1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrell Edmunds probably coming back on the cheap

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Mar 24, 2022.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah but thats not what I said. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Are you really making the argument that teams should draft based off those rankings?

2. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    And you can literally do that with every draft after the fact. It’s really disturbing how you pretend this isn’t hindsight.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    We got 3 players we can go after.
    Edmund
    Kazee
    Honey badger

So they might be waiting for the first to go. And then making a lower offer on the next.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Edmunds was the right pick for the Steelers at that time. It may not have worked out, but it was the right move. Hindsight don't make you right.

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    No. The primary argument I'm making is that just because a team decides it is not interested in a player doesn't mean they are right. I keep seeing people argue the opposite, implying that the Steelers were right to pass on Leonard because they didn't want him. No, it was actually stupid of them not to want him, just as it was stupid to draft Edmunds that high.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He was never the right pick. He was always a reach. He was always a player who, at his best, is nothing special because he doesn't make enough big plays. He was always a physically gifted player with terrible instincts. The Steelers have actually done a good job coaching him up to mediocrity, but no way in hell should you be drafting a guy whose upside is mediocre in the first round.

That is not hindsight at all. I criticized the pick from the moment they made it. All the time since then has done is provide more evidence that I was right.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    There's such a massive disconnect between the two parties here, it's actually insane. Yes, it is 100% fact that Leonard turned out to be a better player than Edmunds. No one is arguing that point. The disconnect is coming from how people are interpreting the situation. For some reason you are saying that it was somehow inevitable that this outcome would come to pass because Leonard was rated higher in some pre-draft lists made by wannabe scouts and "experts". The Steelers were wrong to have Edmunds graded higher because the "lists" mostly didn't (some lists obviously had Edmunds higher as well). This is the part of the argument that is making it hard for people to take you seriously on. Literally nobody is saying Edmunds is a better player at this moment in time.

What it seems like the prevailing argument from the other posters is that they (and me) trust the Steelers' draft process. We would rather just trust that they are going to get it right and roll with the misses, since the "Steeler way" has been more successful on draft day than nearly any other team in the entire league. They were "right" to trust their board, even though it ended up being wrong in this particular instance. The second we lose the "Steeler way" and start trusting "lists" and outside noise, we then lose our edge in this area and run the risk of becoming a team that drafts poorly.

Guys get drafted based on their measurables all the time with the hope that they can be taught to become a good NFL player. It shows that NFL teams value potential in their draft process, not just tape. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people on this board fall in love with a player based nearly solely on his height/weight/speed measurables. "OMG a corner who is 6'2" and runs a 4.4? We HAVE to have him". Edmunds measured over 6'0'', weighed 220 lbs, and ran a 4.47 with a 41.5'' vert and a 134 inch broad jump. He then went on to interview super well with teams. This combination obviously vaulted him up team's boards to a position higher than pre-draft lists accounted for. I mean look at Malik Willis. He is a perfect example of this phenomenon. He was rated a potential late first round to second round pick not even a month ago and now we are talking about potentially needing to trade into the top 5 picks if we want to draft him. Has he become a better QB in the past month? No. Does his film match up with where he will be drafted? Hell no. If you look solely at his tape he's barely a top 10 QB prospect, let alone top 10 prospect in the whole draft. He's inaccurate, doesn't feel pressure well, doesn't take care of the ball, is known to be "easily rattled", has poor mechanics, he has essentially no development as a NFL QB prospect at all... but he has great speed and got to show off his cannon of an arm, and now teams are salivating at the possibility that this kid can be the next big thing in the NFL.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Nope. You are reading it wrong from the very beginning. The lists aren't why the outcome was inevitable. They were wrong, too. In hindsight, they had Leonard way too low.

The lists are the indication that it was possible to foresee that Edmunds would turn out to be a bad choice because he was taken too high. It was also foreseeable that Leonard would be a better player. Not everybody saw it, but some did.

The second paragraph is where you, and others, go completely off the rails. Trust the Steelers' draft process all you want, but that doesn't mean their mistakes aren't mistakes. They are. Reaching for Edmunds that high was a mistake. Passing on Leonard was a mistake. By your way of thinking, every pick is a good one because it is the guy they wanted. I'm sure the team loves your fanboyish loyalty, but by your logic, none of their picks can be criticized. Sorry, but that's utter bull****.

Also, in case you haven't noticed, I've been writing all along that Willis is being overrated and I want no part of him for the Steelers. I have pointed out that teams are foolishly falling in love with the physical tools, which is even worse at quarterback than any other position. Potential is more than physical tools. It is about instincts. It is about processing speed. It is about desire, intelligence, and confidence. Ignoring those things at most positions is stupid. Doing so with a quarterback is disastrous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats not my argument. They obviosuly weren’t right to pass on him.

10. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Never said that Edmunds was the "correct" choice. There are plenty of other players other than Leonard that would've been better as well (I mentioned Jesse Bates in an earlier post). Its fair to criticize picks, I just refuse to have a conniption over it because Edmunds turned out to be a serviceable player at the very least and we aren't going to get every pick right. In hindsight would Leonard (or Lamar Jackson, Nick Chubb, Courtland Sutton, Christian Kirk, Jesse Bates, among others) have been a better pick as it stands now? Yes. But I will continue to trust that the Steelers organization will be correct far more often than they are not, since their draft history affords them that trust. 3 of the 4 selections before Edmunds were Shazier, Dupree, and Watt. They earned that trust with reputation and results. When the results start to falter, I will become less likely to trust the organization knows what they are doing. When our picks start looking more and more like Artie Burns, Jarvis Jones, or Ziggy Hood more regularly, then I can start being a concerned cynic. Until then you take the few L's that we take and look forward to the big wins we are sure to have in the future.

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I wasn't familiar with Edmunds before they picked him, after the run on ILBs that year I liked Jessie Bates for the Steelers, I agree Edmunds was a reach.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Can't you make that same argument for other mistakes in the draft, taking Tee Martin over Tom Brady, taking Josh Dobbs over George Kittle and Gabe Rivera over Dan Marino.

• Like Like x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You just made My argument about why I don't want M. Willis, or any of the Qbs. No 1st round player should be drafted on measurable.
    IMO. That's fine for 3rd on down....Again JMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It isn't yours, but it is the argument of many posters on this site.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You keep trying to present this as if it is hindsight. I knew it was a terrible pick that very night. So did many others.

I am not throwing, nor have I ever thrown, a conniption over Edmunds. I have, correctly, pointed out that he was a terrible choice from day one. I think very highly of Colbert, but he's not infallible. Edmunds is proof of that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I thought of bringing up Rivera over Marino, which is in the neighborhood, but that was a different owner, front office, and head coach. (They didn't really have a GM back then if I remember correctly.)

Of course, passing on Kittle was a mistake, but it was one the whole league made multiple times. The same is true of Brady. Very few people thought highly of him. That's not the same as blowing a first-round pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think Jarvis Jones at pick #15 was even more compelling proof.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You’re obsessed with this. Let’s say you’re 100% right. What does that get you?

• Like Like x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Oh....GEEZZZZ!!!
    The T. Edmunds pic seems like genius compared 2 the J. Jones pick.....that's how bad that was.

20. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    But it is hindsight though. You thought, and so did many others. No one can actually KNOW if a pick is bad on draft day. Your thought ended up being right, but you can't know how a player will perform before they ever suit it up.

• Like Like x 1
  21. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Yeah that was the worst one by K. Colbert. By far.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Hindsight is making up your mind after the evidence is already in. That's not what happened. I was certain they had made a bad decision before he even played a snap for them. You really should understand what a word means before you use it next time.

23. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    guess you forgot Troy, Clark, Hope, and Mitchel (to name a few). All good or great safeties that could also tackle and support the run.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I have not. My point is that a safety that is weak against the run isn't HALF of your problems with run defense. That's just absurd.

25. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Ziggy Hood be like....

• Like Like x 1