1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrible Towel

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by pjgruden, Nov 17, 2011.

1. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    So, it seems lately that those in charge of marketing have started to go overboard, in my opinion.

First we had this
    http://secure.steelers.com/catalog/product/120292
    Then we had this
    http://secure.steelers.com/catalog/product/120293

I get that they have an item that they can make money on, but I just feel that this is not really what Myron would have wanted. I get the point of the pink towels, the black towels, even the towels with specific games or SB victories on them. But Camo? Christmas? Why is this really necessary?

What is everyone else's feelings on it?

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    wish I had thought of it so I could be making the money off of it

3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Not a big fan of the different color thing. I have a black and a gold one....not really a fan of the black. Hell, I don't really like my gold one because my "good" one was stolen. The new one has different material...not the same.

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Don't like em personally, but I guess I'm more of a traditionalist. They're a little too gimicky for me, but to each his own.
    :herewego!:

5. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I don`t like straying far from the traditional, either.
    I can see the commemorative ones for Superbowls, etc, but still gold, even though I did buy a Black one, just so I could hang a black-n-gold set, over the window...
    but...
    Doesn`t a good percentage of the money, go to charity, anyway? It`s not like they are making it a personal "cash-cow", right?
    At least that was what I remember reading about it...
    Whether that still applies to all the variations, I don`t know, but I do know that Myron made sure a good percentage of the sales of the "Official" Towels, went to charity. (Not sure which one(s), though).

6. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    There are a lot of people who have a lot of things Steelers. Come Christmas time, these are items that could be bought for them. So I have no problem with it. Besides, the more popular it is, the more it pisses people in other football towns off.

7. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    On a side note...
    It makes me SICK to see every other team in the league having their own version of the towel, or their own version of the "Here We Go... Steelers... Here we GO!", chant!
    Aren`t they creative enough to come up with their own slogans/traditions?!?!
    Imitation may be the most sincere form of flattery(unintentional, or not)...
    But it just makes me MAD!!! WE started it!!! It`s OURS!!!
    HANDS OFF!!!
    O.K., Rant over... Just had to get that off my chest. ;)

8. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Myron created the Towel. Trademarked it under his name and turned all rights over to Allegheny Valley School.Of which his son Dan was a student.It is a school for students with mental retardation and physical disabilities.Dan has autisum.Myrons selfless act raised over 3 million and counting for the school and over 900 and counting students of the school recieved help they may have never recieved without Myron.R.I.P. my friend.Unlimited YOI to you sir!!!!

9. SteelersGirl25

SteelersGirl25 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    :this!: I was JUST complaining about this to my hubs last week or the week before.
    I didn't know that! What a great guy- thanks for sharing the info. :)

10. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    So if ya buy a Pink,Black,Yellow towel (pink I would guess a % goes to breast cancer as it should!! and Myron im sure would NOT have a problem with that.)Wave those towels in memory of Myron.He made the STEELERS what they are with out ever stepping foot on the field!!! :towel:

11. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Ugh, I'm not a fan of the camo Terrible Towel at all, but to each his own I guess. I'll stick with my plain yellow with black lettering :)