1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Terry Bradshaw - Going Deep

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel machine, Feb 24, 2022.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    No offense. Do you know the steel curtain?

2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Come on, Mash, do you really think Neil O’Donnell could have made some of those throws that Bradshaw made to win Super Bowls X, XIII, and XIV? Bradshaw affected the outcome of three of the four Super Bowls he played in. Watch the tape. When O’Donnell had a chance to be great, he was completing passes to Larry Brown. :rolleyes:

Bradshaw is greater than O’Donnell and it’s not even close!

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Sure that’s the defense our best quarterback played with

• Like Like x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Bradshaw made some head-scratchingly stupid throws but, not when the SB was on the line. He-who-shall-remain-nameless made 2 really stupid throws and it cost us SB 30.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Do you really think Bradshaw would have got us to the post season?..... Don't be so quick to respond. Think about it and look it up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    The case for O'Donnell. (And I'm sure most of y'all aren't going to like it. Because you just go off what the internet tells you and don't know old school football).

Neil.....
    Neil set his first year pretty much as a rookie QB generally did for that time. Every year from 92-95 we went into the post season. With 95 him playing in the Superbowl where I say Larry and Neil were on different pages.

95 you're going to look at paper and say how Neil missed games. But let's look....
    - First game he was knocked out. But he put up enough points that when slash came in they still won. And that's with slash throwing 3 interception.
    - slash did have a great game. But he also shared a game with the other backup to where they both looked like complete crap. And Neil finally returned with the Steelers being 3-3.
    - if you want to see what a QB has to do without the steel curtain. Go watch the 95 bears vs Steelers game.
    - raiders game was already won by Neil. But we finally seen a defense showed effort with being 2 fumble recovery's returned for a TD.
    - GB game thigpen dropped the easiest pass in the endzone and lost. But whatever.
    - Neil was very impressive with his post season game against the buffalo bills. Which the buffalo bills were the best in their career from 90-93.
    - Indy was a great TEAM win.
    - facing the cowboys. Everyone was saying how Larry and Neil were on different pages..... But as I said from the start. Most of y'all aren't going to like what I say, because you're just watching highlights and not the entire season. And point and case @santeesteel literally proving my point with putting all that blame on Neil.

So you have a QB who undoubtedly took us into the post season.

It's sad how many are in here acting like Terry did all the work. When he was littered with injuries and had two games where he finally showed up in the Superbowl. While the rest of one season he had to have the help of the second QB to get them to the post season. And he replied on the curtain that literally won games on their own with points and Terry laying a zero..... I give Terry 3 seasons of being a legit good QB. But y'all discredit the steel curtain way to much.

So yes, I say give the steel curtain with Neil and our team would have been where teams feared facing us and not just feared facing the steel curtain.

So quit asking me if Neil would have won that many Superbowl with the steel curtain. And instead ask me how Terry would have been with the 92-95 defense. And I'll tell you, no way we would have had a post season every year. Maybe a couple.

PS. No where am I saying Terry sucked. I liked him in 3 seasons very much. And like how he came in for 2 Superbowl wins. But I will not discredit the steel curtain for what they did for us.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m pretty sure I know a little about old school football and have probably been following the Steelers for as long as you have (mid-70s). Nobody is saying Terry did all the work and nobody is discrediting the Steel Curtain defense. But you’re penalizing Bradshaw because he had the Steel Curtain. The D O’Donnell had wasn’t bad. It wasn’t the Steel Curtain but it was pretty darn good.

In no universe is Neil O’Donnell as great as Terry Bradshaw! To me greatness is established based on how well you perform at the most crucial moments in the biggest games. Nobody was better than Bradshaw in that regard. Not Neil, not even Ben. I do understand the argument that some make that Ben is the greatest QB in Steelers history even though I disagree based on my personal criteria above. But I never imagined that I’d be having an argument with a fellow Steeler fan about whether or not Neil O’Donnell was a greater quarterback than Terry Bradshaw. I’m almost waiting for you to say that you’re just kidding around. Are you really being serious or are you practicing for a debate in which you have to argue the opposite point of what you really believe? Maybe that’s it! Man, you had me there for a minute! :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I guess you should change your name to Knute Rockne, you know so much about "old school football". I'm just an internet observer since I didn't start following football until 1969.
    Who, exactly, is discounting the 70s defenses? We all know Terry's flaws. He was, as you say, an average quarterback who happened to shine in the big games! O'What's his name was a good regular season QB who choked when it counted most. He was so damned good that he went on to be a star for the Jets......no? In #30, I could buy the receiver turning out instead of in once but, twice??? I don't believe he threw that game on purpose.

9. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    You’re being a little harsh on Mr. O’Donnell. I mean, if Neil were your son you’d think he was better than Bradshaw too. ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    "Neil O'Donnell should die of Gonorrhea and rot in hell!"

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Don't put words in my mouth.

12. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    So Bradshaw showing up for the end. Matters.
    His 3 seasons. Matter.
    And that's where I can say he's better than O'Donnell.

But like I said above, I can make a case for both.

13. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Honestly, Mash, I’ve seen your case for O’Donnell and it doesn’t hold water in my mind. I watched both quarterbacks throughout their careers and you just felt like Bradshaw could strike from anywhere on the field at any time. He wasn’t perfect and threw some boneheaded interceptions at times, but he was also a quarterback with once in a generation arm talent. I’d rank O’Donnell number three and he was an effective game manager and distributor of the football, but he wasn’t the dynamo that Bradshaw was. I do think that if NO hadn’t gotten greedy and decided to stay with the Steelers, he may have had a chance at another Super Bowl or two and would have improved his legacy.

• Like Like x 3
  14. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Your case is just that, YOUR case. The rest of us have opinions too. Ours are different than yours. Doesn't make you any more "old school" than anyone else nor, does it make your assessment any more valid.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I respect that.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Glad you understand that it's opinions on both sides of the matter. And that's what I started all of this off at.

I've said that several times in here.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    To anyone else who is quoting me. I'm not going to respond any further. I've stated my reason why I could make a case for Neil at #2. As well why I see Terry as #2.

• Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe He threw the game.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Sporty but anyone saying Neil O’Donnell and terry bradshaws name in the same sentence as far as great qbs for the Steelers is retarded. I stared watching Steelers in 74 and have missed few games in my life. First. The nfl game is light years different now compared to then. QBs could not throw every down like for a few reasons. The dba held the crap out of wrs back then so it took forever to get open and led to sacks. Second. The QBs got the crap knocked out of them every pass practically. Take a look at Bradshaw after immaculate reception of Lynn swan td in SB 10. Finally. The wrs would get their head bashed if they ran anything inside by linebackers or decapitated running fade route in cover two and got thrown a ball in between safety and corner. Watch Steelers Beene on 199@ something game. Hell even crap QBs get four thousand yards in todays 7on 7. Also. Terry called the plus for gods sake and did not piss a super bowl away like neil and Ben did 4-0 says it all

20. Ytownsteeler

Oct 2, 2015
    I would not be surprised I’d Neil threw the game either. Way too obvious intentional thrown picks to nobody. Maybe reason we did not match jets offer

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah and you believe Santa took you for a ride in a helicopter ;)

• Like Like x 1
  22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Neil had 2 good years here, I would say the Super Bowl year was a really good year. We were airing it out with Thigpen and the 4 and 5-wide sets...

But he left... he would have had to been the guy here and continue that success for way longer than that.

Honestly, I never saw Bradshaw play. I don't know how good he was. NFL Films only show his great throws in Superbowls, and just how awful he was in his early years.

Actually the Going Deep documentary was cool because you get to see extra footage of him playing in Pittsburgh you don't normally see. Seems like the back half of his career he was really dangerous throwing the ball. Going over 3000 yards was HUGE in those days.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He did. :smiley1:
    I was there. LoL

• Like Like x 1
  24. Ytownsteeler

Oct 2, 2015
    Neil did throw the game. He threw two passes directly to brown when no wide receivers were within ten yards of db

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Ytownsteeler

Oct 2, 2015
    Whether it was intentional or not is up to you to decide. If he did it on purpose which I don’t believe , it could not have been any more obvious

• Like Like x 1