see the field. Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games. Has some Brian Griese in him and is a gamer. Generally plays within himself. Team leader.

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the '99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Summary: Is not what you're looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.

13. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    The irony...

14. blackNgold

blackNgold Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2014

Ehhh bad performance yes, worst no.

I'm going to put a few names up now...

Sam Bradford
    Eli Manning
    Peyton Manning (6-0!?)
    Colin Kaepernick

Are you picking up what I'm laying down? Vick did not play any worse then any of these players and 3 went to the Super Bowl. I'm not saying he did good but he did not lose any game single handedly. It's time to stop bashing the guy and just be happy that we have a shot to go 3-1 without Ben

P.s. Maybe Tomlin is starting to realize that the best option is not always the most experienced. ie scobee & vick.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  15. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    It really can't be anything else because vicks skills and abilities suck at this point in his career and everyone knows it. Even tomlin.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

I said some of the worst play and it was. But quite frankly, -6 yards very well could have been the worst ever. The guy was putrid beyond belief.

And only Kap has even remotely approached the level of crappiness that Vick displayed. I dont know how those other names even get mentioned.

I wouldnt lay any bets on Tomlin learning anything, hes quite stubborn.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. blackNgold

Dec 15, 2014
    He had -6 because he was doing the Steelers a favor and taking care of the ball. He did exactly what Tomlin told him to do and that was not lose the game by himself lol. He thew the ball 8 times in almost 3 quarters. Add 50 yards rushing. He almost threw one pick yes but most QBs that face Arizona do.

Peyton has done absolutely nothing all year.

Eli just played the worst game I've ever watched.

Bradford played even worse in the same game.

Kaepernick was playing exactly like old Vick at the beginning of the year, but now he's giving the ball to other players to give them an oppurtunty to win the game. Instead of throwing interceptions like it was his 2nd job. Just like Vick was told to play and Landry will be told to play this Sunday. Ball protection...

Like I said... Vick did his job. Some times I wonder how half of you even cheered for Batch. He did the EXACT same on offense. Mostly nothing. He just didn't make mistakes like most 2nd stringers do. Kept games close enough to have the "chance" to win.

Guess what? It works! They should be 5-1. (Not Vicks fault)

What happens if Landry has a bad game and a bunch of stupid mistakes? (Even though they probably won't give him that chance) Every single comment about him will revert and go back to Tomlin. "Why didn't we have a better option." The only reason this is even a thing is because Vick was signed. I don't like him either but don't throw your football IQ out the window lmao.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  18. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Ummm hogwash. You are making it sound like Vick just needed the shackles removed and his play would have been better. Ball security wasn't the reason he couldn't throw a 5 yard slant. Ball security wasn't the reason he couldn't read a defense and audible to the hot route, and protecting the ball wasn't why he couldn't go through his progressions and throw the ball. He stunk plain and simple and should never have started for a team that runs an offense that is so far removed from what his is comfortable with. Holding up bad QB play from other QB'S this season doesn't change his play but it does demonstrate that there are more than one way to win and lose in this league. I think you will find that Jones will be asked to make throws tomorrow and he will make them. Vick simply could not run the offense. Maybe if he had two years and plays designed to his skill set he could complete some throws as it is he didn't and looked horrible. It was what it was, pathetic and horrible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Every QB's job is to protect the football, he did nothing extroidinary in that regard and if not for 3 SD defenders rudely denying 3 gifts, Vick would have had 3 interceptions that game. In his first action after Ben went down he promptly put the ball on the ground which we fortunately recovered. It's shear luck that Vick avoided any turnovers. A back up QB is required to do more than just protect the football anyway.

Just because Peyton isnt putting up Peyton like numbers doesn't mean he is playing as poorly as Vick did, he threw for almost 300 yards his last game, Vick would need 7 games to approach that yardage.

Eli and Bradford havent approached the level of garbage that Vick did either, I dont know how you are using them as examples to defend your position. Kaps last game of 124 yards was Vick-esq like. Hes the only one of the 4, thats it. I dont know what that matters anyway, they dont play for the Steelers, they can suck all they want, doesnt matter.

Another comparison I am not understanding, Batch was 25 of 36 for 276 yards when he led them past the Ravens. I wish Vick sucked that bad.

Yes, Vick shoulders the blame. Only reason they won any games is because of the defense rising to the occasion.

Maybe some will say that, I won't nor will any others that have been defending Landry from the beginning. Not that I think they will get the chance too, I think Landry will play above the line, something Vick failed miserably at.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. blackNgold

Dec 15, 2014
    One game arguments are rather pointless. As I see it, he beat the Ravens and Chargers. Cardinals game was bad, but you had to figure with such a good defense in Arizona

No matter how you look at it the steelers are 4-2, should be 5-1, and Vick played in 4 of the games. Sounds like Tomlin did his job to me. Ugly maybe but sometimes Ugly wins Super Bowls. Can you absolutely say that Tomlin made the wrong decision? Nope. Yet everyone wants their heads lol.

We could have had a Brandon Weeden if you prefer over Vick. We could be 2-4, and we could be thinking maybe next year. But we are not and Vick is apart of that like it or not.

21. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Sophistry. Your conclusions which may be correct are not supported by the facts. Vick was involved in four games. The Steelers record was 3-1 for those four games but that doesn't mean he played well in any of those games. He had a shining moment late in the Chargers game and that might have been the bright spot for his three game. I will give credit for that moment but the rest of the time he was just plain bad. The defense rose to the occasion and kept the team in those games and Landry Jones when called upon made plays to help seal a win last Sunday at the end of hte day they are 4-2 but that has more to do with the Team than Vick's play on the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. blackNgold

Dec 15, 2014
    They are supported by the only fact that even matters. 4-2. Lol. Yea he played sub par (not bad), but if Tomlin played Landry and he plays bad then he's still a bad coach.

The Steelers are 4-2 and he's a bad coach for playing a QB that didn't lose a game hahah it's just stupid to me.

Football is a team effort no matter the QB...

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Better to be lucky than good I guess.

Never said Tomlin was a bad coach. Just selfish and stupid for bringing his buddy in and THEN sticking with him after how painfully apparent it was that the guy has no football left in him.

I'll take 4-2 and enjoy the game tomorrow knowing Vick is where he belongs, catching splinters. Actually he deserves to be out of football and will be as soon as this handout for him is over. No one will sign him ever again.

• Like Like x 1
  24. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    If Vick was merely "sub par" I'm HIGHLY curious to find out what you would call "bad". I hope, as a Steelers, fan that we never have to. LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  25. blackNgold

Dec 15, 2014
    Vick has been getting the "nobody will ever sign him again" for years lol.

Um...

I'd like to see your standards for a good game.. Oh wait.. 2 tds by anybody not Vick. Lmao!

Once again... 4-2... Vick at QB. The hate is real for the guy

let's all just hope that Ben comes back and does miracles.