1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Texas DL T'Vondre Sweat

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Jan 30, 2024.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Draft Sweat to play NT, cut Larry O, and then have Benton and Heyward be the DT. This guy is freaking huge at 6'4 362lbs, he would help shore up the run defense.

• Like Like x 2
  2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I like him in the 3rd, if he lasts that long. Apparently he's looked good in Senior Bowl practices.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I might like him in the second.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Benton is born to play NT with his wrestling background; why in the world would you move Benton outside?

We already have a NT that is going to be here for years and years, don't need to invest early in a second one. Now Byron Murphy on the other hand would be one hell of a DT for the Steelers to draft.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have had my eye on him, motivation seems to be lacking. He could solve many problems.
    late 2nd?

6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Because Sweat is bigger and would require more double teams.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Believe people are seriously underestimating the potential of Keeanu Benton here. Even by the average NFL Defensive Lineman standards, his pass rushing chops are very well developed. Not advanced like a Chris Jones, a Cameron Heyward or even an Aaron Donald but a lot better than others believe.

For that matter, it will not shock me if either Sweat, Mckinnely from Texas A&M or another is given serious interest later on during the Drafr Cycle. I do leave one little tibit though. Should the team cut bait with Larry O?! Book one of these two massive NTs to be selected later on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    yes please add this guy. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Apparently he refused to be weighed at the Senior Bowl. That listed 347 might be closer to 370.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    if he can move like he does at 347 so be it. he's a freak and i want he and benton and cam on the field together. draft TJ tampa in round one and move up if they have to in round two and get this kid. i know i know we need a center and tackle. we have a tackle or two or three so we could probably get by with a center or get one by free agency. jergans from wake forest seems like a decent prospect. we have our draft pick from last year that has a year under his belt. (spencer anderson) he could play RT and move jones to the left. jergans has experience and some size at center. there are other centers as well in this draft and a ton of tackles. we do still have moore for another year. :cool:

12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    If they would have made the move for a new OL coach (Munch) then I would feel that T position might actually be something they could take a look at in later rounds and try and find a DL, CB, and/or C in the earlier rounds. Point being Munch made that line damn good, sometimes with average guys. We really don't know what we have with Anderson or Dylan Cook for that matter. There was talk Cook was coming along, but talk from who?? lol. The new O asst they hired worked in Atlanta on the OL, but really have no idea who he is, except he is familiar with the new OC. If a guy is that special and BPA in that draft position then of course you follow through, but confidence level is low that they get anything right on the line until they prove they can.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    moore is still here. don't forget we probably are looking for a right tackle spot and not a left tackle starter. we don't know what these guys can do if inserted in a game at that position. pat meyer said cook was looking good. meyer is not a terrible coach. it took some time in both seasons but he also had a new guard added. finally was allowed to bench the right tackle. brought in a rookie at right tackle that did pretty well. cole was part of the problem with his snaps not really his blocking most of the time. munchak took a year or more to get those guys playing well too. not saying it's equal but we might not be as far off as many think. i don't know. they seem interested in the big guys and not just on the offensive side. we have some trouble on that side as well. dunbar is in some hot water as well i saw. :cool:

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I wouldn't worry about his weight right now, if he shows up to the combine out of shape and refuse to be weighed, then it would be a red flag.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I'm with you on that, I think immediate need a C is far more important than T, and as I said if at 20 they really see the T that could provide solid bookends for the next decade then its no an issue of no brainer, its solidifying that position for years. I think C is the need of the present, have heard there are no of maybe 1 in that position with a first round grade. That really does not bother me, at 20 it's not really a reach to take a guy who could be taken at 33 and wont be there at 56 lol, trade talk and all..coulda woulda shoulda, just get the guy you want.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

like last year we got the first two biggest bang for the buck in jones and jpj. two guys we liked and two positions of need. that's what i'm hoping for. herbig was a huge bonus. with him, we can see guys outplay their draft position at times. i'm kind of hoping spencer anderson can be one of those. he mostly played tackle at maryland. i don't think tackle is a must have need. there also are some free agent centers available. two are from atlanta. how far has mccollum come along? can cole work on his snaps? there are options. :cool:

17. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    He won't. Early to mid 2nd

18. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    I'd rather have Powers Johnson one, and Sweat 2nd. Like the idea of beefing up both lines to start the draft.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    If that is our first 2 draft picks then I would like that a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    so you are happy with jpj and patrick peterson manning the other teams wr's? we are pretty empty at CB. i know the sentiment is center but are we going to be better with our ILB and CB mess? i have to get on the STD train this year and hope we go corner in the first. when was the last time we did that? we are in trouble at these spots. peterson is too old and we don't know if holcomb will be back. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am hoping the Steelers try signing le,'darious Sneed and build oL/DL
    Somehow hopefully through draft.

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it will be telling if they start signing some free agents. do you do that before the draft or wait and then the top guys are gone and hope your guys are there in the draft. it's a crap shoot.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Get 1 free agent, Trice, and the kid STD wanted us to draft in the 1st rd last year who's now on our practice squad. That should give us 3 attempts at a CB2. Plus we can draft Mglogtern with one of our 4th round picks.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    if trice is ready. he's been hurt a lot and major injuries to both knees. :cool:

25. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    I personally don't trust Trice. Even if he comes back next year and plays great. He looks the type who'd always be injured and you can't pencil him.down for missing 5-8 games a season type.

I'm simply saying with Trice, Rush and getting a Free Agent corner. That would be 3 corners plus a Sainristil in the 3rd or Mcgloghthern, or Jarian James in the 4th... That should be enough variables talent to cover CB2 and slot.

JPJ just seem like an all Pro Center prospect. And we have a serious weakness at the position. It's just a match made in heaven.