1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrell Edmunds versus

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, May 22, 2018.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I managed to find two vids showing all plays

And for fun, an old high school basketball layup.

Definitely like how he gets in the box and tackles. Made some plays in coverage. Missed some plays in coverage.

2. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Hope he's gets coached up well. There are moments on the field where his movement seems to match his mental processing. Both seem to stutter at times. As if he can either move or think but not both simultaneously. Sometimes it makes him look lost. Now, when he fully recognizes where the ball is and is going to be he closes fast and seems a much surer tackler than Mitchell was. But like Mitchell he also seems to be there a step too late because he doesn't recognize quickly enough. If the ball is in the air also it seems as if he's unaware, just plays the man. Now presnap he seems to making ALL the calls. That is nice. But I see with my own eyes and a general sniff test that Edmund's play on the field is that of someone who could have been picked in the 2nd or 3rd round. But I'm not going to quantify his communication skills and his raw athleticism (which doesn't show up on tape) and say he is not worthy of a 1st round pick. He could have been making that whole Hokie D much better as a unit.

3. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Plays like a second or third rounder. Decent tackler but does not play the ball well more of a strong type safety. Don't expect much from him this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Raw athleticism isn't enough; Steelers think they can "coach" instincts, and that's just stupid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    OK, I watched most of both vids. What I saw was in the box safety play, but in his "successful" coverage attempts, the ball was under-thrown. He is going to HAVE to cover in the NFL at least some. I see him having trouble with deep seam passes and double moves to the point of us giving up huge yardage on some plays. And for this you use a first round pick?

7. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Yeah, same type of player Davis is, I really think the Steelers need to change their evaluation process. I think they look at how the athleticism of Shazier panned out with his play and apply it to other positions. The difference is Shazier has football instincts, Davis doesn't have them and from the looks of the videos Edmunds doesn't have it either, another box safety with no coverage skills.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    :applaud: I applaud your vision, sir. You nailed it: Shazier and his freak athleticism worked out because he had football instincts; these coaches probably think they "taught" him those instincts, thus can teach them to others like Davis and TE. They are WRONG. This is a colossal error and will hurt us for years until they realize they are wrong on this.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Rawsteel73

Rawsteel73 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    and when was this qouted by the coaching staff?

10. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    You don't need a quote, all you need to do is watch. They draft guys who are super athletic, but you watch the tape and you see a guy who makes a few plays but not the kind of dominant performances you'd expect from a high draft pick. If the coaches didn't think they could teach these athletes how to be better then why draft them in the first place?

Because of the rules in place teams are looking at more "hybrid" type players. LBs who have enough size and strength to be a force in the front 7 but with enough speed to even play safety. Bud Dupree, explosive off the ball but going into 4th season and still hasn't progressed because he isn't a great player, he got by on his athleticism alone, I still say he is a bust.

Watch the tape on Edmunds, he too seems to get by on athleticism alone rather than instinct and ability, that doesn't work in the NFL. Watch Sean Davis, he gets lost when he has to pick a guy up in zone defense, that is lack of instinct, and he has a lot of trouble covering man to man, that is lack of ability. He has the physical gifts to be great but so far he isn't progressing like you would hope, and that is the point. The coaches are drafting on a players potential because of their athleticism and not the tape on how they play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Like it or not the Coaches are going to have to mold and create these Rover types . Edmunds may or may not get it , but he has the physical tools that's all you can do.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He made that up. He does that.

• Disagree Disagree x 1